Jaden Smith
Cool Tape Vol. 2

by BSS USER (1 Reviews)
November 24th, 2014 | 39 replies

Release Date: 11/17/2014 | Tracklist

This should probably suck. It is the product of a 16 year old rapper who was only relevant in the first place because of his famous father, whose own rap career eventually descended into what was more of a running joke. Because of this, the prejudices many listeners hold against all that is wrong with “mainstream” hip-hop will instantly be reasons for them to hate it. I admit even I first listened to this in hopes of a good laugh when I saw the hype it was receiving on rap websites. However, I was surprised to find out that Cool Tape Vol 2 is surprisingly one of the best mixtapes to drop this year.

From a straight banger in “Fire” to a sprawling, emotional ode to a teenage crush in “Let It Breathe”, this tape has everything you could want from a hip-hop release. Jaden Smith’s flows may not be the most original you’ve ever heard, but they are very well executed and his lyrics keep your attention. In fact, everything on this mixtape is done well, from the smooth beats to the flawless singing from Jaden’s younger sister Willow (Just listen to “PCH” for proof). This tape might not change the face of hip-hop, but could we really expect that from a 16 year old" What this is is an incredibly enjoyable tape with few flaws, and the only complaint I’m left with is how short it is.

2.2
poor

HolidayKirk
November 24th 2014

"Didn't proofread this, just had to make sure I put this out before the myriad of other reviews coming for it"

Protip: Don't do this.

November 24th 2014

i thought the sarcasm was well implied, my apologies

DropdeadWHA
November 24th 2014

I can't take you seriously.

November 24th 2014

I swear I'm completely serious. I'm sure this isn't for everyone but I find it surprisingly enjoyable. Listen for yourself, stream and free download here:

Frippertronics

How Can Mixtapes Be Real If Our Ears Aren't Real

DirEnRefused

Yeezus' has risen again

November 24th 2014

Thanks melonade, glad to see there are other people on this site who enjoy this.

November 24th 2014

"It is the product of a 16 year old rapper"

He turned 16 long ago

IronGiant

god damn it I like this

November 24th 2014

Yea July, very long time ago lol. Check Wikipedia or IMDB.

November 24th 2014

guess that reference went over your head

November 24th 2014

I guess so. What exactly are you referencing?

November 24th 2014

" famous father, whose own rap history was more of a running joke than a career."

ummmm his stuff with Jazzy Jeff is quite good and rather influential

Digging: Venom Prison - Samsara

More of his "famous" tweets kind of like Frip did. Specifically this one:

"It's Your Birthday" Mateo Said. I Didn't Respond. "Are You Not Excited To Be 15" He Asked. Reading My Book I Uttered "I Turned 15 Long Ago"

Dunpeal
November 24th 2014

natural born rapper right hurrrr

November 24th 2014

@Scream!: Ah, I had no idea anyone cared about his twitter, probably because I don't have one.

@Trebor: I was referring to his solo career, but I guess you make a decent point.
Edit: I rephrased that sentence, hopefully it's more accurate now.

November 24th 2014

neither do I but his tweets are sort of internet famous

Let
November 24th 2014

BSS, you have to check his tweets, they're some next level philosophical shit.

Dunpeal
November 24th 2014

yea. he puts terrence mckenna to shame