Thou
Heathen

by Astral Abortis CONTRIBUTOR (37 Reviews)
April 9th, 2016 | 193 replies

Release Date: 03/25/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: this very moment.

Melody is nothing without meaning. Just like hope is nothing without despair. Just like ire is nothing without placidity. For each push there needs to be that pull. Thou know this. Heathen embodies this. All too often, in music, in stories, there’s the excess of just one feeling, but how can we feel the sadness if we had never known the happiness" How can we feel the anger if we didn’t know the pain" Because melody is nothing without meaning, it needs to be given meaning; there’s no way of feeling the intensity of it if we can’t feel what it’s rivalling. For each passing sludge album that’s relentless in its pummelling aggression, there’s the vacant and empty melodies that sing from each post-metal record, failing to engage or impact. Because each one pushes, but neither of them pull. Neither of them evoke what their anger or beauty are born from. Thou remain at the top of food chain because they understand the basics of dynamic possibility: that neither feeling is the same without its counterpart. The greatest result of their dynamic is Heathen.

Heathen aches in every inch of it with pain and density, it’s tense and flowing; from the gorgeously crafted melodic passages grow the most gratifyingly heavy excisions of sludging, drudging chemistry. It’s easy to see how tracks like ‘At the Foot of Mount Drisskill’ or ‘Ode to Physical Pain’ wouldn’t be nearly as effectual as a sludge monstrosities without the overwhelmingly stunning lead guitar melodies that rise in and out of their heaviest moments. That’s not to say that the heavy passages are worthless on their own (quite the contrary), but that when such unexpectedly strong and evocative moments are directly juxtaposed, it makes for a much more intense experience. Thou are showing that light and dark don’t need to be kept apart; for one section to be solely melodic and one to be solely crushing darkness. The effectualness of both elements are expanded tenfold when layered directly over each other, when one expands and the other wanes, then again, they coalesce like they always should. Like we always want them to.

Heathen is an album of unimaginable proportions. In the unrefined clarity of their peers, they stand alone, with the beauty of their mess; their unmistakeable, aching majesty, unafraid of complications of raw emotion, power and the subtle and unsubtle contrasts in their music. Heathen is the aural exploration of chiaroscuro, the willingness of the partnership of the differences that make up every waking moment.

Toby Driver Live at Roulette, March 2017Tchornobog Tchornobog
Antichrist Sinful BirthTaphos Nomos / Urdun RIP
Julia Holter In the Same RoomMount Eerie A Crow Looked At Me

pedro70512 (4)
Join our sad tears and dance on the blackened bones of gods....

Mort.

i liked it, posd

Digging: The Body and Full Of Hell - Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light

Mort.
April 9th 2016

been getting more into metal so ill have to check this band seeming as they seem pretty relevant at the moment

someguest
April 9th 2016

I'll have to listen to this filthy record down in the fuckin' Louisiana bayou one day.

Digging: Carpenter Brut - CARPENTERBRUTLIVE

emester
April 9th 2016

Review is a tiny bit too focused as you mentioned but the concept(s) described by you are done to a t

April 9th 2016

Nice write up for a great album. Reads better if you already have a good idea of the sound I would imagine, maybe my only criticism.

Digging: Deadbeat - Drawn and Quartered

UnderTheNorthernScar

This album crushes everything

R6Rider

Yeah it's awesome.

SitruK6

nice review dude, posd.

i'll probably check this out tomorrow or the day after

SitruK6
April 9th 2016

oh, i also wanted to say that i actually enjoyed that it was too focused on one concept, i feel you described it really well and i totally agree with "Melody is nothing without meaning. Just like hope is nothing without despair. Just like ire is nothing without placidity. For each push there needs to be that pull."

wacknizzle
April 9th 2016

amazing album, good review bruh

Digging: Tetragrammacide - Primal Incinerators of Moral Matrix

teamster

2031 Comments

If you like this check out Light Bearer. Nice review and thanks..

Digging: Foscor - Les Irreals Visions

PortalofPerfection

1991 Comments

Definitely gushes.

But not talking about how an album makes you (personally) feel means the review is pointless. And you did 5 this.

I spun this once and didn't get much from it. Methinks I need another go.

Vetimus
April 9th 2016

Album rules and review is pretty darn sexy.

oltnabrick

Such a great band.

ScuroFantasma
April 10th 2016

Good review if a little hyperbolic but then again it is a 5.

"Thou remain at the top of food chain" *the food chain

Digging: Russkaja - Energia!

Evreaia
April 10th 2016

sweet review

Anthemic
April 13th 2016

album destroys, good review.

March 11th 2017

Should bump this back up

Evokaphile
March 11th 2017

Awesome review. This is way better than Summit

Digging: Slowdive - Slowdive

March 13th 2017

"Such a great band."

[2] hard, been jamming these guys a lot lately.