Kyle Bobby Dunn
A Young Person's Guide To...

by juliedneft USER (1 Reviews)
May 28th, 2010 | 2 replies

Review Summary: Beautiful, painfully gorgeous album of growth, separation, meaning, lack of meaning and truth of being.

When I stare at the mysteriously frozen time felt on the front cover of 'A Young Person's Guide,' I myself freeze up, and the first long notes and tones of 'Butel' start the journey of music and time. Where this music could generally be considered relaxing or soothing to the mind and thoughts, I find myself focused and tense about the thoughts and realistic connections it gives off. Dunn's music has been described as being stuck or lost - its hard to compare its exactitude of this fact to anyone else working in this niche today. There's been obvious parallels drawn to ambient or drone based musics recently but this work is far more personal, emotional, and painfully realized in a classical way than those mentioned genres or subgroups.

One could agree that Dunn's titling and music is self-referential and thus his name or alias to his music is his means of explaining himself. The title of the record has an almost sly and humorous context to it, but its the kind that can easily come to tears or a greater transcendent truth and meaning.

I am feeling that his is a great and perfect new album to the new decade and easily the best of the year. Pure, subtly orchestrated pain, memory, sensitivity, communication, and acceptance is found steadily and horrifyingly throughout its 2 hours and it deserves to be acknowledged as a new classic.

Jared Ponton EMERITUS (3)
Another album to get lost in...

Zettel
May 28th 2010

Hi, Julie. I like your writing style, but I find the review lacking. I am not sure why I should listen to it, or why it is that great. It reads more like a comment on the album.

juliedneft
June 19th 2010

It's my first for the site. i really enjoyed this album - to an extent that i found it hard to put into simplistic journalistic terms... i highly recommend it and find it a perfect companion to all kinds of daily things. everything from coffee in the morning to sex after a few glasses of wine.