Frank Zappa
Chunga's Revenge

by Ziguvan USER (18 Reviews)
September 29th, 2016 | 49 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Flo and Eddie have arrived!

Official Release #11

If memory serves, Chunga's Revenge is the album that follows Hot Rats and also a Zappa solo album and seems to take some example on its predecessor, because this album is much more instrumental compared to his other works before Rats. With a rather sober artwork, showing Franck in an soporific yawn, the main crime partners are Flo & Eddie, George Duke, Ian Underwood and drummer Ainsley Dunbar, but not yet in his best Jawaka/Wazoo form. There is a small text explaining the "camp fire in the forest" artwork gracing the album's inside and it relates loosely with some tracks of the album.

Transylvania Boogie, is a great example of Frank's rocking best. Though every guitarist he worked with was an undisputed master, I still mostly prefer when Zappa plays; I have no idea why he's not as synonymous with the wah pedal as Hendrix or Clapton. It might just be me, but when I listen to it, my ears detect some Eastern influences towards the middle. Nonetheless, it is an excellent piece, especially because Frank himself does the playing here, as he does on most of the whole album.

Road Ladies, is next, and it is a semi-blues song about life on the road while touring. It has some awesome rave-ups in the beginning and towards the end of the middle. Also, the lyrics are quite funny, and sometimes true of real-life settings.

Twenty Small Cigars, is another FZ solo, and probably an outtake from the Hot Rats session as it has a cocktail jazzy sound that reminds me of Little Umbrellas from Hot Rats. I enjoy it but only because it is as short as it is.

The Nancy And Mary Music, is the fourth track, and it is almost 10 minutes of the band just having some instrumental fun, the most experimental song here and it mixes blues rock soloing and avant garde music. Although Frank gets most of the spotlight again, Ian Underwood is the real hero of this song with his instrumental multi-tasking virtuosity.

Tell Me You Love Me, is a really hard, deep guitar driven song projected by none other than everybody's friends Flo & Eddie. Most fans put down this song because of the singers, but actually this is some of their best work and Zappa's riffs are untouchable here. Furthermore, it's a classic Frank Zappa rock song which he has played in various incarnations with different bands and I can´t say this original version is the most powerful one but it´s enjoyable. Again there are some cool vocal harmonies and high pitched vocals from Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman. Really one of the best on the album.

Would You Go All The Way", is where Flo & Eddie really come out of their shell and unleash their comic genius on the audience. Unfortunately, comic genius doesn't always translate into a great song.

Chunga's Revenge, is probably the only piece on this album fit to name the album after. Another instrumental, this FZ solo is just absolutely smothered in wah-wah delight, making wah gods like Hendrix kiss the ground Zappa walks on. One of the finest solos I have ever heard.

The Clap, which is just a short avant garde drum solo.

Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink continues the Flo & Eddie traveling sideshow, and although there isn't really anything here of musical interest (albeit a few golden guitar moments), I find I enjoy this song, just for comedic values

Sharleena concludes the album with a bouncy rhythm and blues sounding performance with spicy instrumental arrangements that can't really be mistaken for anything but the works of Frank Zappa himself. Although, this version is far more accessible, but if you prefer a lot of musicianship like myself I would recommend you check out the 12 minute version of "Sharleena" found on "The Lost Episodes' it features a ton of guitar genius.

All in all, Chunga's Revenge is an excellent rock album with some progressive leanings. Not the best, but a good representation of Frank's styles and an album of some significance in the history of Zappa. It is not overly complex. Instead it is a collection of quite easily enjoyable songs with great variation. I enjoy it for the most part. I think it is an excellent addition to my FZ vinyl collection, at least and one of the best from the Flo and Eddie period. If you want to find a starting point where the humor, irony and craziness is a bit subdued in favor of musical seriousness, without being boring, naturally, this might be a good place to start.

Type O Negative The Origin of the FecesSoundtrack (Film) The Room
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Requiem in D minor, K. 626Claude Debussy Suite bergamasque, L. 75
Curtis Mayfield SuperflyFrank Zappa Bongo Fury

September 29th 2016

I think your review shows it as a higher rating than the 3.5 you gave it. Also, chunga is a vacuum cleaner that takes revenge on people that did not use it, I think this album is a springboard into his great early 70's work, like waka jawaka, and the grand wazoo, although they are much more jazzy.

September 29th 2016

Ugh why do a track by track review?

Digging: Thinking Fellers Local 282 - Strangers From the Universe

Realm

2005

MrSirLordGentleman
September 29th 2016

your other reviews weren't tbt and were pretty good, why did you change that?

won't neg since your other reviews show you got the skills and I rather think this was a mistake or an attemp to a new direction in your writing which isn't bad

smaugman

tbt are out

September 29th 2016

ya, Zappa is maybe a bad artist to go track by track, the only real prob. I ever see with tbt, is they are too long, otherwise whatever. I would personally never have a paragraph to say about each song, maybe a couple tracks per album, no worries though man, at least you have good taste

September 29th 2016

also, you do not like this ARS, surprised

The Flo and Eddie era was a dark time for Zappa

Though I like (as in 3/3.5) most of the Flo an Eddie stuff... 200 Motels is like a 2 though

September 29th 2016

Motels is terrible, flo and eddie stuff is hit or miss, T Boogie and Nancy and Mary makes it a 4

altertide0

the first 7 seconds of "transylvania boogie" are amazing

September 29th 2016

Yeah, true the opener on here is amazing

fillmore 71 is the flo and eddie era's peak

excellent all around

DO YOU LIKE MY CAR?

Digging: T. Rex - The Slider

Pajolero

Chungus Revenge

Digging: Grave Pleasures - Motherblood

September 30th 2016

"Fillmore 71 is the flo and eddie era's peak"

I take it you haven't listened to Carnegie Hall or Road Tapes 3?

the whole road trips seriesw is awesome, I have the first 2, have not heard 3

September 30th 2016

"I take it you haven't listened to Carnegie Hall or Road Tapes 3?"

I actually have not tbh, kinda gave up on going through all the archival stuff

Why give up?

September 30th 2016

The dude has so much shit and that, combined with my disinterest (at the moment) in going through the archival material, just makes me not want to bother with it for now.

September 30th 2016

Except for Lather, why even bother with post Yellow Shark releases anyway?

September 30th 2016

That's a fair question and the answer is this- The man recorded a massive amount of material, both on a stage and in the studio. To only be interested in albums released during his lifetime would be severely limiting as those albums represent literally a small fraction of his work.