Nicki Minaj
Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

1.0
awful

by brassman01 USER (2 Reviews)
October 11th, 2012 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Atrocious, disastrous "musical" garbage. Definitely worthy of a 0, if only sputnik would let me do that.

I'll start right off by saying I'm not the biggest fan of today's pop and rap. Very much of the material put out today, especially in the mainstream, just lacks any true musical quality that can establish the "professional musicianship" of today's rappers and pop stars. I am, however, a huge fan of more old-school material. Many albums released in the past demonstrated a much more intricate and clever use of different beats, different instrumentation ranging from acoustic to electronic, and lyrics that were much more expressive, or at least a heck of a lot more creative. It seems, however, that ever since the late 90's, the quality of rap and pop declined. Even the legendary Micheal Jackson was starting to lose his creative juices. It just seemed like it went farther and farther downhill until it hit rock bottom with Rebecca Black's "Friday"... or at least I thought that was rock bottom.

Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" demonstrates everything I can't stand about today's pop and rap. Everything from bad vocal execution and terrible lyrics, to a complete lack of any interesting instrumentals, or really, a complete lack of any positive, or "textbook" musical concepts. This album just doesn't do anything right. Nothing flows well; the songs just seem really jumbled up, and at points, completely random. That, and the listening experience is not only incredibly shallow, but the experience is cringe worthy. There's absolutely nothing that can save this album. At least with most modern mainstream music, it's somewhat tolerable without feeling like every single positive musical element that can exist is destroyed. But "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" seems to take itself another step further, and rids itself of any possible saving grace. Well, Nicki wanted to create something unique that didn't follow the rules... She got her wish.

Let's start with the vocals and the lyrics. Dear god, what potty-mouthed five-year-old did Nicki hire to write these lyrics" Oh wait, she wrote them" Wow. I'm seriously amazed. I wonder how she came up with this stuff. "Starships were meant to fly," umm okay, go ahead and state the obvious. "Bitches 'aint *** and they 'aint saying nothing... I beez in the trap, be-beez in the trap," I guess I should be somewhat impressed. It's certainly a heck of a lot more creative than what's next. "You a stupid hoe, you a you a stupid hoe (7x)," yeah... Nothing about Nicki Minaj is impressive lyrically. Some of it is just hilariously awful. The worst part of it is that she takes herself seriously. If this were a funny joke, it would be MUCH better. What makes it even worse is her vocal execution. There are times when she uses this incredibly annoying high pitched tone (listen to Stupid Hoe), and there are other times where she sounds like a spazzed out druggy, if that description can fit her vocal style. She does, however, demonstrate some impressive vocal quality. That potential talent is, however, overshadowed by horrendous vocal and lyrical execution.

Another major flaw on this album (as stated above): There are no positive, or "textbook" musical qualities here. Now I'm all for exploration, but that can't be used as an excuse here. There are just no positive musical qualities that can save this album. Many of the songs are just jumbled up and don't have any good flowing structure. The songs don't transition very well either. Going from one song to the next may result in a completely different change in sound, tone, pace, and rhythm, making the album sound incredibly random. That, and there's a complete lack of any good musicianship. Sadly, the biggest positive with this album are the beats. Even though they're incredibly simplistic, they're still a heck of a lot more enjoyable than the seemingly random sound effects, as well as Nicki's horrendous vocals. A complete lack of any good musicianship and songwriting destroys whatever could be interesting here, making any musical listening, whether it be objective or subjective, useless.

Today's music industry has seen it's fair share of "interesting" musical acts. Nicki Minaj just so happens to be one of them. She isn't interesting for any good musicianship, or any truly memorable songs (at least not in the eyes and ears of anyone with trained, and or objective musical ears), she has simply become popular for a different personality that is simply nothing more than a rip-off combination of Lil' Kim and Lady Gaga. There is absolutely nothing that can save this album musically or lyrically. What use to be a potential talent in her underground days, has just become another drone of the music industry. She just happens to have created a style for herself that makes her even worse than all the other pop stars and rappers in the industry. I know this review is long, but if Nicky really put a lot of time and effort into this album, I may as well do the same for the review of this album. Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" is absolutely terrible. It alone makes me think we should all be able to give a score of 0, with the description being "disaster." After all, this album is nothing more than that: A complete and total disaster.

1.7
very poor
Dashnavar (2)
Nicki's sophomore effort plays more like two poorly conceived albums than one cohesive work....

KhristTheLord (2.5)
Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded is Nothing Special, but Neither is Anything Else on the Radio...

dylantheairplane (3)
Nicki finally makes the album Pink Friday wanted to be....

Cygnatti

nicki is a hoe

It's not that bad. =D

breakingthefragile
October 11th 2012

It's not that bad. =D (2)

StagnantWords
October 11th 2012

Really people gave this above a one? This bitch is absolutely atrocious, mainstream really can't get much worse, right?

October 11th 2012

It gets a lot worse than this I think.

Britney Spears, Simple Plan, Soulja Boi

StagnantWords
October 11th 2012

I think soulja boy and this are on the same level with mainstream country.

Simple plan sucks obviously, but i'd take back the days where they ruled the airwaves than this mitt romney Loving bitch

October 11th 2012

It's not much worse. My 2.5 is generous.

defjaw83
October 11th 2012

No mention of the guest artists?

Brostep
October 11th 2012

Agree with the rating. If I were to separate today's pop artists into tiers with guys like fun. at the top and artists(?) like Rihanna at the bottom, Nicki Minaj would be in her own category buried below the cellar

Mike08
October 11th 2012

I won't be disagreeing with the rating but;

1. You sound unprofessional with usage of; "heck of a lot."
2. Main problem though is your review seems biased toward a strong distaste of the pop music altogether. There is a difference between a fair chance and a rant...

- I can tell you side on disgust because of your use of vague words and extreme words.
1. especially in the mainstream, just lacks any true musical quality that can establish the "professional musicianship" of today's rappers and pop stars.
2. Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" demonstrates everything I can't stand about today's pop and rap.
3. There's absolutely nothing that can save this album.
4. There are no positive, or "textbook" musical qualities here.
5. There is absolutely nothing that can save this album musically or lyrically.

- You won't find me disagreeing with these statements, but I lost interest in really reading this review. This strikes me as more a swipe at pop/rap than Nikki Minaj, but even if that wasn't the case, your evidence for a 1 rating was based upon "shoutout" ranting style.

foultzyyy

great, no, but "It's not that bad. =D" [3]

WashboardSuds
October 11th 2012

"1. You sound unprofessional with usage of; "heck of a lot.""

he does?

Wolfhorde
October 12th 2012

So this bitch supposedly studied theater for 4 year. Why is she even making music?

Wolfhorde
October 13th 2012

She'd be served well taking some of the starships she's singing about to get her to her home planet. Not even Brazil wants that bitch all up in their business. And if even SA wants to keep you out, you're probably a horrible human being.

brassman01
October 15th 2012

Sorry if I didn't sound professional on this one. Yes, I do understand that the use of "heck of a lot" is bad especially in reviews, and some of the terms I used are vague or extreme. I also do understand that I sound like I have a dislike toward today's pop, because I do. This review was part of me expressing how this album is everything I dislike about today's pop and rap. When I use "'textbook' music qualities," it's a term I've seen in reviews and articles from actual musicians. I understand, it's a little bit stupid, but musicians look for certain qualities in music in determining if it's good or expressive. That also goes in hand with "professional musicianship," something else that is not displayed on this album. Again sorry if I just sounded like I was bashing pop and rap, but I gave my reasons to why I don't like it. I do however, like I said in the review, like old school material that can actually be called good music from an objective stand point. Like... (surprise) Micheal Frickin' Jackson.

snoopdogg6969
October 18th 2012

get this shit out of the hip hop section you clowns