Green Day
iTRE!

1.5
very poor

by theUprightGoat USER (1 Reviews)
February 8th, 2013 | 35 replies

Review Summary: You're old. Stop making this music.

Since their inception, Green Day has existed as a kind of pop regurgitation machine. Their albums are merely reflections of whatever point of 70’s pop history they happen to be listening to at the time, with varying levels of bite and catchiness. Green Day’s latest trilogy of albums keep up this pattern, though as pop musicians frequently do their attitude has receded over the years. And as I watch this now toothless old man doggedly nom on the same stale old piece of bubblegum he’s been chewing for years the only question that I can find myself asking is “why”"

This whole affair is frankly a big waste of time. Green Day can’t even be bothered to write middle-left anthems with all the conviction of an upper middle class soccer mom’s bumper sticker anymore. Instead we have Billie Joe sloganeering about a whole lot of nothing.

I lied, there is a middle-left fist-waver, “99 Revolutions”. Chalk it up with Jefferson Starships “We Built This City” among examples of rebel-posturing cheese. And then we go into the recycled and recycled and recycled piano ballad of “The Forgotten”. Why am I still here"

This is the lamest paint-by-numbers-pop album Green Day have offered yet. I hear the sound of the last American arena-rock band going the way of their forebears and fading into utter irrelevance. Await the reunion jukebox tours and maybe an album in a decade if you want to hear them actually try.

Did I mention they’re old"

2.7

theUprightGoat
February 8th 2013

Tertiary rec listens are for people who want better teeny pop records or just like listening to aging arena rockers run out of ideas.

YoYoMancuso

Calc

negatronned

ChopSuey

nice another review

someone needs to fix this glitch where the comments and the sidebar like mold together[2]

slipnslide

..............................

this [2]

demigod!
February 8th 2013

i wonder how many reviews this trilogy has all together

YoYoMancuso
February 8th 2013

demi: 15. each album has 5 reviews.

paxman
February 8th 2013

Great review, will read again under my covers with a flashlight

theUprightGoat
February 8th 2013

when you're Green Day there is.

Kman418
February 8th 2013

Considering that Green Day's best work is so great because it's fueled by the energy of adolescence, yeah I do think there should be an age limit for them making music. If they had tried maturing their sound and growing as artists they might have been able to still put out good content, but instead they tried sticking to the same formula, and of course it failed cause they're all in their 40s now. Same thing happened with Taking Back Sunday on their latest album.

Asdfp277
February 8th 2013

The problem is not them, it's you. You feel awkward about old people making music, it
has nothing to do with the music itself.