Robert Miles
Dreamland

by fred durst riffs harder than you USER (6 Reviews)
May 12th, 2017 | 22 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: R.I.P. Robert Miles (1969 - 2017)

There’s something about the death of musicians, particularly those who have soundtracked the formative years of your life, that hits harder than any other. The tragic death of Roberto Concina at just 47 hit me like a ton of bricks. The man more commonly known as Robert Miles was known mostly for just one song, and that song was called Children.

I can’t exactly remember the first time I heard Children. From primary school discos where my main focus was to consume as much sugar as possible and run around in a circle until I felt dizzy, to the loneliness I felt in secondary school. From the pain of my first break-up and the anxiety and depression that followed, to the ambivalence and apathy that dominates my psyche at present, Children has always been there to comfort me and to weep with me, or to smile and reminisce about younger years.

The timeless piano riff the track is built upon, the layers of atmospheric effects, the soft beat and the beautifully delicate synths all combine to create an anthem of epic proportions. Initially created from his grief for child victims of the Balkan war, the song became popular after Robert found that its ethereal and cathartic nature was helping reduce the level of car accidents caused by clubbers in Italy, whose inability to calm down after a night out gave rise to the term Saturday Night Slaughter. Soon, the song spread abroad and became an overnight worldwide hit.

For me personally, Children’s biggest attraction has always been the vast array of feelings it triggers in me, whether related to real events in my life or hypothetical ones. Over the course of my relationship with the song, my catalogue of emotional interpretations has only become larger and larger with every play. Some days I hear a sadness, a nostalgic melancholy for a loved one or a better time. Sometimes I’ll hear tears of joy, a glorious feeling of pride and hope for a future that has yet to come. Occasionally I’ll hear dancing and romance as I stare into a lover’s eyes. Whatever mood I am in, it fits, and because of that Children is perhaps the most important piece of music in my life.

Outside of Children, the other ten tracks present on Dreamland are also well worth a listen, if perhaps a bit dated and slightly underwhelming due to the opener’s pure brilliance. Subsequent singles Fable and One & One expand on the same formula by utilising dreamy female vocals synonymous with electronic music of the time, whilst closing track and other highlight Red Zone provides a slight change of pace with a harder beat reminiscent of the era’s dominant club music.

Whilst he deserves to be recognised for much more, Robert will inevitably be remembered by his magnum opus and defining moment, and that’s almost as good. He leaves behind a legacy as a man whose music touched the lives of many people.

May he rest in peace.

Glitterer GlittererThe Chainsmokers Memories...Do Not Open
Bayside VacancyJohnny Foreigner Waited Up 'til It Was Light
Melanie Martinez Cry Baby

May 12th 2017

this was kind of a personal review but this didn't have one yet so i thought a thread for this would be good

RIP

Digging: Pool Kids - Music to Practice Safe Sex To

butcherboy
May 12th 2017

nostalgia of being fucked out of my head at raves..

A lovely tribute, Sint.. Cheers!

Digging: The Vanity Set - The Vanity Set

May 12th 2017

thanks man, i think this is one of those nostalgia songs where people always have a memory attached to it

May 12th 2017

Haven't listened to this album in a while, but we're going to light a candle and spin it tonight (along with Organic)--very nice review/tribute.

Digging: The Bathers - Sunpowder

pjorn

nice job chinbro

pos

May 12th 2017

yes children is a classic and the rest is mostly forgettable as fuck

Kurisu
May 12th 2017

i feel like this might be good

May 13th 2017

"There’s something about the death of musicians...that hits harder than any other"

lol aggressively unrelatable hyperbole there*

May 13th 2017

i mean relatability is purely subjective, but the amount of people who were upset when Bowie died last year rather suggests there to be a trend

*imo

May 13th 2017

i was just sayin that there are much more emotionally troubling things then the news of an artist dying, but i really didnt hafta nit pick that. sry.

May 13th 2017

Lol, of course the death of a musician is taken especially hard on a music website--totally relatable.

May 13th 2017

again it was the hyperbole bit and was speaking for myself but yeee i already took a step to the side

truthfully just said something cause my grandfather has been in a coma for about a week so it felt weird reading that - not looking for sympathy or anything its just incomparable

May 13th 2017

Sorry to hear that, Went through something similar with my dad. It's hard... Hang in there.

zakalwe
May 13th 2017

Fuck right off this is classic. Children had its place on some eventful nights out but this album is High Street Top Shop fodder.

SomeGuyDude
May 13th 2017

2 paragraphs about the writer.

2 paragraphs about one song.

1 paragraph that mentions a few of the other songs in passing.

Yep, great review all right.

May 13th 2017

I mean i literally said it was a tribute/personal review, so if you're going to be a condescending arsehole at least be relevant

May 13th 2017

Also sorry to hear about that space, wish you and your grandfather best

May 14th 2017

thanks guys means a lot, idk why i came in here like that with that first comment so my bad

parksungjoon