Xavlegbmaofffassssit....
Gore

good

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (145 Reviews)
August 4th, 2016 | 115 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Something wrong, I shake my head, Harambe gone, a ni**a dead"

With an attention grabbing name like Acidic Vaginal Liquid Explosion Generated By Mass Amounts Of Filthy Fecal Fisting And Sadistic Septic Syphilic Sodomy Inside The Infected Maggot Infested Womb Of A Molested Nun Dying Under The Roof Of A Burning Church While A Priest Watches And Ejaculates In Immense Perverse Pleasure Over His First Fresh Fetus (most often shortened to the much more concise Xavlegbmaofffassssitimiwoamndutroabcwapwaeiippohff fX), it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to think this South African grindcore/slam band is all flash and no substance. I mean, really" However, you know how the adage goes: "never judge a book by its winding and repugnant title", and as it turns out Gore is actually a genuinely fun, entertaining release and a worthy example of modern grind. Most of it is what you would expect - hardcore barks devolving into pig belches, percussion that defies human capabilities, and a general sense of schizophrenic songwriting - but Xavlegbmaofffassssitimiwoamndutroabcwapwaeiippohff fX are unquestionably good at what they do. Tracks like "Bone Saw" traverse between more traditional hardcore pummeling and mile-a-minute grinding brutality, with the shifts in tempo cutting through any possible monotony like, well... a bone saw. However, despite mainly adhering to the slam/grind formula, there are few welcome expertly placed surprises. The aforementioned track throws in a tasteful melodic lead, and the jazz interlude sandwiched between the neck-breaking slams of " Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" is a great deviation from the otherwise redundant heaviness. They may be a tad gimmicky, but it contributes to the carefree attitude that make this EP so much damn fun.

Humorous band name aside, the group knows how to get sentimental, especially with the touching ode to our favorite fallen gorilla, "Dicks Out For Harambe". Breaking new ground for grind, it features not only the traditional pig squeals, but waves of monkey howls scattered throughout. The chorus ("DICKS OUT... FOR HARAMBE!") is almost impossible not to scream along to, and overall the track is definitely the best grindcore/slam tribute we've seen for this hero yet. Gore may be a novelty and utterly ridiculous just for the sake of being so, but that doesn't it stop it from being a thoroughly entertaining listen, top to bottom.