Thespian
Through Hardships To The Stars

by oisincoleman64 USER (10 Reviews)
September 23rd, 2015 | 12 replies

Release Date: 09/11/2015 | Tracklist

Sometimes the cover art perfectly represents what an album will sound like, which is the case here on Thespian's first full-length album. It's simple and straight-forward but also colourful, pretty and pleasant. It's so obvious yet somehow gripping and brings feelings of innocence and joy.

Thespian is an ambient/post-rock project created by fellow Sputnikmusic-user, Drummerboy13. Back in 2014 he released his first EP, An Open Canvas, which was a nice little assortments of pretty, lush and calming sounds full of sugary synth and piano melodies. And on this album here he continues with that style, however making it a lot more stripped down and airy. The concept of the album is as Thespian/Drummerboy13 himself says "about questioning the meaning of life, having conflicts with self-worth, comparing yourself with everything and everyone around you and how our perspective ultimately shapes our reality". But with that being said the concept isn't necessary at all to enjoy the album, as there are no lyrics, save for two tracks.

Here it doesn't really feel like Thespian is trying to impress or show off to anyone, giving this album a very natural feeling, it feels as if he was just trying to make songs that sounded nice to him and ended up making some pretty gorgeous sounding tracks. This album from start to finish is simple, gentle, peaceful, and engaging and whilst maybe for it's run time of 40 minutes can get tiring is still excellent when it comes down to the tracks. Its all great thinking music, it's music for staring out the bus window on a rainy day, it's innocent, it's straight-forward, it's instant, and thats all it really needs to be.

The only parts where I feel the album gets irritating are the songs with the sampled speeches which feel so forced, cheesy and unneeded. But other than that this album is a great, easy listening experience that takes you on a journey, that makes me excited to see how Thespian expands his style on his next project.

President of What? The Owners Will Be Home SoonGem Club Breakers
Myrimin Zvier ViartajeccaNisan Farber Get Bummed!
Mind Of An Antagonist Sgr APierce the Veil Collide with the Sky
3.1
good

An Open Canvas

oisincoleman64
September 23rd 2015

Just a quick little review for this pretty great use-made album that is getting a bit too much hate in my eyes

ALSO, about the 50 album review challenge, I know it's been a while since the last review, but believe that Myrimin review is coming, my schedule has kinda been fucked by school, catching ip on albums Ive missed this year and writing for my band's EP. But hopefully things will be back in proper rotation soon

bnelso55
September 23rd 2015

Glad to see this got a review. I gave this a listen when Drummerboy13 first posted his list for it. I need to revisit it because I recall enjoying it at the time.

Drummerboy123
September 23rd 2015

Nice review man, glad you dig the album. Enjoy the uplifting music while it lasts cause' the 2nd album is gonna be dark.as.fuck haha. In terms of the speeches they're there to discuss the themes of the album which is hard to do on an instrumental release, but I understand they may not be to everyone's taste.

oisincoleman64
September 23rd 2015

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it

Final Origin
September 23rd 2015

Nice short review that illustrates this album really well. I really like the overall feel of this album and how every track segues into each other, it sounds cohesive and interesting.

RadicalEd
September 23rd 2015

Unfortunately this album felt a bit to tepid and bland to me. It's not bad and certainly has a lot of decent touches, but I can't really see myself coming back to it. Cool that some people are enjoying it though. Decent review as well.

Digging: Maurice Louca - Elephantine

Drummerboy123
September 23rd 2015

'Its all great thinking music, it's music for staring out the bus window on a rainy day, it's innocent, it's straight-forward, it's instant, and thats all it really needs to be.'

Great summary there. Think I might nab that quote haha.

ScuroFantasma
September 23rd 2015

Great review man, this is a pretty cool album but felt a bit lacking to me, dawdles on too much in my opinion, but it's nice and relaxing, plus it sounds happy which is a change so I like it.

Digging: Orville Peck - Pony

Sunnyvale
September 23rd 2015

Sweet, I'll try and give this a listen later tonight.

Toondude10
September 23rd 2015

you might want to fix that black diamond there

I did like the EP more than this but it's still a nice listen.

Digging: Devin Townsend - Empath

DoctorGreen
September 24th 2015

I'm too lazy to check this up :c

Digging: Bjork - Homogenic

MO
September 24th 2015

good to see sputers pumping out albums m/