Liars
They Threw Us All in a Trench and...

by MusicIsMyFavorite USER (6 Reviews)
January 18th, 2011 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The most traditional Liars album so far, but still worth a listen.

Ah, Liars. A band that absolutely refuses to play by anyone's rules but their own. With each subsequent release, they've shown the world just how little they care for the expectations of others, changing their sound so frequently you'd think that each member had ADD. So how could a little ol' dance-punk record stand up to tribal freakouts, feedback collages, and step-by-step descriptions of corpse disposals"

Pretty damn well, actually.

They Threw Us All In a Trench And Stuck a Monument On Top may be the most mainstream-friendly album they've done thus far, but that certainly doesn't mean that it isn't worth a listen. Liars have immense talent as songwriters, and this talent is heavily flaunted here. Songs like "Mr You're On Fire Mr" and "We Live NE Of Compton" are incredibly danceable and catchy thanks to some of the funkiest bass lines they've ever written. That old punk attitude is put to good use with simple drum beats and pugnacious riffs just as suited to disco dancing as they are to punching someone in the face. Of course, they aren't one-trick ponies, which songs like "Loose Nuts On The Veladrome" and "The Garden Was Crowded and Outside" clearly demonstrate. With their heavy riffs and atonal shouts, these songs showcase Liars' talent for writing headbanger anthems while retaining their own dirty twist. Where lyrics are concerned, they're no poetic geniuses - but who would want deep, meaningful imagery or scathing political commentary on a dance-punk record" They keep it simple and fun (Mr., you're on fire, Mr.! No, sir, I'm okay!).

However, They Threw Us All is not without its issues. The production feels shoddy and rushed at times, and occasionally detracts from what could have been absolutely fantastic songs. "Tumbling Walls Buried Me In Debris With The ESG" features a headache-inducing squeal in the background and (gasp!) a boring, unoriginal bass line. And for some unknowable reason, the last 22 minutes of "This Dust Makes That Mud" are the same 4 seconds of music looped over and over and over again. Filler" Artistic statement" Or are they just screwing with us" One guess is as good as another.

Despite its differences from Liars' later work, They Threw Us All In a Trench And Stuck a Monument On Top is a supremely fun record and an interesting artifact from the band's past. Though future releases saw Liars "grow up" and shed their vernal energy for a textural, less accessible sound, the verve of this album can still be heard.

Don Caballero American DonMatt and Kim Matt & Kim
Bleeding Kansas Dead Under DecorLiars Drum's Not Dead
Ceremony (USA-CA) Violence Violence
jtswope (3.5)
Liars deliver a fragmented dance-punk record that is never short of utter vibrancy....

Drsmith4
January 18th 2011

"verve" happens to be one of my favorite words

AggravatedYeti

solid solid debut

JustJoe
January 18th 2011

"This Dust Makes That Mud"

All Day.

EaglesBecomeVultures
February 12th 2013

god this is so good

AmericanFlagAsh
April 8th 2014

Mr Your on Fire Mr is a fucking JAM

21928 Comments

How is this "their most traditional" yet, when it's their first album?

jtswope

DO THE TWIST

21928 Comments

This closer is erasing my mind.

21928 Comments

This is like post punk electronic disco noise funk.

jtswope
June 7th 2014

The closer is one of the best tracks on here. Sure the repetition part is kind of obnoxious, but up until that point it's incredible.

scottpilgrim10
June 7th 2014

What's better this or Mess?

21928 Comments

I think this is better than Mess and the closer rules.

scottpilgrim10
June 7th 2014

Sweet, I'll have to check it out eventually.

conditionals
January 8th 2017

Still their best. For the simple fact that their rhythm section is so fucking amazing - the band as they are now can take on any shape and form, but it will never sound as visceral without that backup.

conditionals
November 9th 2017

BTW "I wanted to give this a 4.5, but the last song ruins it. It just repeats the same thing for 25 minutes. Annoying." - that bumped me from a 4 to a 4.5.

I have the vinyl version and the last track is on a locked loop and can go on... FOREVER