No Hawaii
Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
November 12th, 2009 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If given patience, Bruce Lee in Your Brain turns out to be quite the enjoyable listen.

No Hawaii started out in 2003 as an aggressive hardcore outfit. Within a little over a year they recorded six different demos at four different studios, according to the band, this is what shaped their sound, and what a shape their sound takes. At some points it is quiet and soothingly beautiful, at others it is full of so much anger and rage that your speakers feel as if they'll pop under the pressure. Personally I would classify them as a mix of post-rock, progressive rock, hardcore, and industrial.

The first song : 'Al Final Todos Poganos' represents this in it's fullest, starting out with so much emotion and eventually lingering it's way to a light little jam with Biggus' voice droning on hauntingly.
You can see influences such as Cult of Luna and Burst in their songs, through the random genre changing and vocals. The song eventually comes back to the heavy side and recaptures the listener. My first few listens to No Hawaii proved to be troubled at best, it takes some getting used to and quite the open mind to truly appreciate the talent they show during Bruce Lee in Your Brain.

The second song, Vessel, littered with so many effects that it's hard to differentiate what the guitarists: Smejks and Gonzo are playing and what their pedal's are. After the initial wave of 'What the hell was that"' that most listener's will no doubt encounter, the song levels out quite nicely and becomes pretty addictive to say the least. The last song, 'Isaul', begins with such a dirty sound, so much percussion as per bassist Erik's ability and Gustaf's drumming skills, that it's hard to tell who's playing what, but soon after, some clean vocals come in, which fit so well that the song is another instant classic to me. The lyrics in it are the deepest on the EP in my opinion. After a few minutes, all that noise is replaced with some fitting chords and effects which carry the song into it's static conclusion.

Bruce Lee in your Brain is a half hour long EP, which interests me as to the length of No Hawaii's debut, which is currently being recorded and tracked. The singing is always catchy, the guitar's and their effects always fit well, and the drums are always smack on time. The bass is audible, something I personally adore in the production of any album. The tone of the guitars is very electronic, you can tell a lot of work was put in to finding the right sound.

No Hawaii have released an excellent EP worthy of any fan of progressive rock or spastic hardcore's attention. If given patience, Bruce Lee in Your Brain turns out to be quite the enjoyable listen that you'll put on more than once.