Kronos

good

by Xenophanes STAFF
August 5th, 2015 | 29 replies

Release Date: 06/24/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You could do a lot worse than Kronos...you could do a lot better too.

You could do a lot worse than Arisen New Era. You could do a lot better, too. However, the take away is Kronos returning after eight years with a decidedly archaic but enjoyable record. The band has made a come back, picking up where The Hellenic Terror left off; a brutal and fantastically well produced death metal album full of mythological themes that just misses the cheesy mark. Instead, the band's fourth record is amicably epic in tone and scope, with the violent nature of the lyrics fitting nicely with the unforgiving music. The pace is killer and the riffs are fine. "Infernal Abyss Sovereignty" opens up with a rapid fire, intense bout of robust uncompromising death displaying everything that there is to offer. The rest of the album follows suit, moving along throughout the perfectly timed 36 minutes. There are plenty of chromatic scales being swept around with tapping and chugging being splashed for color. It's technical but not annoying, nor does it try too hard to impress with superficial and derivative noise. Still, this may have made it a little more memorable considering Kronos aren't really all that special.

Arisen New Era sounds fabulous in spite of this. It's a crystalline emblem of brutal death metal in 2015. Uninventive in execution, the album is not going to stick around too long despite what it does accomplish. It may not stand up to the more exceptional offerings this year (or any year really) but it's good enough for now. It's the type of record that goes down easy and washes over with its heavy transmissions and clean lines. Standouts such as "Brotherlords" aim high and hit hard, despite feeling like a machine that's been oiled over and over again. But when the last flickers of "Hellysium" fade away you will not be worse off for your time spent.

Sigh Heir to DespairURSA Abyss Between the Stars
Cult Leader A Patient ManDaughters You Won't Get What You Want
Coheed and Cambria The Unheavenly CreaturesSUMAC Love In Shadow

Colossal Titan Strife

August 4th 2015

"considering Kronos aren't really all that special" O_o

If you say so I guess? This honestly reads much more like a 3.5 - 4. It's like you're saying "this is really really great but at the same time meh", I'm not really understanding. Sorry, wish I could be clearer but I just don't get this review at all...

this rules, might have to 4 it. hellysium is the shit

and yeah you don't really state any negatives in the review, you even called it a fabulous death metal album and then say "it's good enough for now". isnt the whole point of an album to be great? it seems like you're panning the album for having little impact on the genre but that really doesn't matter if the music's good

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic

August 5th 2015

i just don't see how a "fabulous" album and "crystalline emblem of brutal death metal in 2015" could warrant anything less than a 3.5

Xenophanes
August 5th 2015

I had a thorough comment made out to discuss my score but I don't care. It's 2015. I've been doing this for six years. I cannot possibly bring myself to argue a rating any longer. If two sentences cause you to argue a half of a point then I think that's more your problem than mine.

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

TheNotrap
August 5th 2015

Catchy easy listening BDM with some great riffs.

Digging: Burning Witches - Hexenhammer

ProjectFreak
August 5th 2015

This album art looks sweet but also makes me feel like I know exactly how this sounds.

psyclonus
August 5th 2015

One of my favourite albums so far this year, far more enjoyable than 'Hellenic' but not quite up there with 'Titan Strife'. It doesn't need to do anything new, it has great riffs throughout and fine production. It's the first album in a while that i've actually wished was longer, it's over far too soon. A welcome comeback. And the album art is so good.

August 5th 2015

hellysium may be my dm song of the year. reminds me of old school suffo

Acanthus
August 5th 2015

This is pretty fun, a nice throwback in some areas too.

FearThyEvil
August 5th 2015

Not sure if it's the production or not but this so much louder than practically my entire itunes library.

TzarChasm
August 6th 2015

That album artwork is just incredible. I have nothing else to contribute here.

Anthracks
August 6th 2015

Pretty much the only good techy death album released this year so far.

Digging: Serocs - The Phobos / Deimos Suite

1991 Comments

I kinda wish he would have said something about the summary. I guess I can kinda see what we could do worse but what's better then?

FearThyEvil
August 6th 2015

It's great but there's definitely better out there.

zaruyache

19861 Comments

is it just my computer or does the long summary line wreck the main page?

edit: nop nvm it's Spirit's review doing it, rofl.

Digging: Grotesque - The Black Gate is Closed

1991 Comments

Plz rec me some stuff, seriously. I'm not a huge fan of of brutal/technical death metal but these guys really hit the spot for me.

Anthracks
August 6th 2015

Severed Savior and the two latest Deeds of Flesh albums.

UnitK2K
August 7th 2015

This album rules. Some of the riffs remind me of Through the Eyes of the Dead, but this is a bit more refined. Little bit less repetition in each song, chugging-wise, than TtEotD and more techy riffs make this sweet. Sometimes you just want something to hit hard, and this definitely does that. I want to get this band out there more.

Oh and I think this new vocalist is better than their last one.

CARNIVOROUS