Noveller
A Pink Sunset For No One

by Dewinged USER (13 Reviews)
February 16th, 2017 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A pink sunset for no one... but you.

There is something extremely captivating about Noveller's music that attracts ambient music aficionados and hardcore fans all alike. The masterful craftsmanship in her guitar sound, cultivated for many years alongside renowned composers like Rhys Chatham and having participated in extraordinary music ensembles and performances throughout extensive touring have helped Noveller's music to please a constantly growing and wider audience.

Brooklyn-based Sarah Lipstate took fly for the first time as Noveller back in 2009 with "Paint on the Shadows", her first daring experiment, an album well based on a double neck guitar sitting on her lap while loops and delayed strings twinkle with each other to form an outstanding piece of guitar extravaganza. Lipstate has been a constant and hard-working artist for a very long time. With a whooping album count of eight fantastic releases, "A Pink Sunset For No One" is her latest and long awaited follow-up to the already mind blowing "Fantastic Planet". What I found in her most recent work is a Noveller whose sound slightly relaxes the noisy distortion walls of her previous works in favor of well-defined melodies and textures, but keeping the intricate mystery surrounding the instrumentation used to build it, as every musician’s best kept secret should.

The album opens up with “Deep Shelter”, in which a soft chiptune line slowly blends and gives away to Eno-esque keys, soon to be confronted by a looming straight up piano; Noveller soon states that she intends to take the listener through a wide variety of magic landscapes and remarkable passages, distancing herself from extreme experimentation in favor of a more balsamic feel. The subtle and rarely use of vocals in the esoteric "Rituals", reminiscent of bands like Grails or even some Dead Can Dance, the classical bits in "Trails and Trials", drowned in unforgiving synths that would make any grown-up anchored in the 80s swoon with nostalgia, or the absolutely perfect sci-fi feel of "Corridors"; Noveller makes the most out of her songwriting skills, with an extraordinary selection of ingredients and spices, like a renowned chef, she knows how to boil and stew every sound bit and wave to melt the listener’s brain cells with aural pleasures.

The quasi-heavy metal ballad arpeggio of "Another Dark Hour", while synths gracefully dance on the background leads to the Tangerine Dream branded harshness of "Emergence", firmly closing Noveller's latest solitary release in what it may be one of the most solid ambient outputs of the year.

Not only was 2017 already shaping up as a great year for ambient music with new releases by Brian Eno, Matteo Vallicelli or William Basinski, Noveller now tops it proudly with this refreshing "A Pink Sunset For No One", an album that hopefully will serve you as one more color palette to paint the world as you wish.

Hazel English Just Give In / Never Going HomeMadonnatron Madonnatron
Kardashev The AlmanacLizzard Wizzard Total War Power Bastard
Cold Body Radiation The Orphean LyreKing Woman Created In The Image Of Suffering
3.2
good

February 15th 2017

I would have left this review to Fripper, who would have probably made it justice, but I took a chance so this wonderful album doesn't go under your radar.

Check it people, it's lovely.

Feedback as always appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to link it. Stream it here: https://novellermusic.bandcamp.com/album/a-pink-sunset-for-no-one

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

literallyzach
February 16th 2017

Solid review, this looks like a really interesting record. Cover art is dope

Digging: GFOTY - GFOTYBUCKS

AdolfChrist
February 16th 2017

Desert Fires is awesome, might check this.

Digging: Swarms - Black Chapel Sun

February 16th 2017

Thanks Zach, indeed, the cover is really nicely done.

Adolf, you might dig this man. I still haven't checked all her stuff, there's a lot to it, but planning to give it a shot this week.

TwigTW
February 16th 2017

You're right; this is lovely. It's great to hear ambient featuring guitars instead of synths for a change--nice review.

Digging: Exquirla - Para Quienes An Viven

zaruyache
February 16th 2017

apparently I liked Fantastic Planet so I gotta check this one too woop.

February 16th 2017

Thanks for the pos guys, yeah Twig she has such a creative mind when it comes to sound crafting, I am studying her albums cause I would like to incorporate smth similar to my stuff too.

Hope you dig it Zaru!

DoofusWainwright
February 16th 2017

This sounds real interesting Dewi, will definitely check

Top review btw, pos

DoofusWainwright
February 16th 2017

Ok this is pretty much awesome, can see me reaching for this when I feel like spinning Emeralds

FullOfSounds
February 16th 2017

Dude nice to see you getting into reviewing. Record looks interesting, I'll give it a look tonight

Digging: Hannah Diamond - Pink and Blue

February 16th 2017

Thanks Doof sempai, really glad you liked this one, it's growing on me lately.

Yeah Full, still got a long way to go but I am trying ;) Thanks for the pos, fam.

Chortles

kylemccluskey

can't wait to hear this

Sunnyvale
February 17th 2017

Looks interesting, giving this a spin now.

Sunnyvale

Man, this is so good.

February 17th 2017

Glad you like it Sunny m/

FullOfSounds
February 20th 2017

this is extremely good

February 22nd 2017

Yeah man, some really top moments in this album.

Frippertronics
July 26th 2017

"I would have left this review to Fripper, who would have probably made it justice"

honest to god didn't even know she put an album out until last week wtf

Digging: T. Rex - The Slider