Nile
Annihilation of the Wicked

by SlayerDeath93 USER (1 Reviews)
July 11th, 2011 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Annihilation for the Wicked is one of, if not the, best album by Nile. Brutal, unrelenting, insane, maddening and evil. A great buy if you are a fan of Egyptian culture, or death metal.

Nile. A band known for have very complex riffs with different time signatures. Their most recent release is Those Whom The Gods Detest but instead of reviewing that. I shall review my favorite album by them. An album called Annihilation of the Wicked.

The first song is entitled Dusk Falls Upon the Temple of the Serpent on the Mount of Sunrise and is a very great intro to the carnage that would follow. It gives a sense of knowing something is about to happen. That something would be the track Cast Down The Heretic. When this reviewer first heard it, it blew him out of his seat. Very fact, very strong. It also marks the first appearance of their new drummer at the time George Kollias (who has remained the drummer of Nile since then). Anyways, the track is fast, heavy and downright crazy. The build-up to the solo actually sounds like a build-up to a solo, unlike many bands who just switches to the same riff. During the solo, it seems as if Karl and Dallas are having a guitar "rock off" and as it ends, the chanting of the mad masses ring out "CAST! DOWN! THE HERETIC!" as if we were back in time during the Salem Witch Trials. An amazing beginning song from Nile indeed.

The next track is called Sacrifice Unto Sebek which, in this reviewer's opinion, is too short. It starts off with a crushing intro which leads to a moment of madness. That moment of madness does not let up. Not at all. It rocks you to the floor, but then it suddenly disappears. You wonder "Where did it go"" then you realize the song is below 3 minutes. Very, VERY unrelenting song, but just like an episode of madness, it ends before you even realize it.

User Maat Re is the title of the 4th track, and is a mammoth of a song. The opening of the song is calm, yet ominous. Creepy, if you want to say it that way. But that opening stop and for a second, you don't hear a thing. As you are about say something, the distortion kicks in, startling you. Nile starts to show a different side, a more doom metal like side. Slow. But as you start to adapt to the turtle like pace, it turns into another fury of insanity. The lyrics aren't anything to get meaning out of unless you read the liner notes (Karl explains every track in GREAT detail so you would not sit on your couch or chair looking like an idiot while reading the lyrics), but there is one thing that will forever stay in the back of this reviewer's mind. The phrase constantly repeated at the end, "Thou hast done nothing". User Maat Re is a track made of gold.

So far, the whole album feels like a goldmine, until you hit the next two tracks, The Burning Pits of the Duat and Chapter of Obeisance Before Giving Breath to the Inert One in the Presence of the Crescent Shaped Horns. Both songs have positive things to hear in them (the subject matter in the former and the fast pace of lyrics in the latter) but it is not enough to get them out of the hole they dug theirselves in. In this reviewer's opinion, they are filler material. Not stuff to keep your earphones glued to your ears. Though opinions may vary from different listeners.

The next track is the famous Lashed to the Slave Stick, and it is famous for a reason. Great music, and awesome lyrics. That is all I need to say.

The next track is undoubtedly one of the most ominous and creepy tracks this reviewer has EVER heard. This track I am speaking of is called Spawn of Uamenti. It comprises of a low tuned French horn, and mp3 clips of reptiles. Very creepy, very ominous, very awesome.

The next track is by opinion, the best track on Annihilation of the Wicked. This song's name is actually the title of the album. Yes, it is Annihilation of the Wicked. An amazing track with superb guitar and drum work, and superb lyrics. This review in not enough to stress out how amazing this song is. From the fast beginning riff to the ending chugging, it is quite an amazing song. In fact, this reviewer belives this song should have been the ending track (don't get me wrong, the actual ending track is amazing to, but I'll get to that). Best song out of the entire album.

The last track is entitled Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten, which is translated to Of Unspeakable Cults. It is opened by a toll of a bell and quickly leads you down to a city of reptiles, whose goals are to rise out of there buried, forgotten city. For more meaning, consult Karl Sanders. Anyways, this song is a very good song in it's own merits, especially the demonic rant from Dallas after the epic (a term that this reviewer uses wisely) guitar solo. But there is a problem with it. In my opinion, it does not sound like a great album closer. The title track was the perfect album closer, but that varies by the opinion of various people who likes this album. Nonetheless, Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten is one of Nile's best songs. Period.

Ad Absurdum (4)

south_of_heaven 11 (4.5)
Blistering speed and amazing technicality, "Annihilation of the Wicked" is a stunning achievement in...

James G (4)
Egyptian insanity....

branflakes911
July 11th 2011

I agree with a lot of what you say, but there are a ton of grammar issues in here. Also, you say things are great or awesome without really explaining why, without giving a description of what you're talking about. Not a bad review, but it needs some work.

BloodSweatandBeers

yeeesh

do you actually masturbate to this album
cause it really seems like it

shrapnel

completely unnecessary paragraph

you actually need to say more than that

Jruined
July 11th 2011

All of the sudden I started smelling coke. That diesel sharp smell. Dunno why, and I apologize for the non sequitur, but that is exactly the smell that overrode my nose when I finished reading your review (and I haven't ridden a rail in 10+ years).

Odd.

Review was alright, although the track attack you have going on makes it feel pedantic at times. I like the fact that you are excited about this album but I think the way you write about it takes away from what the reader may want to know. I think most people read the reviews to find out whether or not they might want to hear an album (older or newer material), dissecting it down to it's parts takes away from some of the discovery.

Pharoh

"the next track"

'the last track" too much "tracks", use a thesaurus.

brutebeard

Egyptian culture AND DM...great album

Jesuslaves

good shit

eggsvonsatan
July 12th 2011

Review is written in a very strange tone. It changes perspective (first to third person) and tense (present to past) way too often.

none
July 12th 2011

how this got pos'd is beyond me...it seems as if english isnt this reviewer's first language.

so a review shouldn't get pos'd if english isn't the reviewer's first language?

sifFlammable
July 12th 2011

from briefly skimmin through the review his grammar seems ok so i dont think that is the case