Porches.
Pool

good

by kylemccluskey USER (11 Reviews)
February 25th, 2016 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

On first listen, Pool seeks our affection in a similar way that Washed Out's (2011) Within and Without or DIANA's (2013) Perpetual Surrender were successful in upon their releases--in that it offers a record with both style and accessibility--and in some ways deserves it . Immediately apparent is the quality of the lead synthesizer tones which have impressively conscientious processing for a singer/songwriter doubling as a producer; gorgeous vintage waveforms embellish the nimble grooves throughout, establishing a hallmark axiom of the album. Another axiom is the aforementioned bass grooves which anchor these 12 tracks by colourfully bouncing about, and unlike some other marks of Aaron Maine's handiwork, they rarely accept a yawned contentment; it's certainly the most consistently gratifying component Porches employs here. Lastly, the project's most crucial ingredient is undoubtedly Maine himself, who provides generally favourable results: at times he's subdued and placid, at others possessed by a delicate and tender conviction, and on a few occasions is obscured by auto-tune--which cringingly backfires on "Pool". Lyrically, his sparse poetry ranges from callow, such as in "Glow" ("I know I need you, You know we are through, ..., I guess all that I can do, Is try to stop thinking about you") to intimate and soft-hearted in "Underwater" ("The air was heavy and cool, Everything so delicate, As I watched you walk into the room") to profoundly ambiguous in "Be Apart" ("Cause I wanna be apart/a part, Of it all"), wherein we can't be entirely certain whether Maine is repulsed or enthralled by the gallivanting clump of human flesh that is his youthful peers embarking on a night out--and it seems that neither is he.

After further inspection, it's evident that what Porches have going for them on this album is premises; every song here (aside from "Pool" and "Shape", which miss the mark completely) contains movements that begin so promisingly: with excellent timbres, melodies, percussion, mixing, and vocals harmonies featuring the lovely Greta Kline (a.k.a. Frankie Cosmos). However, instead of playing around with these compositional ideas by lengthening melodies, introducing variation and injecting more frequent adornments, there are plenty of instances where Maine just repeats an initial idea for the duration of the movement--squashing the greater potential that many of these premises possess. Though this could possibly be an intentional move--and by keeping things simple, perhaps Maines hopes to stimulate the listener just enough so as to induce a breezy head-bob without demanding greater attention--the net effect is lackluster all the same. Still, it's a decent release; despite some shortcomings, its lively bass lines, rich sonic palette, and the earnestness in Maine's falsetto are together able to maintain buoyancy.

Clark Death PeakJay Som Turn Into
Roly Porter Third LawDanny Brown Atrocity Exhibition
Preoccupations PreoccupationsBraids Companion EP
3.3

Anthracks
February 24th 2016

Be Apart is an amazing song.

The vocals on the album are generally boring.

Digging: Anima Damnata - Nefarious Seed...

VheissuCrisis
February 25th 2016

I'd recommend toning down the formal style and finding a sweet spot between that and conversational. Plenty of sentences here which wilt under the weight of the words you're using. Simplify. There's also a few odd phrases here and there, such as 'beckons affection'.

Good for a first review though, keep it up.

February 25th 2016

12002 Comments

I actually love the plainness of the vocals, it seems to really bring out the production and they mix in rather well with the production's feel. It's hard to explain, but the general "boring" vocals make everything sound even better for me.

BrushedRed
February 27th 2016

I love it! Sounds great to me. "Shape" is a wonderful relaxing song. I can see a less positive stance for sure but I'm a sucker for this electro dream pop chillwave scene. It's niiiiiice. And great beach music.

brandontaylor
March 10th 2016

agreed with clover, the vocals don't stand out but they also don't distract from the production, which is great on every track

this rules

Digging: Alyss - Motherland

SnakeDelilah

19929 Comments

this is ok

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

September 28th 2016

"Digging: Norma Jean - Polar Similar"

12002 Comments

Pretty cool. Fell under the radar sadly.

September 28th 2016

check that nzca lines alb cloverflower

12002 Comments

Eventually I'm in bed right now

SpeakSound
November 23rd 2016

Really dig this album, and I really enjoyed this review, many good points throughout. I may post a review of this shortly ;).

BigTuna
December 14th 2016

This album is good but vox are not so good

Digging: Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time

Vox are fine

alienobserver
December 14th 2016

vox are literal garbage would not be out of place in a trash can or a similar apparatus

Digging: Lil Peep - California Girls

loveisamixtape
March 21st 2017

underwater is so good

Conmaniac

19696 Comments

came up on my spotify discover...seems p inoffensive indie

Tis

May 22nd 2017

Although I can see why someone would dislike the vox. I just don't share the complainy