Aborted
Retrogore

by brettgoespunk USER (21 Reviews)
April 25th, 2016 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It kind of leaves you tired out at the end. The album is enjoyable, but kind of hard to listen to start to finish. (original score 3.5, changed later)

Belgian deathgrind band Aborted is back quickly after their release of Termination Redux a few months back. Here in April we have the release of Retrogore. On my search of things heavier than the typical death metal and deathcore band out there, I found myself looking forward to this release.

This album is noticably paced extremely well. Unlike the typical deathgrind band, Aborted don’t try to blast your face off 100% of the time. There are moments where the drums slow down from their blast beats, and the guitars become more chuggy and slow. The title track in particular has a section where things slow down and the vocals shine.

The guest vocal spots on this album are really what make Retrogore more special than it would be. Julien Truchan of Benighted is featured on track 3, Cadaverous Banquet. Divine Impediment, track 7, features Travis Ryan of Cattle Decapitation (one of my personal favorite vocalists of all time). Being a HUGE fan of Cattle’s last album The Anthropocene Extinction, this was exciting to me. His part is extremely noticeable, and his voice is so easily recognizable. The exciting part is they have him do the layered gutterals and higher screams. That was always one of the best parts of Cattle songs.

Another interesting touch on this album was the clips they use from movies and such. Scattered throughout the album are clips of dialogue describing gory or creepy things. It gives the album an underlying layer of depth that makes it feel like the songs are coming from real people’s minds. Specifically the intro to track 9, The Mephitic Conundrum actually gives you chills to listen to, especially in headphones. There’s a stereo sound of a machete sweeping across a concrete floor. The atmosphere is especially creepy.

Overall this album is good. It takes a lot from a deathgrind band to keep me interested, and this album had a hard time doing so. I found that the gutteral vocals are more boring than the mids, and some of the tracks tend to blend together, because of the speed and repetitiveness of the style of music. It kind of leaves you tired out at the end. The album is enjoyable, but kind of hard to listen to start to finish.

EDIT: I am enjoying this album more than I did when I first listened to it, and wrote this review. I was having a bad day that day, but upon listening more, I realized that this record is actually worth a lot more than I gave it credit for. I will leave everything else as is, but change the rating outside of the review.

Pros: Mid-range vocals, Travis Ryan feature, pacing
Cons: Travis Ryan didn’t have enough time, repetitiveness, blending
Recommended Tracks: Retrogore, Divine Impediment, From Beyond (The Grave), Coven of Ignorance

Cancer Shadow GrippedParkway Drive Reverence
Cannibal Corpse Red Before BlackThy Art Is Murder Dear Desolation
Incantation Profane NexusOceans Ate Alaska Hikari

YuriZakhaev
April 26th 2016

Did you listen to this for Travis Ryan or Aborted? And is this your first Aborted album? You seem like you discovered this band with their Termination Redux EP

Ebola
April 26th 2016

Album is a hell of a good time. Don't really agree with the review; many of your criticisms are of aspects present in even the best albums of this genre.

NYdubber
April 26th 2016

This. album. is. amazing.

Seriously, though -- top notch release.

deadrisingx1
April 26th 2016

Tired out at the end? Nah, no way.

April 26th 2016

Album is very good, not all that repetitive at all, but the first half seemed a little stronger. Still needs more spins. And artwork is amazing too.

brettgoespunk
April 26th 2016

As a matter of fact, this is my first experience with their music. I've heard of them for a while though.

Digging: Wristmeetrazor - Misery Never Forgets

YuriZakhaev
April 26th 2016

Bonus tracks are monstrous. One is just a relentless slab of deathgrind and the other is like 'Die Verzweiflung' from The Necrotic Manifesto, only in French.

This band has evolved in a very good way with this record. Take a listen to everything they've done since Global Flatline and you'll see the changes they needed.

Agreed, definitely nice evolution

Flugmorph
April 27th 2016

20655 Comments

It's a solid 3.

Vetimus
April 28th 2016

Does this band ever get bored of releasing the same album?

The last 3 have been bland as fuck compared to old school aborted.

brettgoespunk
April 29th 2016

Yeah, like I said. Doesn't interest me,

berrydingle
April 30th 2016

I think the summary shouldn't have two "kind of"s in it

April 30th 2016

More varied than the last two

Angelboros
April 30th 2016

Goremageddon is without exaggeration the record where this band peaked, though I'll say it now: Aborted's latest album is shaping up to be my second favorite. Their last two studio releases and the Termination Redux EP were pretty darn good, though those recordings weren't all that varied in retrospect; it might get a lot of shit from fans and even vocalist Sven himself, but at least Strychnine.213 was something relatively different for the troupe - even if the payoff wasn't always satisfying.

Cadaverous Banquet rips.

DeadGuy
April 30th 2016

blasting the second song with a fresh bottle of whiskey

sounds like it's gonna rule

DeadGuy

It does fuckin rule

dvd0bvb
May 1st 2016

Are you reviewing Aborted or Cattle Decapitation? An entire paragraph about how you feel about Travis Ryan means 1/4 of your review is irrelevant.

AsleepInTheBack
May 1st 2016

Meh intro, i agree that it has too many 'kind of's. Also seems like your more critiquing the genre rather than the album. Still a good review nonetheless.

AsleepInTheBack
May 1st 2016

You probably could have summarised the intro more succinctly, like "enjoyable, but exhausting" and then elaborate at what you're getting at in the review itself. Sorry for going on about the intro, dont know why it bugs me quite so much

brainmelter
May 1st 2016

tired at the end? casual mofo

Digging: You and I - The Curtain Falls