Atreyu
Fractures in the Facade of Your....

by 94_Hours USER (4 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2005 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Atreyu is: (for this album anyway)
Alex Varkatzas – Vocals (screaming)
Dan Jacobs – Lead/Rhythm Guitar
Travis Miguel – Lead/Rhythm Guitar
Chris Thompson – Bass
Brandon Saller – Drums/Vocals (melodic)

Album overview:
This EP is Atreyu before they went main-stream and signed with Victory Records. I really like newer Atreyu, but this stuff is definitely better. It features some tracks which are on SNBK plus some older stuff. The recording is a bit more raw than that on SNBK and The Curse which I like (I found The Curse to be a bit over-produced.) Overall, I really enjoy the album.

I’ll start off with the vocals. Alex’s scream sounds fairly similar to their newer stuff, but Brandon’s voice is much different. I find his voice to be stronger on their newer stuff. The lyrics aren’t as good either, I found. They focus less on relationships and hate like their new stuff but overall I find the quality of the lyrics to be not as good.

The guitars, like pretty much all of Atreyu’s work, is based around power chords and not much else, especially here. It still seems to sound good though. I’ve always liked the original tone of the guitars in Atreyu.

The drums are still really good on this album. I’ve always been impressed by the drum work in this band. The beats are always in standard timing but I find his drumming to be very original sounding. The bass is very standard and special. Chris Thompson is not a good bassist, I was glad when they got rid of him and brought in Marc McKnight.

1. Living Each Day Like You’re Already Dead – 3.5/5
This is a fairly short song that was on SNBK. Features a fairly fast tempo, but the highlight is the breakdown. In my opinion, one of the greatest metalcore breakdowns of all time

2. Tulips Are Better – 4/5
A love/hate song. Good guitar work. The highlight of the song being the chorus. And to cap off the song there’s the line: ‘JUST WITHER AWAY!’

3. A Letter To Someone Like You – 5/5
Truly an amazing song. The heaviest song on the CD. Starts off with a great heavy chord progression, and then the screaming kicks in. The song remains heavy all the way through. Definitely my favourite song on the album.

4. Taking Back Every Word That I Said – 4/5
Intro starts with Alex singing ‘Taking Back Every Word That I Said’ and then many voices start chanting it with him. This is also a fairly heavy song. I find this and ‘Letter To Someone Like You,’(the only ones not one SNBK) to be the heaviest and best.
5. Someone’s Standing On My Chest – 4.5/5
A great song. Very original sounding. The breakdown in it is extremely heavy and is the highlight of the song.

Well, there it is, I hope everyone likes and finds it helpful. I encourage everyone who can stand to listen to Atreyu to listen to this if you haven’t already

2.8
good
Storm In A Teacup (2.5)

94_Hours
July 23rd 2005

sorry about the crappy review. I was rushing it when i got to the track-by-tracks.

204409
July 23rd 2005

I think the title sort of explains how ridiculous this EP must be. Atreyu has these exaggerated, melodramatic themes to their music. Frankly, when I listen to them I think the opposite because they don't induce some kind of crazy emotion in me.

NEDM
July 23rd 2005

Hey DFelon. From what I hear you don't know sh!t about sh!t.

Good review 94 Hours. Welcome back :thumb:This Message Edited On 07.23.05

94_Hours
July 23rd 2005

thanks a lot. I dont mean this review to show my love for atreyu, because I don't, i just dont hate them like most people on here. I want people listen to the REAL atreyu

a_flower_blooms_as_i_decay_101
July 24th 2005

Hey beyondtheblueprint i think that DFelon has a vaild point (dont shower me with abuse)but atreyu are very and i mean very over dramataic when it comes to the themes of there music much as the hole genre of "emo" and of cource "screamo"is.Im not saying that the hole genre is bad but they do all sound like a clone of the band befor them which does display unorignalty at the best of it and if atreyu is the best "emo"and "Screamo"has to offer than the hole grenre is ognna go down the drain and we will laugh at it in 10years time....

204409
July 24th 2005

Hey flower blooms, beyondtheblueprint is just sad I don't like his sophomoric reviews. He isn't actually going to present a legitimate contrary opinion.

But on the point, Atreyu isn't emo or screamo. They're a mix of pop and metalcore. If you're interested in hearing a "real" emo band that presents emotion in an honest, unpredictable, and brutal way, check out You and I or Indian Summer. I'm pretty sure they don't write songs about vampires or mascara or flowers.

Damrod
July 24th 2005

I have not heard this one, but all Atreyu I heard so far was not so good it stayed in my playlist for more than 5 minutes (if at all). When it comes to Metalcore-like music, I chose stuff like Killswitch Engage, Unearth and Heaven Shall Burn over this. Everyday.

And to support DFelon's side note: Atreyu = not real Emo/Screamo. Metalcore/Pop-Core suits the genre classification much better

drummerguy274
July 24th 2005

this album is ok. not their best at all.

Captain_HumpYourFace
August 21st 2005

Wow, I actually like Atreyu quite a bit. I can't argue with the melodrama at all though and it's probably their weakest point. The fact is that this album is garbage. I picked it up ages ago before The Curse dropped and thought it was awful. I actually don't mind some of their earlier work (Visions) but hearing underdeveloped versions of songs just isn't my thing. Every song on this album that's also on Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses is worse. I also hate Taking Back Every Word so that leaves this album with 1 song that I actually like.

Atreyu is for metalcore newbies these days anyway, I don't know why or how the hell they went mainstream but now every 15 year old wanting to be different is replacing Good Charlotte with Atreyu... shows are getting really annoying really fast.

Ace_of_Bass2112
August 21st 2005

emo-metal????

liked them a couple years back but now they just sit there collecting dust

Confessed2005
October 7th 2005

This album has some pretty good songs but later efforts are probably better in my opinion, especially Suicide Notes.

Digging: Pelican - Nighttime Stories

Cravinov13
October 25th 2005

Isn't emo-metal caleed screamo?

Storm In A Teacup

Horray for you! This Message Edited On 10.25.05

kolzig33189
October 25th 2005

bands like atreyu who have one guy that doesnt play an instrument and doesnt sing that just run around screaming really tick me off. it shows they have no musical ability and that they started doing it cuz the screamo is the "cool thing to do" right now

Confessed2005
November 6th 2005

Personally I like Atreyu, but they certainly aren't the best metalcore band out there. They have elements of Pop, Thrash (a little) and Emo rolled into a perfect package for kids who want a cheap thrill. The lyrics are highly preposterous at points and sometimes bordering on the line of ridiculous. Well the guitar work is simple but good. And the singing is okay. I prefer their LP's. They do have some cracking songs, like The Crimson and My Sanity On THe Funeral Pyre. You just have to listen to a lot of other tripe to appreciate their stuff. Choose Bullet For My Valentine over this band if you want a similar kinda mix of emo and metal. Plus the lyrics and singing is better. And so are the riffs and the solos. This Message Edited On 11.06.05

Apathy
November 6th 2005

I hate Atreyu with a fiery passion. :angry::evil::mad:

Get Low
July 29th 2018

Yo, what's up with the album title on here? Lol, there must have been a character limit back in the day when this was added to the database.

SteakByrnes

you are the first comment in nearly 13 years

Digging: Imminence - Turn The Light On

Get Low
July 29th 2018

lmfao this EP is atrocious so I'm not surprised.

Edit: Actually I just jammed this for the first time in like ten years and it isn't nearly bad as I remember.