Minus the Bear
Infinity Overhead

good

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (46 Reviews)
June 6th, 2016 | 27 replies

Review Summary: Minus the charm or innovation

What exactly is there to say about an album that is both thankfully reassuring and sadly disappointing? Perhaps the best thing to say to sum up exactly what the problem with Infinity Overhead is, is that it is exactly what I expected it to be: Better than Omni and not as good as any of the albums preceding it. It's almost tempting to deride the band and album completely as being all style and no substance; there's Dave Knudson, doing his signature bending and tapping, off-kilter riffs; there's Jake Snider, with the exact same vocal delivery as always, his warm and always just slightly distant sounding croon thickly embedded; there's Cory Murchy doing-actually, where is he? What is promising is that Erin Tate and Alex Rose have both improved: the synths this time around are for the most part much more comfortably unobtrusive, and Erin Tate (who has always been solid and somewhat overlooked) is groovy and energetic. There's songs like "Diamond Lightning" and "Toska" that recall Planet of Ice, with their atmospheric production and digestible guitar noodling (and don't get me wrong here; Dave Knudson has a fantastic showing on this album, especially on closer "Cold Company", where his finger-tapping chromatics reach dizzying heights.)

In short, there's just not much to say about this album because there is simply nothing new on display. While it may be unfair to compare this so much to their previous albums, it is integral to do so to understand the failing of this effort. Where Omni found Minus The Bear losing their way, this album simply sees them finding their way back, but not at all finding a road to forge ahead. It is still a very fun and musically exceptional album, but perhaps the title of track 7 can most successfully describe the inherent flaw; "Empty Party Rooms." Where Planet of Ice saw the band maturing and mostly moving past the admittedly goofy demeanor of their first two efforts, Omni and Infinity Overhead are content to be merely fun and enjoyable, which is most disappointing. Fans know that Minus The Bear are capable of so much more, and while not nearly as much as Omni, Infinity Overhead still comes sadly close to sounding like an Empty Party Room.

Greg Dulli Random DesireLana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Young Thug So Much FunGlass Beach The First Glass Beach Album
Chance the Rapper The Big DayState Faults Clairvoyant
3.2
good
  • Dan H. EMERITUS (3)
    Flashes of brilliance juxtaposed with imperfections....

Julianna Reed EMERITUS (3)
    Minus the Bear continue the quest for that poignancy they once had in their grasp, and wit...

SwayzeFaced (4)
    The drums lay a foundation that the rest of the band dances around like some sort of demon...

Alxander19 (3.5)
    Combine Omni with Minus The Bear's previous albums, with predictable results....

• greencorn5 (3.5)
    A very good album worth listening to, but by no means a classic....

June 6th 2016

alright, chose the right album this time lol. anyways, last old review for a few days, gonna be reviewing the new Tegan and Sara album next.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Digging: King Krule - Man Alive!

June 6th 2016

the first 4-5 songs of this album is killer but once Heaven is a Ghost Town comes on it gets extremely boring. btw we have very similar ratings man haha

June 6th 2016

tracks 3 and 4 and the closer are definitely my favorites off of this. And yeah man so i'm starting see haha, great minds and all that

DerElefant
June 6th 2016

Lies and Eyes and Lonely Gun are great too.

I agree with your review though.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Lonely Gun at all

Lies and Eyes is good tho

first three tracks are my fav. Diamond Eyes I still jam

bananatossing
June 6th 2016

Sure, Omni was a step backwards from POI, but it was much more fun than this, methinks, while still retaining some of their technical guitar melodies and whatnot.

A few fillers halfway but this is still solid. I love all Minus The Bear, anyways.

June 6th 2016

omni is the only MTB i can't get fully into tbh. at least this one felt like an overall more solid album

June 6th 2016

I just can't get into Omni, such a huge disappointment after POI for me

POI is hard to top tbh

hell yeah it is

June 6th 2016

need to give that a listen. havent listened to it in full in awhile

that's probably in my top 20 albums tbh, yeah i should listen to it too

same top 20 for sure

bananatossing
June 6th 2016

I still dig it a ton, Dayglow Vista and Summer Angel are pretty fun songs, while tracks like Secret Country, Into The Mirror and the b-side Broken China are classic Minus The Bear.

But yeah, POI is amazing, and Pirates isn't too far behind.

Broken China is great true

greencorn5
June 6th 2016

Omni had more staying power than IO for me. Initially I liked IO but it got dull quick. Once I played out Cold Company it was over.

DinosaurJones
June 6th 2016

There's some good tracks on here. Lies & Eyes and Cold Company really stand out to me.

June 6th 2016

Cold Company is the best song here imo

Tyler.
June 7th 2016

Make this band good again