Megadeth
Greatest Hits: Back to the Start

by Dethtrasher USER (232 Reviews)
September 21st, 2005 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Megadeth Ė Greatest Hits, Back To the Start

Album Information
This is Megadethís second compilation album with songs which is selected by megadeth fans.
The album contains some of their most famous and well-known songs like In My Darkest Hour, Holy Wars, A Tout Le Monde and Hangar 18. There are some remastered and remixed tracks and some of them are Peace Sells, Sweating Bullets and more. The songs are collected from their first album till their album ®The World Needs A Hero®, a great mix of songs but there are a few songs here which gets boring with the time.

Megadeth is known for their technologycal and experimental thrash metal which they have played and plays even today. In the beginning Megadeth played intensive yet ®smart® thrash metal, albums that shows typical changes in thier music are Peace Sells, Rust In Peace and Risk for example. PSBWB is like the rawest and had some of Megadeth most brutal lyrics in few of the songs. Rust is Megadeth's biggest and greatest album to many and I understand that, the songs is presice, very technical but yet melodic and the solos from former member Marty are som of the best and Dave does also some great guitar solos. Songs that contains these fragments can be Holy Wars and Tornado Of Souls. Most thrash metal bands has intensive drumming but not Megadeth, I would describe Megadeth's music as fast, melodic and listener-friendly thrash metal. There is not one album that sounds like another album, all albums has a different sound of its own and thats why Megadeth is so unique.

Megadeth was formed by Dave Mustaine after his departure from Metallica. He was kicked becuase of his alcoholic problems which was affecting Metallica. Through the years Megadeth had many talented musicians in their line ups, poeple like bassist David Ellefson, guitarrists as Marty Friedman and Chris Poland and so on. Dave said once during a live performence that it had been 10 years of bulls*^* between Megadeth and Metallica which is now over, Dave created this band as an revenge because he was kicked. He wanted to be greater than Metallica but he didn't succeed. Thier albums is all different than the other, from thrash metal to more mainstream. But MEgadeth is one of the most well-known bands in metal history, Megadeth was also a member of the Big Four which included Anthrax, Metallica and Slayer during the 80's.

The most classic Megadeth songs on this album is Peace Sells, In My Darkest Hour, A Tout Le Monde, Holy Wars and Hangar 18. Peace Sells is known of its clear message ®Peace Sells But Who's Buying®. Holy Wars is an example of the bands great musical skills, Hangar 18 is known from the music video when they play in this hangar which is full of aliens. A Tout Le Monde is a good example of Dave's talent of writing lyrics and I.M.D.H is known because of its lyrics.

The songs are not new recorded; itís old songs which had their current line-up at the time. I first thought that it was old songs that were played by megadethís line-up that it is today with James and the Drover brothers, but it isnít. One little disappointment though but the remastered tracks sure saves this album.

The remastered tracks are Nr: 1- 4, 6, 7, 9, 11 Ė 13 & 15 - 17. Iím not 100% sure but they donít sound like on the original albums. The most notable songs are In My Darkest Hour, A Tout Le Monde and Prince Of Darkness. The songs I think is a bit boring might be Trust, Kill The King and Dread And The Fugitive Mind, but thatís just my opinion.

Pros
- Good mix of tracks
- Great remastered tracks
- There are many tracks
- Cool album cover

Cons
- Songs like Trust does not fit in a compilation album
- The tracks are not performed by the line-up as it is today

I think that this is a album that every Megadeth fan should have, it is not a perfect album but it has songs that everyone likes, more or less. The remastered tracks makes the album even better with their other sound that some people never heard yet. Final rating: 4.5/5

Opeth DamnationFleshcrawl Made of Flesh
Sear Lamentations of DestructionTormented Rotten Death
War (SWE, Black Metal) We Are...Total WarCrucified Barbara Til Death Do Us Party
spoon_of_grimbo (4.5)

altec (3.5)
All in all this album is above average, and should only be bought as a collectors item. It has flash...

September 21st 2005

now there is the right picture, Enjoy the review!This Message Edited On 09.21.05

I like Trust :angry:

Dead_Trench
September 21st 2005

This review is a bit too short. It would be ridiculous to do a track by track but atleast a few would be good. The writing is good, you just need more of it.This Message Edited On 09.21.05

Med57
September 21st 2005

Yeah, it's well written, but could you possibly add a bit more about the music? If I read this not knowing anything about Megadeth, then I wouldn't really have any idea what this was like. A bit of editing would be appreciated, if you could please.

September 21st 2005

^^^ What he said. You should listen to him or he might yank the reveiw.

+ Trust is a great songThis Message Edited On 09.21.05

Priestmetal
September 21st 2005

I hate greatest hits albums. Anyway, your review lacked details but thats already been said. This Message Edited On 09.21.05

djcrush_89
September 21st 2005

Man the songs are good they are all good this guy doesnt know what hes talking about man the new line up is not that good the line up know didn't even record on the new album (the system has failed) There just there to play live and there is no more Megadeth cds coming out, but the piont is that all this songs are good,what a lame reciew you can tell hes not a fan.

:lol: djcrush 89 has been a member over a year and this is his first post :lol:

September 22nd 2005

I have added a bit more info about the bands past and added some info about a few of their most famous songs. Hope you like and please give any comments if this is bad. Enjoy!This Message Edited On 09.22.05

I'm Charming
October 5th 2005

I just got this cd, I love it.

"sweating bullets" "peace sells" "symphony of destruction"

"holy wars" "angry again" are my favs.

Dead_Trench
October 7th 2005

My favourites are Holy Wars, Peace Sells, Symphony of Destruction and the last six tracks.

I'm Charming
October 7th 2005

You need to add too the review, add some depth and about the MUSIC.

October 11th 2005

I have included some info about thier music otherwise you have to get some songs from the band and hear for yourself. This is the way I describe thier music but if some one has better info let me know and I can fix it.

December 10th 2005

nevermindThis Message Edited On 01.20.06

heavy metal kid
December 11th 2005

i know it is greatest hits and not the best of:, but i don't see why songs like Good Mourning/Black Friday, Tornado of Souls and My Last Words didn't made it to the list.

Well, at least the album is good.

Neoteric
December 17th 2005

Well, at least the album is good.
Yes, the first two should be on this but My Last Words? Wtf.

December 17th 2005

My Last Words kicks @ss especially at the end. To bad that Tornado of souls didn't make it to this compilation

May 13th 2006