Avril Lavigne
Let Go

by Shamus248 USER (70 Reviews)
July 29th, 2015 | 321 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You might say it's sad that Lavigne's debut album would still hold up as her best 13 years after its release. More importantly, if you're not a fan of her newer work, this album will take you back to the peak of her talent.

Avril Lavigne's music has ventured into places far and wide since her meteoric debut in 2002. What started as enjoyable punk rock from a 16 year old has turned into a mix of dubstep and technopop. She's surely matured as a person (her maturity was evident from the get-go). But it's her music that has regressed to quite some extent. Truly a shame, because the majority of the material she has released as of late is not nearly as appealing or infectious as this masterful and consummate debut.

Lead-off single "Complicated" remains among her most popular tracks to this day, and deservedly so. Lavigne's infectious and alluring vocals are beyond what is expected of a 16-year old. Keep in mind, she was in fact 16 when this record was released. Not to mention, she jumped from label to label after fighting for control of what kind of music she wanted to make. This mantra is undoubtedly intriguing, at least from my perspective. At just 16 years of age, Lavigne proved herself to be unafraid to make the music she wanted to make, rather than to appease what others wanted. This confidence and certainty was the benchmark for how terrific this record would be. Getting back on topic, "Complicated", along with album opener "Losing Grip" are trademark example of Lavigne's talent, as well as the instrumentation backing these tracks. The musicality is showcased with daunting ease and exquisite mastery. Tracks such as "I'm With You" show the pinnacle of Lavigne's vocalism and lyricism. While very commonplace for a teenager, Lavigne performs "I'm With You", among others, with tenacity and maturation, the likes of which were and are hard to come by.

"Sk8er Boi", is an up-tempo, enjoyable track that brings a smile to your face even after repeated listens. I find myself, years and years after initially hearing this track, continuing to succumb to its catchy hooks, imposing guitar solo, and impeccable vocal performance from Lavigne. Though a bit simplistic lyrically ("He was a boy/She was a girl/Can I make it any more obvious""), the track succeeds in that facet, and furthermore, gains a relatable and listenable magnetism to its merit. "Unwanted", the sixth track of the record, opens with a picture perfect blend of electric and acoustic guitars that's impossible not to enjoy. Lavigne's voice comes off as having a bit of twang to it, but that does not take away its credibility in the slightest. All throughout this record, Lavigne proves herself and her songcraft to be "Anything but Ordinary", another track that is very demonstrative in just how talented this girl is. This track, like many, is typical and expected of teenage lyricism, though the aforementioned maturity gives it quite the boost to make it worth multiple listens.

Overall, this album holds up as Lavigne's best. It's too bad she didn't maintain this style of music. But, as mentioned, she wanted to make her music and not someone else's. Even with that said, however, if her vision was to transgress from punk rock to technopop, then I sadly do not look forward to her future discography.

Ice Nine Kills The Silver ScreamCarrie Underwood Cry Pretty
Three Days Grace One-XJason Aldean Rearview Town
Three Days Grace OutsiderIce Nine Kills Every Trick in the Book
good
Necrotica (4)
A beacon of light in the pop world, Avril Lavigne's debut album is a staggering combination of attit...

mark1991 (3.5)
Structured Rebellion...

Asdfp277

19153 Comments

"...dubstep and technopop."

-?????

July 28th 2015

Listen to Hello Kitty and other tracks on her self titled album

Asdfp277

19153 Comments

oh lol i forgot about that song

July 28th 2015

She's alright. One of the better pop-rockers despite a creative decline in her career.

Cygnatti
July 28th 2015

fuckin lol i WISH technopop actually existed

someguest
July 28th 2015

Avril doesn't even have an it. She's just letting it all go - before it was cool.

July 28th 2015

I've never been fond of her newer material...tracks like "Slipped Away", "Girlfriend" and even "Rock and Roll" are good songs, the rest are just garbage.

July 28th 2015

This ain't no 5 broski. It's decent though.

July 28th 2015

I always liked it, so a bit of nostalgia for me. others may only like it to an extent, but I enjoyed it when it was released, so I have some history with it.

July 28th 2015

I was also around when it was released. Surely, my less matured taste in music appreciated this more back then, but it wears off as you explore different genres and as you get older (for me at least). I was only about 9 or 10 was it came out.

July 28th 2015

yeah I was pretty young when the album was released, but comparing it to her newer work, and with my much expanded taste, and considering the music I like, I very much prefer this as opposed to her newer shit err I mean material

July 28th 2015

Your pie chart is....interesting. The percentage of metalcore then pop music is interesting.

July 28th 2015

I have diverse taste lol

July 28th 2015

Kinda cool. Metal is like 60% of my music tbh, but I like other music as well.

July 28th 2015

yeah, I mostly listen to rock, metal, maybe some metalcore and post-hardcore...but I can also go for rap, hip-hop, punk and even some country...like I said, very diverse lol

July 28th 2015

That's always a good thing.

July 28th 2015

yeah, one gripe I have is people who claim to like all kinds of music, but in reality they only listen to like 3 bands, all 3 of whom suck and have no quality whatsoever

Supercoolguy64

good review, pos'd
avril used to been so punk rawk, she used to skated in malls and shit

Digging: Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest

FlyheadMetal

oh yah

FlyheadMetal
July 28th 2015

i used to want to do avril lavigne very very hard until i learned she's fucking the hairy dude from nickelback...haha no thanks