DZ Deathrays

by Arcade STAFF
May 7th, 2014 | 17 replies

Release Date: 05/02/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Year of the DZ

Though somewhat facetious in definition, there's really no better way to describe DZ Deathrays than the thrash pop label they're bombarded with. With a keen ability to write memorable vocal hooks matched by riffs that would make Andreas Kisser and Kerry King proud, Deathrays make a gentle journey into their power pop great with songs escalating from the passive title track to the jarring thrash and melody of "Less Out of Sync". It wouldn't be correct to say that this is a thrash metal album by any stretch of the imagination (more an update on the power pop formula), but the harsh, jagged, yet highly concise method with which they handle their craft is enviable; when Shane Parsons effortlessly dives between chaotic riffing, clean/shouted vocals and a standard stop-start noise pop riff in the verses of "Ocean Exploder", you'll be too busy having fun to be noticing the technical skill that he employs. The Aussie 2-piece may be preoccupied lyrically with sleeping and going on drug runs, but they more than make up for it in their subtle musicality; you'd be forgiven for not noticing how limited they are comprised musically as they make their sound so massive in the meantime. It's huge, it's dumb, it's rudimentary and it's hardly innovative- it's also the most fun you'll have in 2014.

Lady Gaga JoanneFoo Fighters Concrete and Gold
Future Islands SinglesAmine Good For You
Jay-Z 4:44Vince Staples Big Fish Theory

May 7th 2014

Can only expect no response to a review of an obscure australian power pop bands' sophomore album, but there you go.

Feedback appreciated

Digging: King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

klap

power pop sign me up

Sign Here:______________
Date:__/__/____

May 7th 2014

Wasn't the album "Black Rat" and not "Black Rats"?

Hope this is as good as Bloodstreams. Spent my NYE with these guys and it was amazing.

MaskAtTheMasquerade

band is ttight

WhiteNoise
May 7th 2014

I wasn't a huge fan of the first album since everything sounded the same (and not in a good way) but I've heard this is much stronger a I'll probably check this out.

Wouldn't really call the band obscure though...

May 7th 2014

Are you fuckin crazy Whitenoise Bloodstreams was fucking killer.

May 7th 2014

yeah it's Black Rat, I'll change that. And outside of more hip circles in Australia, DZ Deathrays are fairly obscure

May 7th 2014

I saw their set at Big Day Out while I was buying merch and they're fucking captivating live. The woman at the merch stand was pissed cos I far more engaged with watching these guys go at it

May 7th 2014

DZ Deathrays playing a room with 100 people in a halfpipe two minutes from New Years' while I was drunk off my fucking nut > BDO.

WhiteNoise
May 7th 2014

Fuck yeah I must be hip!

I've always wanted to see them live in a small venue (not an arena supporting Foo fighters...), I saw
Velociraptor (pretty sure these guys were there) that was a bit of a party on stage.

May 7th 2014

about 14 people gathered to see these guys in perth, was good to get to the front for a handful of songs

May 8th 2014

There's a pic of me backflipping off their stage right as the New Year hit check and mate. :L

djunior
June 26th 2014

Digging this. pretty fun listen

August 29th 2014

It's not as thrashy or wild as Bloodstreams, which disappoints me a little.

August 30th 2014

Yeah, nah, after more listens I'm definitely not feeling this as much as the debut. Nowhere near as thrashy, a lot slower, and where are Shane's screams?. It feels like they're aiming for more commercial appeal. It's not bad, but not Bloodstreams.

October 14th 2014

So torn on this. I want to like it as much as I liked their debut but it's just not happening.