All Them Witches
Lightning At The Door

by SCREAM! USER (58 Reviews)
October 24th, 2014 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Combining the best of the old with the new in rock and metal.

Whether they are blatantly ripping off a successful band or forging a new path in a genre, every band has its influences. Listening to All Them Witches, it is easy enough to see where these influences lay. Take a strong base in blues heavy rock a la Zeppelin, throw in some heavy psychedelic distortion reminiscent of early Sabbath, and wrap it all up with a flair for modernity that gives a nod towards The Black Keys. All of these combined together into an album that combines elegant musicianship with great song writing and is nicely paced to boot.

What really makes Lightning at the Door such an engaging listen is how the band manages to combine these various influences, which have all been rehashed to death, so seamlessly that they come out sounding fresh. Although one influence may be clearly prevalent during a certain song, "The Marriage of Coyote Woman" seems like a nod towards Dazed and Confused type Zeppelin song writing for example, the band never stray too far from their core sound and are all the stronger for it. Throughout the album the lines between rock and metal genres are blurred as what sounds like an alternative rock track in "Charles William" quickly explodes into a loud crescendo of stoner rock distortion so much that, when the album ends, you’re left wondering what exactly you just listened to. Was it alternative rock" Stoner rock/metal" Bluesy hard rock" In the end, such questioning is irrelevant as one thing is for sure, whatever it was, it was damn good. It finds a middle ground between all of these genres and features a little something for everyone’s tastes.

With this second album, All Them Witches have shown tremendous growth over their debut. The simple stoner alt rock formula they experimented with on Our Mother Electricity has been developed and fine tuned into something unique and fresh. The album remains engaging from beginning to end thanks to its countless twists and turns as it weaves in and out of the various sounds it encompasses. Lightning at the Door comes recommended for any fan of rock and metal.

Von Satanic Blood AngelAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Forteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe LégendesFuck the Facts Amer
Maneige Les PorchesDark Castle Spirited Migration

October 24th 2014

short reviews are the best reviews amiright?

k

When God Comes Back : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-Pfuxzwr8

Charles William: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj4hbZ_rpk

October 24th 2014

Yeah I know it is but figured no one would want a 45 min link so I just picked a couple of songs.

I didn't find this generic at all, I thought they did a really good job of meshing together a bunch of influences.

October 24th 2014

"I didn't find this generic at all"

Hence not even "some parts"

"Hence my 3-3.5. Accentuating the 'good'."

Damnit cap don't be like that. Also I said a really good job

ScuroFantasma
October 25th 2014

good review, it was an enjoyable read. this sounds pretty cool, I might give one of the songs a listen later on.

Digging: Rabor - ????????

October 25th 2014

@cap love you too buddy. What are these emotional, bleak, empowering albums you're referring to?

@scuro Hope you enjoy it man!

October 26th 2014

Album is killer, great review too. They do wear their influences on their sleeves though, some songs could come straight from a Black Keys album or Dan Auerbach covering a Zeppelin song...

You picked up the Dazed and Confused in Marriage, but what about When God Comes Back - that song is essentially identical to Black Dog.

Swallowed By the Sea is the best track in this fo sho, it's where they show their uniqueness. I'm interested in their Effervescent EP which is one 25 minute song

October 26th 2014

I hadn't picked up on that comparison but you're right they are pretty similar. But what I tried to explain in the review is that, to me, even when they single out one influence that was it still comes out sounding like sabbath covering zep with Dan Auerbach on vocals so it gives a pretty unique twist to that zep sound IMO.

November 24th 2014

Effervescent is damn good study music

StickFeit
July 20th 2015

Jesus this band

SharkTooth
November 2nd 2015

so anyone else jamming the new album?

November 2nd 2015

Started listening to it but didn't have time to get through it all. It wasn't impressing me as much as this did but I'll give it a proper listen and see

October 8th 2016

Saw em live yesterday, they played Swallowed By The Sea as their encore and it was the highlight, so good

AdolfChrist
January 30th 2017

this band brings the acid trip.

Digging: Swarms - Black Chapel Sun