Noah Gundersen
Carry the Ghost

good

by Waior USER (114 Reviews)
August 17th, 2015 | 6 replies

Release Date: 2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The balance is clumsy, but the delivery is honest as ever.

I made up my mind that I wasn’t going to base my own self-worth on how people are going to respond to it.

Noah Gundersen kicked off his Ledges tour last year in Vancouver, and he did so with cautious gratitude. “Thanks for letting us play these songs so loudly”, he remarked between electric and dense arrangements of his typically soft, earnest songs. While some watched the performance unsure how to accept the change, Gundersen himself seemed enlivened by the full-band arrangements. He was making bold movements, and slowly distancing himself from what could’ve been a tireless future in the ‘adult-contemporary’ world. Perhaps then, as his sophomore album Carry the Ghost is released, Gundersen’s experimentation is no surprise -- truly, how long can a singer-songwriter tread the same path before getting bored? Carry the Ghost has a bit of it all: the old, the safe, the risky, the boring, the overwrought, the perfect, and the new. It may not balance it all expertly, but the Washington songwriter’s finesse as a vocalist and songwriter cannot be shaken.

Pianos, cymbal swells, pulsating strings, and effect-laden guitars have dominion over Noah’s trusted acoustic in the first half of the album, and some of the results are stunning. ‘The Difference’ begins like a Half Moon Run song, with rims clicking underneath a Radiohead-like guitar line and one of Gundersen’s more inspired, creative melodies. ‘Show Me the Light’ uses a flat, twangy and spacious full-band arrangement as a backdrop to the unusually crowded lyrics. Album highlight ‘Halo (Disappear/Reappear)’ marks the appearance of a more impersonal sounding production, with Sufjan Steven-esque melodies, space-y climactic vocals, and a sloppy, chaotic lead guitar that beautifully closes the song. Negative space, as in the past, is given generously, and most arrangements have a tasteful amount of breathing room despite the addition of instruments.

Lyrically, Carry the Ghost is dominated (unsurprisingly) by heartbreak, introspection, and muddled spirituality. Despite singles ‘Slow Dancer’ and ‘Jealous Love’ suggesting a safe and paint-by-number feel, many cuts on the album mark a sharper, more vulnerable direction. Don’t worry -- he still has a penchant for the word “honey”, and paints in broad poetic strokes on many tracks. But unlike Ledges, many of his musings this time around are not blankly relatable, but precisely personal. Take for example, this excerpt from ‘Show Me the Light’:

I watched you watching Jesus like you were watching a star. I started praying that you’d find room for both of us in your heart, but the more I tried, the more I’d find I could not pretend to give a damn about your religion, or for all your ***ty friends.

Gundersen’s descent into broken-hearted cynicism has always been easy to follow when listening to his music, but Carry the Ghost finds him finally reaching some tough conclusions. “This is all we are”, he beautifully articulates later on the record, “blood and bones, no holy ghost... empty from the start”.

And of course, with the greater specificity, some lines are a bit too on the nose to be taken seriously -- especially on ‘I Need a Woman’ and ‘Topless Dancer’, where Lone Bellow aping clichés and ungainly metaphors take over. ‘I Need a Woman’ is also where Carry the Ghost loses its momentum. For much for the second half, many of Noah’s murmurings and arrangements began to simply drag out the running time. Even the powerful ‘Heartbreaker’, a revisited stand-out on the Twenty Something EP, is neutered by the undecorated vocal production, and an imprecise arrangement. Perhaps a more intuitively arranged track-list would’ve benefitted the final songs, but the official order is unflattering and Carry the Ghost seems unbalanced for it. That, and many of the production choices seem random and disconnected from song to song -- there is very little cohesive feel or congruity.

Through it all, Noah Gundersen is still Noah Gundersen. His vocals are still leathery and resonant, his melodies still inspired, and his band is ever the more creative. It is very uneven, but nonetheless important: the progression seems natural, promising, and deserved. Carry the Ghost may be the least commanding in Noah’s discography, but it is certainly the most inventive and daring -- I'm sure it will long be argued that some of the man’s best songs came from this album. If Carry the Ghost proves anything, it's that Noah Gundersen is on the cusp of something jaw-dropping, but he’s yet to get his feet planted -- it’ll be worth the wait, no question about it.

Thrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be NowhereHey Rosetta! Second Sight
The Decemberists What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful WorldDan Mangan Club Meds
Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley

Waior
August 17th 2015

Stream: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/08/17/noah-gundersen-carry-the-ghost-album/

Halo is the best track here.

Brostep

yes Waior makes a reappearance

SnipeCity
August 18th 2015

Agreed on Halo. Nice review, still deciding on a rating for myself.

welcome back, caleb!

Purpose
August 23rd 2015

Am I the only one who noticed OP misspelled the title of the album up at the top? "Garry the Ghost" haha.

That aside lol, solid review, thought after a listen through I felt maybe you were a little hard on him. This has to be at least a solid 3.5. Definitely like it better than Ledges.

Waior
September 8th 2015

I submitted an album title amendment, but it's never been approved, so... Garry, it is.

The more I listen to this, the more I like what I originally liked, and the less I like what I disliked. So, I'm not in a position to change my opinion and I still agree with this. I think some of the weaker tracks on here should've been switched with some of the great Twenty Something songs.