Bullet For My Valentine

poor

by Benjamin Kuettel STAFF
August 14th, 2015 | 189 replies

Release Date: 08/14/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Less commercial drivel, more a tepid exercise in stagnation.

Bullet for my Valentine have had a difficult time finding their place lately. Recent releases have regressed their sound to the point of an all-time low on the desperate attempt at mainstream rock appeal in Temper Temper. Realizing what a failure this was, Matt Tuck promised fans that the follow-up would be a return-to-roots deal. Knowing they may disappoint by taking risks, Tuck is sticking to what he knows on Venom. Their steady ascension to radio friendly heavy rock is put through a modern thrash metal coating. Venom essentially relies on self-plagiarism and zero risk taking whatsoever in order to cling desperately to what little of their fanbase remains. This is Bullet Lite, just as shallow and stagnant as Temper Temper, only this time with some faster tempos and more harsh vocals.

Nearly every song on Venom begins the same way: a fast and simple guitar riff, Matt Tuck screaming, similar drumbeat, standard structure, and a decent solo to cap it off. Eventually the album realizes it can only milk this monotonous formula for so long, and the last few songs try to change things up. “The Harder The Heart (The Harder It Breaks)," “Skin,” and “Hell or High Water” feature slower tempos and employ the more melodic side of their songwriting from early material. Even these minimal changes of pace heavily rely on past successes. “The Harder The Heart” sounds remarkably similar to “Bittersweet Memories” from Fever. Both have mid-tempo, chord-based songwriting and emotional subject matter, as well as similar lead guitar. While lacking a pathetic attempt at replicating a past hit (“Tears Don’t Fall (Part 2)"” Really"), Venom still relies on their long-standing reliance on watered down thrash riffs and poppy choruses with abysmal lyrics. These qualities are most apparent in the album’s first half. Songs like “No Way Out,” “Army of Noise,” "Worthless," and "Broken," essentially rip off the singles from Bullet’s neo-thrash hit Scream Aim Fire from 2008.

While the more emotional and melodious aspects of Bullet's earlier material are minimal, they do occasionally appear throughout. Looking back with the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, these qualities embody youthful energy among metalcore’s massive popularity at the time. Times have changed however, and Bullet for my Valentine have failed to change with them. Band members in their mid-to-late 30s playing a watered-down version of their own original sound, singing about the same youthful subject matter as always, is just getting depressing. Anyone looking for an enjoyable, modern metal album can find it done much better by many other bands. Every riff, every chorus on Venom has been played hundreds of times before on numerous albums, some of them by Bullet themselves. Seeing such monotony and lack of creativity yet again is a sure sign that their once strong brand of modern metal needs a major overhaul. While lacking the worst offenses of Temper Temper, Venom is still a failed exercise in mainstream metal. It serves to plainly expose Bullet for My Valentine's refusal to progress or broaden their identity in any way, shape or form.

Thom Yorke SuspiriaRiverside Wasteland
Toby Driver They Are the ShieldGoldfrapp Silver Eye
A Perfect Circle Eat the ElephantEno, Moebius and Roedelius After the Heat
2.8
good
Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
Putting Part Of The Song Titles In Brackets (In An Attempt To Emphasize The Meaning)...

BHAR (3.5)
So what happens when a band learns from their mistakes and reedems itself? Well, you can ask Bullet ...

Shamus248 (2.5)
It wears off on you after the first listen....

August 14th 2015

Thanks a lot to Arcade for proofreading

This was between a 2 and 2.5, but this album was the most underwhelming and boring listening experience in quite a while, so 2 it is.

Digging: Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen

MoosechriS
August 14th 2015

Gave up with these guys after fever, probably wont be checking this out based on the review. Good write up though dude. Pos'd

TheSpirit
August 14th 2015

I'm actually looking forward to hearing this.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Midian

Artuma
August 14th 2015

"emo aspects of Bullet's earlier material"

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

Snake.
August 14th 2015

The Harder The Heart (The Harder It Breaks)

smfh when will this band ever learn?

Digging: Space Camp - Inevitable Demise

herrlosse
August 14th 2015

Wow, I think that is an articulate but pretty unnecessarily harsh review.

Granted I'm only on the first listen but I'm reasonably pleased with it considering the other shite similar bands are coming out with (BMTH, Asking Alex..)

oisincoleman64
August 14th 2015

I'm having fun with this album so far but yeah nothing too interesting

TooManyFriends
August 14th 2015

this is trash guys ok good stuff now you can move on with your lives nothin to see here

InFlamesWeThrash666

Skin is kinda catchy

Digging: Power Trip - Manifest Decimation

August 14th 2015

Shame they became so dull

Gameofmetal
August 14th 2015

I kinda question the "emo influence" you mention but good review regardless

sounds like this is shooting for the same goal as the new miss may it but is probably even worse

August 14th 2015

@Arcade they were never the most exciting band in the world but at least tracks like "Scream Aim Fire" and "Tears Don't Fall" had some punch behind them.

August 14th 2015

Agreed tuna, a few tunes on Fever as well in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. In terms of the usage of "emo" in the review, I always saw their stuff before Scream... being a combination of melodic metalcore, thrash, and emo. Those albums definitely sound similar to some screamo stuff I've heard, but if everyone thinks I'm completely wrong here then I'll change it.

Artuma
August 14th 2015

you are completely wrong with that

Ocean of Noise
August 15th 2015

yea this band isn't really emo, they're more just really poppy

Digging: Buckethead - Pepper's Ghost

August 15th 2015

I guess it's a matter of opinion but there was probably more pop than emo if I remember correctly, fixed.

Sinternet
August 15th 2015

I wasn't expecting much and I'm still disappointed

Digging: Deena Abdelwahed - Khonnar

Ikarus14

Surprise surprise...

The Poison was a decent album and everything, but everything after that is totally forgettable.

August 15th 2015

But in terms of dull modern metal, I'd take these over FFDP any day.

Sinternet
August 15th 2015

I hope I'm never in a situation in which I have to choose between the two.