dredg
Orph

by denboy USER (1 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

This is my first review.. I probably suck at this, but I thought this E.P would be nice to have a review of (reason for this, is in the end of this thread).

This is a short E.P Dredg made before they released their amazing debut album Leitmotif.

The sound of it isn't as well defined as on their albums. There's some nu-metal sounding parts that sound nothing like anything they've done after this. It's very experimental, and definately shows the amazing talent this band has.

Track by Track:
Is not everything (05:56):
This starts out with a very distinct rythm.. And a flanged guitar riff.. This is very catchy. Distortion kicks in.. Ugh, this is a -bit- too nu-metally for my liking, not by much, just a tad. And now the singing!.. What's this?.. Screaming? And good screaming!.. I was very suprised by this, I had no idea their singer had a side like this to him. Sounds very good! A breakdown, and the song completely changes pace, becoming more slow and melodic, giving a great hint at what their debut album would sound like. The song climaxes in a heavy part with alot of screaming. And the song rounds off, excellent! 4/5

Orph (1:41)
This is.. Weird, and experimental, and unlike anything I've heard before. Dredg at it's best. It's an instrumental track (except for some breathing, and some very low whispered words). With a mandolin like guitar, and instead of drums, there's a xylophone(? I think) playing the melody of the song. Weird and great. 5/5

Kayasuma (4:11)
This again starts out very heavy. And some great screaming. Very straightforward, minus the drums wich are amazing. Other than the guitar part being alot more distorted, and the screaming, this song is very much just... Dredg. I can't describe it any other way. A definate 5/5.

Overall : 5/5 (meh, like I could ever give anything dredg has released less than 5 out of 5.. hehe)
Even though it's only 3 tracks long. It's still good.
And here's the best part.. You can get it.. Right here ---> [url]http://www.psych0tic.net/dredg/Orph%20EP/[/url]
(oh and for live recordings of some of their new material, go here --> [url]http://www.psych0tic.net/dredg/[/url]

3.1
good
Greggers (3)

Happymeal
November 7th 2004

:eek: I didn't know Dredg had other stuff. I'll check this out. Thanks man:thumb:

Dancin' Man
November 7th 2004

ooooohohhhh

It's like the Linkin Park demo that no one knows about...but probably better.

FlawedPerfection
July 12th 2005

I found this, and it is truly amazing. If you listen to the progression of Dredg, they started off an amazing band, but then they evolved to something more.

Dr. Jake Destructo
July 24th 2005

I listened to this cd after I bought Catch Without Arms. It was quite the shock, going from their newer poppy stuff to Orph. :p It was still good though, just not long enough to get many stars from me. 3.5/5

Nox
August 29th 2005

i found this album called Industry Orph which im sure is dredg, but i can't find any info about it anywhere. it's a full cd with 18 tracks.

starting already as a dredg fan, i found this harder stuff amazing. i guess it's unreleased? it's definately not as "refined" as their newer albums, but being so raw it totaly kicks many asses.

it has Orph and Kayasuma on it and one track is untitled (might be Is Not Everything?).

p.s. i also saw someone who had an album supposedly by dredg called Coquette but he didn't let me listen to it =/This Message Edited On 08.29.05

any14doomsday
October 10th 2005

I think coquette was the origional title for catch without arms, thats what it was leaked onto the internet as

Mirror.Circuit
February 11th 2006

i can't find this anywhere!
ahhhh.
if somebody would send this to me or something,email me.
xsocalpunkx@yahoo.com

SaladTripp
February 14th 2006

How is the screaming a surprise for you? It's just like at the beginning of Penguins in the Desert... he kinda screams there too. But anyways, this was a good review...

pizzapie88
July 13th 2007

Wow. I just listened to this and wasn't expecting it at all.

theendcomplete
December 9th 2007

This is when Dredg used to play at Tower Records, I remember is not everything

TheXRatedDodo
July 28th 2008

This EP kicks all kinds of ass.

I've got such a soft spot for this.

It's nu-metal with bongos, but goddamn, that's some good fucking nu-metal with bongos.

This and Leitmotif ar the only two releases of theires where I really like Gavin's vocals. Mainly because his harsher stuff is generally intense.

Lelle
July 28th 2009

I just found this, I really dig it

Lelle
June 25th 2010

This need more exposure to fans of the band. So fcking good

AnotherBrick
June 25th 2010

meeehhhhhh.....you guys need to check out Conscious EP...its funny

Insurrection
October 29th 2012

good stuff

Sabrutin
November 25th 2016

I always forget how much this rules for what it is