Bedwetter
Volume 1: Flick Your Tongue Against Your Teeth...

by FourthReich USER (2 Reviews)
February 10th, 2017 | 87 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Im not sure what it was.

As if it were a wave and I, a mere rock, it covers me, encasing me in its membrane. It then recedes, and I am free again. Sleep is my only escape. Though even then I am not always safe, as a mere dream can usher it back into my fragile mind. It is impossible to forget. I always fear its return. These days it is less fear however, and more so impatiently awaiting. I know it's coming. It has taken longer and longer to recede, it has overstayed its welcome, and no one has any answer, and nothing helps.

It is my depression, it comes in many shapes and sizes and does not discriminate. I love being happy, I miss being happy. I do not chose when I am happy and I certainly do not chose when to be depressed. It just happens, like the tides receding.

Travis Miller is an artist from Richmond, Virginia. He has played in numerous bands and has performed under many monikers. In 2012 he gained underground fame for the release of his rap album, MISTA THUG ISOLATION, under the moniker, LIL UGLY MANE. The album showcased unbelievably well-crafted beats, rhymes, and wordplay. Though in 2013 Travis announced Lil Ugly Mane was “defunct”. He would no longer make music under the name, and planned one last release.

The final LIL UGLY MANE album, 2015’s, Oblivion Access, was just not the same as his previous efforts. It was not simply a new direction for Travis, it was not him experimenting with something. Oblivion Access showcased a person so entirely exhausted from depression, that his only outlet was making music. The lyrics were a cryptic introspection into a completely fractured mind. It was not LIL UGLY MANE, it was neither braggadocios nor ostentatious, it was the sounds of someone being torn at the limbs from the world’s most ambiguous and elusive disease. Then it was over. Like Travis promised, LIL UGLY MANE was done.

Fans got a lovely surprise in late 2016 however, as Travis decided to release a song, under a brand new moniker, Bedwetter. Just like LIL UGLY MANE, the name Bedwetter is hard to take seriously. Though once you decide to hit play on his first single, “Selfish”, and you hear Travis utter, “i get intrusive thoughts about cutting my fingers off”, the cheekiness of his new pseudonym immediately vanishes.

The first release from Bedwetter, entitled, volume 1: flick your tongue against your teeth and describe the present., is sonically, as close an artist can come to truly depicting depression. It picks up right where Oblivion Access, left off. Travis holds nothing back, the music is neither fun, nor is something you will ever hear in a club. At its root it is hard to categorize, he does indeed rap on songs like “Stoop Lights”. Though songs like “this is not my stomach”, make the album sound more like a Boards of Canada effort, than a hip hop LP. This is the sound of a person who has nothing else to turn to but making art. This is what it sounds like that when one has tried everything, and exhausted every resource. There was nothing left to do for Travis but create.

From a musical standpoint the album succeeds in the same way that both John Frusciante’s, Smile from the Streets You Hold, and Converge’s Jane Doe, do. Both of these albums present rare looks within the minds of two artists who, at their lowest point in their lives, decided to record an album. It is not often we are presented with such a raw and unabashed peak into the mind of someone truly experiencing depression. It is tough to enjoy Bedwetter’s debut just like the other two aforementioned albums. Not because the music isn’t fantastic though. The lyrics are thought provoking and very well rhymed. “Haze of interference”, the consensus standout, presents this well as Bedwetter raps, “…If I was glass I'd revert back to sand… scattered through the sea… I could pass through your hands…”. As well written as the rhymes are, one almost feels guilty taking any pleasure in listening to someone who is literally crying for help, as he suffers though immense sadness. The production only exacerbates the sepulchral tone of the album. Travis Miller is well known for his crafty, Dilla-esque, use of samples, and this album certainly continues this theme.

For many, Bedwetter’s ,volume 1, will sound scattered, unorganized, and overall difficult to listen too. It covers a vast array of genres in mere minutes. This will certainly hinder the experience for some. Though for others this will seem all too fitting. It is hard to expect anything other than unequivocal disarray from someone who has reached their psychological breaking point. The haphazardness only further continues the beautifully morose theme of Travis Miller’s newest project.

As perfectly-insane as this album is, it should be most lauded for shedding a much needed spotlight onto a disease from which so many of us suffer. We forget sometimes that there are actual human beings, experiencing real emotions, behind our favorite musical works. Travis Miller reminds us that no amount of fame, or success, trumps true sadness, as he so sadly utters on “Haze of Interference”, …“I'm standing by a microphone and yelling at a wall, pick a thousand names, you're still nobody at all...”. One of the worst facets of depression is the feeling of utter loneliness it so normally casts upon its victims. Though listening to Bedwetter’s debut album reassures us all that we are not alone, and that there are other people out there, both big and small, suffering though this thing.

February 10th 2017

okay this user (modpack) really annoys me.

Digging: Carissa's Wierd - You Should Be At Home Here

February 10th 2017

i think you are taking this review too seriously

February 10th 2017

nah as in fourth has two reviews several years apart i doubt he really cares that much was my point

Sinternet
February 10th 2017

lmao sach love the soundoff

Hurricanslash
February 10th 2017

Like, I dig this project quite a lot, but this will never be a 5 ever and it will never be one of his best projects.

Disagree with Sach about the post-lyrical rap-era thingy. In the mainstream, sure, but why can't lyrical hip-hop coexist with non-lyrical hip-hop? Where's the problem? Shit, some days I just wanna go turn up to some Keef/Black Kray/Rae Sremmurd, but sometimes I wanna sit down and analyze the lyrics of people who obviously put a lot of work in theirs.

Sinternet

analyse the following lyric

'gang gang gang gang GANG'

what emotions are expressed by the author in this line?

Hurricanslash
February 10th 2017

I sense a strong feeling of belonging to his cited "GANG", but also a certain feeling of uncertainty, since he repeatss it so much. Maybe this is his way of reinforcing a his mental state of GAAAAAANG by repeating the mantra over and over in his head. In conclusion I would say that the author is a very emotionally disturbed person.

AaroN911
February 10th 2017

Great review, love this album too it hits home in some aspects... Travis has talent for sure

hal1ax
February 10th 2017

to me, this music is not at all indicative of depression in its genuine and inveterate form. the depression i have felt and been around has barely been expressive at all--mostly just severe repression and inner-anguish supplemented by an exterior affectation of indifference with the occasional reflexive bout of tenuously articulated hopelessness. this music takes "depression" or sadness or whatever and conveys it in the most obtrusive and fetishistic way, without a trace of subtlety. feels disingenuous and vapid from my vantage point

Spacesh1p
February 10th 2017

I've not been truly depressed, fortunately, but I don't imagine it sounds much like this album. It's ok but a 5? And this soon? Can't agree.

The review is good in pieces but doesn't come together. Neither pos or neg for me.

Digging: Deadbeat - Drawn and Quartered

hal1ax
February 10th 2017

and... idk i feel like when an artist is this blunt and unrestrained in his message he somewhat corrupts the consumers ability to interpret it and reciprocate within his own context. like when i listen to music like this i feel as though i'm unable to fold in and synthesize my own personal negative emotions with those of the artist, because he is just clubbing me over the head with this ceaseless, hackneyed image of "depression". leaves no room for interpretation or inference

pjorn
February 10th 2017

sach am i part of the problem for wanting to hear him make mti 2 instead of this sad boy shit

pjorn

ohhhhh okay yeah

i thought you were hinting at him maybe taking this path because of pressure from fans to keep making pseudo-memphis shit and him not wanting to, but your point makes more sense.

bach
February 11th 2017

great review mitch I feel we clearly have the same feelings on this album

grannypantys
February 11th 2017

That first paragraph reads a little Lovecraftian.

elliootsmeuth
February 11th 2017

Reminds me of First Born meets By the Throat meets some sad lo-fi artist.

jmh886
February 12th 2017

why are the reviews and conversations about this guy always so strange?

elliootsmeuth
February 14th 2017

Cannot stop listening to Stoop Lights. So fucking good.

magicuba