Falls of Rauros
Believe in No Coming Shore

by emester USER (15 Reviews)
January 1st, 2015 | 56 replies

Release Date: 11/01/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: To succeed without exactly raising the bar

Believe it or not, an artist's success has both obvious advantages and even some ramifications. Among those difficulties is the burden of heightened expectations due to a past endeavor striking such a chord with the public critically. Those raised expectations could either make or break public reception of a work. With Believe In No Coming Shore, Falls of Rauros risked falling into a similar situation, but managed to end up being an outlying case: can an album be considered a success when it just about matches the quality of the last" FoR's previous LP, The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood, is one of USBM's finest albums in years. With that in mind, Believe In No Coming Shore has some massive shoes to fill. For the most part, No Coming Shore meets those very expectations, yet at the same time doesn't exactly exceed them. What the album should truly be commended for is the fact that it matches The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood in quality, yet it doesn't sound like a rehash of their previous material.

To begin, No Coming Shore is much shorter in duration than the previous LP, clocking in at a brief yet succinct runtime of forty two minutes, rather than The Light That Dwells' hefty duration of fifty eight minutes. Falls of Rauros are known for how well they convey atmosphere and emotion through their works, and Believe In No Coming Shore is no exception. Beautiful acoustic passages, such as the one heard in the start of "Waxen Voices", transport the listener to tranquil landscapes. Tracks are loaded with tremolo picking and stampeding percussion which gives both scale and momentum to the sound scape presented.The album is also surprisingly fluid in its progression creating a full experience rather than a fragmented collection of tracks.

Both the musicianship and songwriting ability exhibited on No Coming Shore are for the most part phenomenal. Nearly every track is laden with both beautiful guitar melodies as well as serene acoustic passages, each played with great proficiency. The vocalist howls in a Weakling-esque fashion that pairs up perfectly with the sense of melancholy presented by the album overall. The drums pound with both energy and restraint when needed to complement the softer passages. The band also utilizes transitions between soft and heavy to great effect, even to the point where in some tracks such as in the middle of "Ancestors of Smoke", where the transition in style is drastic yet somehow executed seamlessly.

As stated before, atmosphere plays a big role in Falls of Rauros' songwriting. Each track presents a variety of emotions, whether it be the joyous energy in "Ancestors of Smoke" or the melancholy presented in the album's title track. If one were to attribute a location that describes the album, look no further than the album art itself. It's akin to a cold day at the beach with moments of sun to break the somber grey of the overcast. Beauty seems to be a common theme for FoR when it comes to there compositions, with the soaring melodies creating a balance between the raw emotion exemplified in the vocal performance.

However, Believe In No Coming Shore still has its share of problems that keeps it from surpassing The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood. Believe In No Coming Shore is not a groundbreaking record by any means. It is more or less a continuation of the ideas explored on Fall Of Rauros' previous record, with the aforementioned emphasis on atmosphere being present once again. In addition to that, there are some production issues with the percussion, which primarily include a grainy sound to the crash and clangs of the cymbals, which can be quite distracting when you consider how clear the guitar is mixed. While these issues are more or less nitpicks, the real problem with Believe In No Coming Shore is its lack of surprise that it gives the listener. Those who have listened to Fall Of Rauros' previous LP know exactly how competent the band is. One usually expects to have their expectations exceeded in addition to being met. While satisfying, Falls of Rauros' does not exactly top their last effort.

To be quite honest, meeting the expectations created from the acclaim of The Light That Dwells In Rotting Wood was already a hard thing to do, considering the level of quality that had to be met. In the end,Believe In No Coming Shore is competent follow up to the previous record while at the same time being a stellar black metal record on its own.

Mithras On Strange LoopsSolar Mass Pseudomorphosis
Moonsorrow Jumalten aikaDavid Bowie Blackstar
Plague Phalanx Plague PhalanxArghoslent Hornets of the Pogrom

January 1st 2015

A big thanks to Atari and ExplosiveOranges for helping me profread this thing. Once again, constructive criticism is appreciated.

Tunaboy45
January 1st 2015

I really need to give this a listen, sounds good. Enjoyed reading, pos.

Keyblade
January 1st 2015

Heard a track from this the other day, really damn good. Need to get around to hearing this fully

Gameofmetal
January 1st 2015

Great review, was wondering when someone would do this.

Kinda bummed because this grew off me a little for some reason, might need to give it another listen see if it'll grow some. Definitely liked the last album more

@Gameofmetal Thanks!

I think in the end I prefer their previous record. The first two tracks on here ar kinda weak but once you reach Ancestors
of Smoke its all quality stuff from there onward

Ignimbrite
January 1st 2015

This didn't blow me away, but it's still a pretty solid album. Good review.

Gameofmetal
January 1st 2015

I think the last time I listened I felt like the short songs were too short and long songs were too long for some reason. Idk.

zaruyache

19876 Comments

Believe in no Crappy Production

Digging: Grotesque - The Black Gate is Closed

January 1st 2015

Hard pos. still one of my favorite bm albums of 2014 and really deserved a review. You da man

Digging: Pistol Annies - Interstate Gospel

Crysis
January 1st 2015

was wondering when this was gonna get a review. album starts off really slow but picks up after the third track or so

January 2nd 2015

@Atari

Thanks man! This was one of the better black metal records of the year for me. Probs in my top 30 of 2014

feanaro
January 5th 2015

Huh. Well written review but I kind of completely disagree with a lot of your points about the album and I think there are some other aspects of this worth highlighting... might write something up of my own about this. Still good to see this getting reviewed, definitely one of my favorites this year and maybe my favorite BM release.

@Feanaro

Thanks for the feedback. What exactly dont you agree about?

AngryNeighbor

all those fours!

feanaro
January 5th 2015

Mmm. Nothing that I think you're exactly wrong about, I just think this is pretty different from their last record and I actually wouldn't really call this atmospheric, both observations which I think are connected to the pretty unique thing Falls are trying to do here. Probably will work those thoughts into a review.

January 5th 2015

Cool, now that I think of it I find the production on this to be more raw than the previous LP. So yeah I guess there is some differences between the two.

Cant wait to see what you got going in that review of yours :D

RivalSkoomaDealer
January 16th 2015

Had to bump my rating for this.

Digging: Beyond Creation - Algorythm

Crysis
February 22nd 2015

picked this up on wax today at the record store, such a fantastic album especially when it really gets going

February 22nd 2015

Sweet. Been planning to order their previous album on wax myself.

And yeah once Ancestors of Smoke starts there really is no stopping this record

TalonsOfFire
May 7th 2015

Good review, I'll check this out

Digging: Thom Yorke - Suspiria