Robin Trower
Bridge of Sighs

by Rawmeeth38 USER (10 Reviews)
February 25th, 2015 | 10 replies

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Great solo album by Trower; just bad timing

The year was 1974 and Robin Trower had released his second studio album known as, “Bridge of Sighs”. Robin Trower is a fantastic guitarist and has very good writing ability on this one. But his words are said through James Dewar, the bassist, who is also a skilled singer. His vocals are very fitting for the albums atmosphere I’ve come to notice. Also with Geoff Emerick, their sound engineer, every track sounded great.

Trower’s guitar throughout the album sounds awesome and sloppy. He plays all the notes he wants and makes it sound killer. I would compare it to Neil Young's playing in a way. The genre I’ve come to see for this album is slightly psychedelic/bluesy rock. Trower’s music sounds similar to some of Clapton’s work on Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos. I can tell it is very much influenced. But, Trower really does rock some kickass jams on here. He plays his music well. This album doesn’t get enough attention in my opinion.

Some notable jams that I listen to a lot are Day of the Eagle, Bridge of Sighs, In This Place, Too Rolling Stoned, and About To Begin. Trower really does some amazing guitar work on Too Rolling Stoned but throughout the album as well. Every song plays very nicely and at a runtime of 35 min, it’s a very nice listen every once in a while. Whenever you’re about to go somewhere and have to get ready, it’s nice to throw it on the turntable. It’s a very nice listen and I don’t really get tired of it.

The only thing I come to realize is that it just sounds familiar. The music on Bridge of Sighs has been played very much through 1967-71 already. This does not mean the tracks don’t sound awesome. Every track is good. But I think it may be why Trower doesn’t get a lot of attention. Maybe if he had his solo career through those years, he would’ve been a lot bigger. But he released this in 1974 and this genre had already been played a lot earlier. This is also why progressive rock bands strived through the mid-70s. Yes, Rush, and Pink Floyd were playing amazing music that no one had heard before.

Definitely recommend this though. It really rocks. Give Too Rolling Stoned a listen if you want to hear his guitar ability. But, I highly recommend just listening through. This album is for sure overlooked because Trower is a great guitarist and writer. Just maybe came up at the wrong time.

Best Tracks: "Day of the Eagle" "Bridge of Sighs" "Fool and Me" "Too Rolling Stoned"

3.7/5

Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of TownGuru Guru UFO
Bruce Springsteen The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street ShufflePretend Tapestry'd Life
Graveyard (SWE) Innocence & DecadenceBruce Springsteen Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.
Timmah99 (4)
Some great, overlooked classic rock from a generally underrated guitarist....

February 25th 2015

I think I may have cut it a little short but that's my opinion on this one.

February 25th 2015

Also Spagett before me had a great review but just wanted to share how I felt

Lord(e)Po)))ts
February 25th 2015

white jimi hendrix with this bitch

Digging: Edyth - Bare II

Definitely white jimi

Archelirion
February 25th 2015

Haven't listened to this in ages, absolutely rules. Title track was one of the first things I learned to play on guitar, dat nostalgia.

Nice is used a lot in the 3rd paragraph, maybe try changing things round a bit there. Also, ' I would compare it to Neil Young in a way, expect that Trower and play really awesome signature riffs for most tracks.' - I'm not sure what this means. Other than that, props for reviewing.

February 25th 2015

sorry bout that it must have been a typo.

tempest--

20632 Comments

great album, my dad showed it to me a long time ago

Lord(e)Po)))ts
February 25th 2015

his new album was santana

TwigTW
February 25th 2015

Went to see Trower live, mostly because of Bridge Of Sighs--such a great song.

Digging: Jungstotter - Love Is

manosg
February 26th 2015

Awesome album.

I appreciate the effort you put in drawing comparisons throughout your review, pos.

Digging: Airged L'amh - One Eyed God