Sky Eats Airplane
The Sound of Symmetry

2.0
poor

by Waior USER (114 Reviews)
April 11th, 2010 | 77 replies

Review Summary: An unfortunate brew of fantastic musicianship and impossibly bad execution.

Line-up changes can do murderous things to good bands. Countless bands struggle to find a compositional foothold before establishing a comfortable groove with their new bandmates - it’s an ubiquitous phenomenon that happens in the industry on a regular basis. Unfortunately, bands still insist on releasing albums during their “transition-new-line-up” phase. Metalcore quintet Sky Eats Airplane’s latest extended player, The Sound of Symmetry, aptly exemplifies said “compositional pubescence” - only one member remains from the band’s original lineup this time around and the results are painfully obvious. At only three songs long, The Sound of Symmetry is (to put it delicately) a complete mess.

That's not to say that the band has completely gone awry. The technicality that was so liberally displayed on the band’s self-titled album is still present, but in smaller doses. The spiraling synths and electronic elements are integrated better than ever - theoretically, Sky Eats Airplane’s formula should yield good results. The problem, however, is the lack of direction - the band has absolutely no grasp on the concept of ‘structure’ and instead favors bouncing around aimlessly in jerky synth breakdowns and polyrhythmic tech-freak outs. To make matters worse, new vocalist Bryan Zimmerman has absolutely no idea how to create a catchy melody. Sounding much like ex-Underoather Aaron Gillespie when singing clean and much like A Plea For Purging’s Andy Atkins when screaming, Zimmerman meanders around his supremely whiny vocal range without any direction on all three songs, squandering the band’s instrumental potential. Opener ‘The Contour’ is ripe with interesting, glitchy electronics, sweeping synths, extremely complex rhythms and guitar lines but all of the instrumental glory is completely smothered by the inept vocal work. The uncertain future of Sky Eats Airplane looks all the more bleak because of The Sound of Symmetry - the band’s inherent technicality has once again been dethroned by a lack of direction and poor vocals. As long as Bryan Zimmerman is piloting this metalcore airplane, it’s time to fasten your fastbelts - Sky Eats Airplane’s full length release this summer may have the band hurdling towards the tempest at 40,000 feet and we won’t be able to say we didn’t expect it. Bonne chance.

Thrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be NowhereNoah Gundersen Carry the Ghost
Hey Rosetta! Second SightThe Decemberists What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
Dan Mangan Club MedsAnberlin Lowborn
2.9
good

April 11th 2010

Quick write-up. I really want to like this band as they have some terrific ideas once and a while but this is probably the worst thing they've done ever.

atrink

Hey Pams back!

robertsona
April 11th 2010

in a way it's a little strange that, in the 2nd para, you call it a 'complete mess' but then go on to list the positives--i see the point is that youre trying to say theres a bunch of positives and then but wait these parts suck--i'd suggest a little transition between calling it 'a mess' and listing the positives. nothing too big though.

BOOOOOOOOOO

Digging: Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion

cvlts

gimmick.

April 11th 2010

Dantesfire, yes, but so talented beneath those three distinctly bad different vocalists... ugh.

robertsona, gotcha. I was thinking that when I wrote the review but thought it was ignorable. I fixed it up a bit, hopefully that works better!

Bloc, I actually felt a little bit bad after posting this review when I saw your sound-off. For this I apologize. The clean vocals need tenuity for goodness sakes... then again, you enjoy I, Omega, haha.

atrink, retrowaior

robertsona
April 11th 2010

i like it. always nice to see some reviews from you

April 11th 2010

Especially a review from a band I actually listen to ;)

April 11th 2010

I'm trying to get into the habit of reviewing more frequently again but I feel like I'm investing a lot into a dead-end. Oh,

well. I like writing still.

Psh, Bloc... wait, you're kind of right... need more wank, I guess.

klap

more waior!

processing request

April 11th 2010

It cant be THAT bad... downloading now. i fairly enjoy these blokes.

April 11th 2010

Keep in mind that you're much more lenient with these types of releases... you also enjoy The Syncope Threshold...

NOT FUNNY

Relinquished

needs more pam

[img]http://www.tasteofamerica.ch/images/Pam.jpg[/img]

I hate myself.

April 11th 2010

haha i dont enjoy TST as much as i used to

April 11th 2010

Okay pam. Listened to it, and this isn't bad so much as its completely average and unforgettable Solid 2.5 i guess... disappointed

cvlts

it ain't THAT bad.
just below average

April 11th 2010

Je veux un nouveau album