Old 05-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
albert_bass

Top 75 Pop-Punk Albums - The Definitive list

Here we have it! After about a month of negotiations, nominations, polls, reviews and so on here it is to stay the definitive list of the Top 75 pop-punk albums ever (until now). There:

1. Green Day – Dookie
Exploding onto the mainstream in 1994, Green Day, along with their album Dookie, bought pop-punk to the masses. With a great blend of pop sensibilities, mixed with their punk rock roots, Dookie spawned hits such as When I Come Around, Longview, and of course, the classic Basket Case. The energy levels and quality of songwriting are so high; no wonder this album is often regarded as a classic of the genre.

2. Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves

This album, released in 1995, made rancid to one of the most well know punk bands. Ruby Soho was a major mtv and radio hit, Maxwell Murder is also known for Matt Freeman's bass solo, and Time Bomb and Roots Radicals are hits of their own. On this album rancid tried to do something they never had done before: ska (time bomb, daly city train, old friend). Featuring Lars frederiksen's outstaning vocals on songs like Roots Radicals and The War's End, this album is filled with classic tracks and great lyrics such as Journey To The End Of The East Bay (about Operation Ivy). A great album featuring alot of Rancid's classics on it.

3. Blink-182 – Cheshire Cat
Released in 1994, the success of this album was a far cry from the monster hits such as Dookie and Smash. However, many consider this, along with Dude Ranch, to be Blink-182 at their best. Not yet the darlings of MTV and mainstream radio, they produced an album a lot closer to the original pop-punk blueprint set out by The Ramones and The Descendents. Mark Hoppus would later be criticized a great deal for his level of bass playing, but on the opening track, Carousel, he proves he can do it. Still displaying the humour that they would become well known for (on tracks such as Does My Breath Smell), this CD is really good, all too often in the shadow of Blink’s more mainstream hits.

4. NOFX - Punk In Drublic

Released in 1994 Nofx's breakthrough album. Before this Nofx weren't really showing their full potential but this album stopped that, with 17 songs, there is a lot to listen to, and there is barely a bad moment in it all.
From the opening chords to Linoleum to the ending jokes of the band, this is typical NOFX.
They have never sounded so good, the album is full of catchy choruses, fast drumming, agressive singing and poppy hooks. The lyrics are controversial, funny and catchy.
It has everything, Happy songs - 'Jeff wears Birkenstocks', 'Fleas' .Darker songs - 'Lori Meyers', 'Dying Degree'. Joke songs - 'My heart is yearning' and Ska songs - 'Reeko'. Standout tracks - Linloeum, Lori Meyers, The Brews, Dying Degree, Reeko and Lori Meyers.

It's Fast, It's Furious, Its NOFX.

5. The Vandals - Hitler Bad, Vandals Good
This album has some of the greatest songs ever by this band. I don’t really know how to classify it. It has some pop-punk elements and some punk elements, but what really matters is that it’s a great album. These guys know how to do very good. The sound is perfect, not too hard and not too soft, if you know what I mean, that’s in part why I don’t know how to classify it. Anyway, this album has everything you can ask. Catchy melodies in the vocals, some funny parts, nice and funny lyrics, cool guitar parts, great bass lines, and good drumming as well. I think it’s the best album by this classic punk band. Recommended songs: People that are going to hell, I’ve got an ape drape, Euro-barge.

6. Alkaline Trio – From Here To Infirmary
Hailing from Chicago, this is the Trios third album, and what a great one it is, no weak tracks and features some of the best songs Alkaline Trio have ever done. The songs are full of emotion, powerful guitaring, precise drumming and great bass, the songs are all uniquely different and in my opinion and many others it is the best of their albums. It features the classic 'Private Eye' which kicks off ther album suberbly and the album ends with the equally fantastic 'Crawl'. The melodies are as sweet as ever, and both singers have done a superb job, the best singing on any of their albums, the songs are dark, emotional and down right amazing. Stand out tracks - 'Private Eye', 'Another Innocent Girl', 'Take lots with Alcohol' and 'Crawl'

7. The Ramones - The Ramones
The album many say started punk, along with The Clash's self-titled and Sex Pistols' Nevermind the Bollocks. This album establishes the fast and fun sound of punk rock. The album focuses on the mind of a bored teenager, one who is obsessed with horror movies and hanging out with their friends. Songs like 53rd and 3rd describes what the streets of New York were about for Dee Dee. The album mixes love songs like I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend and Listen to My Heart with songs about sniffing glue and covers of old classics like Let's Dance. This truly is a classic album and influenced what punk rock is about today.

8. Blink-182 – Enema of the State
Taking their cue from band such as Green Day and The Offspring, Blink-182 too broke the mainstream with their 1999 hit, Enema of the State. With carefree, immature lyrics, and an ultra poppy sound, some may question the importance of this CD. However, it also bought a younger generation to the attention, of, at least some form of Pop-Punk. A truckload of imitators such as Good Charlotte and Simple Plan would try and copy the spirit of this album, but as they say, the original is always the best.

9. NOFX - So Long And Thanks For The Shoes
Continuing the trend of brilliant album titles, this is a fast paced, action packed album from LA’s finest, with each song hovering around the two minute mark. My second favourite album of all time sees a fair few ska tracks breaking through, and what blinders they are, showing NOFX is equally adept at playing whatever comes to their minds. It’s My Job To Keep Punk Rock Elite is a biting hard-hitter, highlighting the mediocrity that began filling the genre, at a time where all you had to do to be punk was to have a tattoo and a guitar. Hilarious throughout, this record contains some excellent writing, from the bass in The Desperation’s Gone, to the lyrics of All Outta Angst, it’s musically tight (especially for an album where the music for all but three tracks was recorded on the first take!). The first punk CD I owned is a must own for anyone who knows their stuff.

Recommended songs: It’s My Job To Keep Punk Rock Elite, Murder The Government, 180 Degrees, All Outta Angst, The Desperation’s Gone, Quart In Session.

10. NOFX - White Trash, Two Heebs And A Bean.
Probably my favourite record of all time. Quite simply this record contains some of the greatest pop punk songs ever written. This record is packed full of feeling throughout and crackers like You’re Bleeding and She’s Gone show that Fat Mike can put more than humour into his song writing. However NOFX will never be remembered for their love songs, and songs about lesbians are never far away. Liza And Louise is a masterpiece (excellent guitar solo in the intro and genius lyrics), as is Stickin In My Eye and the anthem Bob. Please Play This Song On The Radio is a master stroke, a sarcastic prank on the commercial music industry, and is almost the theme tunes to NOFX’s continuing fight against their popularity and refusal to become another money spinner for pop moguls. Genius.

Recommended songs: Stickin In My Eye, Bob, Liza And Louise, Please Play This Song On The Radio, I Wanna Be Your Baby, She’s Gone.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
albert_bass

11. Green Day - American Idiot
Coming back in 2004, Green Day returned with their most mainstream album to date, American Idiot. For some reason it became extremely popular, not just with pop-punk fans, but with fans of pretty much any popular genre of music. The lead single, American Idiot sounds nothing like the rest of the album, as the majority of tracks feature 'bigger' guitars and have a grander feel to them. Boulevard of Broken Dreams was ok at first, but when EVERY music channel started playing it at the same time it quickly wore thing and became boring. The highlights are Jesus of Suburbia, St. Jimmi and Whatsername. That being said, the album is pretty average, and probably the worst out of all the albums released after Dookie. I mean, Dookie was brilliant, Insomniac showed a less imediate style to songwriting, Nimrod was like their most 'punky' effort, and Warning was poppy, but without having lame songs like Boulevard, Macy's Day Parade over BOBD anyday. Not that this album is bad, just extremely average, and it still confuses me as to how this album is more succesful than Insomniac, Nimrod or Warning....

12. Green Day- Nimrod
No longer new to the world of Punk Rock, the Green Day boys had already been the fun new guys (Dookie) and gone on to become more mature with the weight of fame pressing down on them (Insomniac). Now it was time for them to become serious musicians. From the heavy thrash Take Back, to the Famed Acoustic Good Riddance (used for every sad moment in TV history), Nimrod shows the true Diversity of this band, and shows influences from music outside Punk Rock. The album contains much experimentation (On Redundant, Mike Dirnt plays his bass in cello style, and uses Jazz timing in Hitchin’ a Ride), and showed the world that they weren’t Pop-Punk boys anymore, and that they could play.

13. Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counterculture
Rise Against's second full-length studio album, Revolutions Per Minute, was truly a remarkable album and a landmark for the genre of melodic hardcore. Composing a follow up album to such a genre-defining album was no easy task. But according to many fans, Siren Song of the Counterculture was able to match it's predecessor. From the heavy hardcore in "State of the Union" to the acoustic melody in "Swing Life Away", Rise Against once again set the bar for melodic hardcore to come.

14. Brand New - Deja Entendu
Consisting of the wonderfully talented foursome made up of Jesse Lacey, Vinnie Accardi, Brian Lane and Garrett Tierney, Brand New took on the world in 2003 when they released their melodic album Deja Entendu. 11 songs (1 haunting introduction and 10 poetic songs) ranging from the jazz-feel of "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades", the acoustic ballad of "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" and the chilling tale of a one-night stand that is "Jaws Theme Swimming", this album is packed with some of the best written tunes to grace the pop-punk scene. Of course, lyrics aren't the only thing that set this album off. This record has a very mellow feel to it, some very jazz-influenced riffs and basslines, some faster but still soothing beats. This is one of the best sophomore albums to grace the pop-punk scene as far as I'm concerned, and when compared to the faster and more tongue-in-cheek-driven Your Favourite Weapon, you can certainly see that Brand New are growing up. And they have proved that with this wonderful record.

15. The Undertones - The Undertones
The Undertones self-titled debut album is 100% pure pop-punk. Ignoring the sectarian troubles that surrounded them they instead focused on a subject that was very close to their hearts: girls. A vast majority of the 23 songs on this album (none of which exceed 3 minutes) deal with the bands teenage loves and lusts which are perfectly articulated by
Feargal Sharkey's distinctive lead vocals which fit perfectly over the simple pop-punk music and airy background vocals, The Undertones created a classic album featuring many classic songs such as Here Comes The Summer, Jimmy Jimmy and the eternal Teenage Kicks. This album proved that teenage dreams really are hard to beat.

16. Thrice – The Artist In The Ambulance
The fierce mix of hardcore and pop punk is clearly shown in the 2003 release “The Artist in the Ambulance”. Thrice shows their poppier side in the songs ‘Clots and Black Holes’, ‘The Artist in the Ambulance’, and ‘The Melting Point of Wax’, but returns to their hardcore roots in songs like ‘Cold Cash and Colder Hearts’, ‘Paper Tigers’, and ‘The Abolition of Man’. From the intense guitars to the insane screams, this is truly one of the greatest albums in recent memory.

17. AFI - Sing the Sorrow
AFI's 2003 release was a drastic change in sound from their previous releases. Poppier, darker, and fewer hardcore influences led to many AFI fans accusing the band of selling out. Radio-friendly singles such as "The Leaving Song Pt.II" and "Silver and Cold" left many fans feeling betrayed by the band. However, this release also thrust the band into the mainstream and appealed to many new fans due to its poppier sounds. Regardless of whether or not the band sold out, or simply changed sounds, the great quality of this album is noticeable from the album opener Miseria Cantare. Building up energy gradually, this track kicks the album into gear and winds down with ...But Home
is Nowhere and the hidden track, This Time Imperfect, blending together so well. Dancing Through Sunday has one of the best guitar solos to be found on a mainstream album in awhile. Loved by many, and hated by many, this album does prove the band's flexibility and leaves them many options to take on their follow-up release.

18. Bad Religion - Process of Belief
Coming late in the band's prestigious career, Bad Religion's Process of Belief was a record that changed a lot of minds about the band. The album does not shy away from their fast paced catchy punk of the past. Nor does it shy away from taking a step in the new direction of melodic sounds characteristic of their later work. From the hard hitting "Supersonic" to the mellow "Sorrow", The Process of Belief is truly a diverse record. The vocal melodies, the catchy guitar hooks, and the genious lyrics are all here. This can be seen as another successful Bad Religion release. But that is an understatement. The band showed with this record that their roots were still there even when experimenting with new sounds.

19. My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love

20. The Adicts - Songs of Praise
The band that made pop-punk acceptable to street-punks and kickstarted clockwork-punk with their distinctive image recorded and mixed their classic debut album in just 24 hours. One of the catchiest albums ever made, their irreverent lyrics and sing-a-long tunes gained them many fans. With love songs about psycho uber-christian Mary Whitehouse (an early version of Tipper Gore for all you American's) and the brilliant Viva La Revolution, The Adicts remain one of the defining bands of the period.

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-04-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
albert_bass

21. The Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation
Quite simply, this is a masterpiece. You could buy this as the shops open in the morning and know every single word by lunch. Packed to the brim with tireless anthems (True Believers, Manthem, That Song), it epitomises the Souls’ spirit and dedication to fun that have been present in their music since they began 15 years ago. Whether singing about girls or bikes (break up song, streetlight serenade to no one), or perhaps about making the lives for themselves they’d dreamt of since high school (better life), the bouncing souls are playing to have fun. Every track on this album is a master class in pop punk, buy it.

Recommended tracks: That Song, Private Radio, True Believers, Better Life, Manthem, Gone.

22. Box Car Racer - Box Car Racer
Taking a break from pop-punk megastars Blink-182, Tom Delonge wrote a set of more 'serious', songs that he did not think would fit in with the Blink. He deals with familiar issues such as love and loss, but in a way you have never heard him deal with them before. Although the lyrics aren't the best ever, they still offer more insight than his lyrical performances in his main band. Enlisting Blink band member Travis on drums, you just know the beats are gonna be good, and with special guest vocal from Tim Armstrong from Rancid and Blink bassist/vocalsit Mark Hoppus, the album offers quite a bit of variation. The range of songs on the album is also quite impressive, from the acoustic outgoing's of There Is to the storming anthem 'My First Punk Song'. The highlight for me, however, is the self explanatory 'Letters To God' Overall, a brilliant album that could be described as a sonic predocessor to Blink's final album.

23. Bad Religion - Stranger than fiction
Released in 1994, this is their first album on a major label, but don't let this make you think that this will be a dissapointment.

This is punk rock at it's best. Gaffins singing is amazing, roaring and singing with such power and emotion. The lyrics are genius as ever. There is not a boring moment in the whole album. From the catchy, poppy 'Stranger than fiction', the slower, but still great song 'Slumber', the intense harmonies of 'The Handshake', to the powerhouse of a song 'Inner Logic' this album never gives up. The background vocals are spot on as usual. Also '21st century digital boy' is a fine remake of the 'Against the grain' masterpiece. This is a great album, I recommend it to anyone who likes punk/pop punk.

Standout tracks - 'Marked', 'Infected', 'Stranger than fiction', 'The handshake' and 'Inner Logic'

24. The Queers - Grow Up
Pop-punk bands are sometimes described as "bubblegum-punk" and anyone seeking a definition of this term should look no further than Grow Up by The Queers. The first album The Queers recorded wasn't given a proper release for 3 years due to financial difficulties but it was worth the wait. Virtually every song features catchy melodies and
simple riffs that fit the music perfectly. The lyrics are puerile on songs like Boobarella and Love Love Love but they just add to the adolescent charm of this album. A must for any pop-punk fans, this album proved The Queers to be the true heirs to The Ramones pop-punk legacy.

25. Thursday - Full Collapse
Considered one of, if not the best, Post-Hardcore releases, this sophomore release was instrumental in thrusting this band into the mainstream spotlight. Fading in with A0001, this album delivers an onslaught of emotion and energy until it fades out with I1100. Soft vocals and gentle guitar mix with emotional screams and distorted
guitar riffs to give every song lots of variety and a full sound. Standout tracks like Cross out the Eyes and Autobiography of a Nation beautifully incorporate the two aspects of the band's music and gracefully float between the two multiple times within the song. The real power in this band is in the lyrics and their delivery. Meaningful lyrics punctuated by the emotion in the vocals make this a work that won't lose meaning over time like so many other bands do.

26. Offspring - Smash

27. Groovie Ghoulies - Fun In The Dark
The Groovie Ghoulies' fifth album, Fun In The Dark appeared 10 years after their debut and proved that not all bands get worse with time. This album is filled with catchy, horror-themed pop-punk tunes. The lyrics are firmly tongue-in-cheek throughout with songs like (She's Got A) Brain-Scrambling Device and Outbreak! which opens with the
immortal line "Excuse me, but have you seen my monkey?" In a change of pace, the band also covers the New York Dolls Lonely Planet Boy which provides a welcome break from the fast-paced fun of the rest of the album. Fun In The Dark shows a band on top of their game and should have a place in any pop-punk record collection.

28. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?
Sum 41 appeared to be your average pop-punk band. When All Killer, No Filler was released in 2001, they were singing songs about having fun with girls, spending time with your friends and, well, having fun with girls. But in 2003, they grew up. Does This Look Infected was released, and certainly proved this statement. Now the infectious guitar riffs were darker, a little more fast-paced and accompanied by some chilling lyrics. In my opinion, this is one of the best pop-punk albums ever. Dave makes his over-distorted guitar sound so insane on songs like "The Hell Song", "Mr. Amsterdam" and "Hooch", and Deryck's vocals sound so raw over the top of them. No matter how much Sum 41 think they have outdone themselves with new release Chuck, this record will always be their pinnacle in my eyes. The riffs are hastey and very metal-influenced without leaving their pop-punk style they have grown into, the drummings is just as impressive, not wasting one second, and the vocals and lyrics fit so well with this harder music.

29. The Used - S/T
The used self titled album ,released in June 2002, truly shows modern day punk
at its best. Bert, Vocalist/Lyricist, is a truly perfect rock frontman, having
to overcome homelsessness and substance abuse, he's the perfect product for
young, teenage angst lyrics. There first single "taste of ink" is a perfect
example of his hardships. The album also held many other classics such as
"buried Myself Alive" a song about trying to shut yourself out from your
problems. The used also show there very emotional side on this album with the
hit "Blue and Yellow" a slow rock ballad-like piano/acoustic guitar intro, then
leading into an almost balad anthem like chorus . This album is truly a punk
marvel that rock fans will cherish for years to come.

30. AFI – Art Of Drowning
This is my favorite album from this band and it's probably because it’s the first that I could entirely listen. Starts with an intro to the album, and right after it we have the first really good song: The Lost Souls, that starts with a simple but catchy chords bass line and a tiny guitar riff a la Jade Pudget that directly goes to Davey’s mid-singing and mid-screaming style. A great song, followed by an even greater one: The Nephilim. Then when you think this can’t be better they surprise you with a masterpiece like Ever and a day, slow and full of feeling but not boring: great. You can sense how this album will be by this 3 first songs, some songs are good, some others are great and then you have some surprisingly awesome slow songs. I have to mention Sacrifice theory, where Hunter plays maybe his best bass line ever. I have to say some songs are not as good as the others because sometimes they get repetitive and don’t have the intense feeling of the greater ones but still they’re not bad songs. The album ends with one of the slow songs with a surprise at the end: Morningstar which starts slow and ends with a very nice and fast outro. There’s also a secret track called battled that’s basically an old style AFI song.

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-07-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
albert_bass

31. Rise Against - Revolutions per minute
This 2003 release from Chicago Melodic Hardcore band Rise Against spanned many different sounds within the punk spectrum from the more hardcore such as "Dead Ringer" and "To the Core" to the more catchy melodys like songs "Like the Angel" and "Heaven Knows" and even a cover of Journey's "Anyway You Want It". A very solid album from a great band.

32. Blink 182 - Dude Ranch
This was Blink 182's last album on an independent record label, and what an album it is.The record before (Cheshire Cat), was great, but the band were still developing, and by the time this album came out Blink 182 had fully developed as a band. It boasts some of Blink 182's best material, and is without a doubt one of the greatest pop-punk albums ever. Arguabley Blink 182's biggest hit and certainly the song which helped them into the mainstream, Dammit features on the record and it is an amazing song, not many people can say they don't like it. Dude Ranch has fast songs (Dammit), slower songs (Untitled), emotional songs (I'm sorry) and stupid songs (Dick Lips). The humour is stil there, examples are in songs such as 'emo', which is taking the mick out of emo and 'Dick Lips'. Tom and Marks singing is top-notch and Scotts drumming is fast and furious.
Standout tracks = Untitled, Dammit, I'm sorry, Dick Lips and Voyeur.

33. Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon
The first release by Brand New, this album opens with a quick snare roll and then is right into the album, with The Shower Scene. Immediately following is another of this album's singles and strong points, Jude Law and a Semester Abroad. The characteristic screaming/singing duality this band uses, as well as the harmony when both are singing, is one of the band's strongest points. Another great strength of this band are the lyrics. That was what propelled this album beyond a typical pop-punk release, though it also earned them the "emo" label by many people because of the topics songs such as Mix Tape and Seventy Times Seven deal with. Though most songs are very typical pop punk musically, the more acoustically based Mix Tape and Soco Amaretto Lime give insight as to the blend their next release Deja Entendu would use to great effect.

34. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
This record has been named one of the best "emo" records of our time, and rightfully so too. Adam Lazarra and co. have created a 10-track opera played through your speakers. The album I'm speaking of is Tell All Your Friends. You can imagine Victory Record's delight when they received and released this, knowing that the fantastically made songs would find fans so soon. The album tells a story of a girl who cheats on a boy, and the boy eventually leaves. A simple idea, but told oh so beautifully and at the same time so well written by Taking Back Sunday. You have the memorable classics like "Cute Without The 'E' (Cut From The Team" and "You're So Last Summer", the angst-ridden "There's No 'I' In Team" and the raw pop-punk feel of "Timberwolves At New Jersey". This group of five have created the perfect feel-good album to listen to and smile to, to love and enjoy time and time again.

35. Coheed And Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade

36. Finch - What it is to burn
Self proclaimed rock band with emo and punk influences, this 2002 debut album incorporated poppy vocals and hooks with more brutal screams and beats. Though some songs like Three Simple Words and Letters to You are strong pop-punk pieces, while songs like Project Mayhem delve into harder styles and are much more similar to one of the band's biggest influences, the Deftones. Popular on the pop-punk scene, this CD helped revolutionize the sound of pop-punk at the time, though more bands have capitalized on this style now. One aspect few other bands incorporate, however, is the ambiance which this CD uses a few times, holding out and ending longer like in New Beginning, or What it is to burn. Capitalizing on an extenuation of the song longer
than the average pop-punk band does.

37. AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset
The guitar fades in and the drums crash, the album begins. This is just the intro to the album. But just beyond this description of the first part of the intro lies symbolism for not only this band, but for the future of punk after this album's release. Originally pictured as a one-dimensional hardcore band, AFI's Black Sails In The Sunset catapulted the band into recognition for their signature sound. From the hard, yet still melodic songs like "Midnight Sun", to their straight-forward hardcore songs like "Porphyria Cutania Tarda", to their more somber and brilliant material such as "Clove Smoke Catharsis", Black Sails In The Sunset is a monument in hardcore and a precursor to the present-day incarnation of melodic hardcore.

38. My Chemical Romance – Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Breaking out of the underground with their newest release, My Chemical Romance showcase awesome energy, and brilliant songs. Similar to the other bands other the new ‘emo’ trend, but with a darker edge, My Chemical Romance are a melting pot of a whole bunch of different influences, and the result is something different, while still staying grounded in the pop-punk genre. Definitely recommended for a variation on the faux-emo trend growing rapidly.

39. Offspring - Ixnay on the hombre

40. Descendents - Milo Goes to College
The album that helped set the blueprint for the pop-punk genre. The Descendent created a furiously fast album featuring lyrics that mattered to them and fronted by the titular Milo, this album made simple lyrics mean something while retaining a stupid sense of humour. Songs like Parents, Suburban Home and I'm Not A Punk really connected with it's teenage audience who felt confused in a modern America. This album is undoubtedly a classic and essential for anyone who listens to pop-punk.

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-04-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
albert_bass

41. Descendents - Everything Sucks
Perhaps the greatest moment in scientific history was when Milo decided to take a break from studying and record this album. Many have hailed this record as one of the greatest of all time of any genre, and it is fitting that the founders of pop punk wrote it. It rages along through 15 tracks at break neck speed (only one song over 2:30!), discussing any topic that crosses the bands’ mind, from love to losing your bollocks, from being stuck in a dead end job to listening to your favourite records. This release epitomises the Descendents’ aptitude for silliness and ‘fart’ humour and their tradition of hear felt love songs. A must own.

Recommended tracks: I’m The One, When I Get Old, Doghouse, She Loves Me, We, Thank You.

42. The Adicts - Sound Of Music
The second album from clockwork pop-punkers The Adicts may not have their most famous tunes but it is their best album. Keeping the catchy melodies and fast-paced music from their debut Songs Of Praise, The Adicts kept up the pace and even improved on their debut classic. Key songs include Chinese Takeaway, Joker In The Pack and My Baby Got Run Over By A Steamroller. This is a must-have album.

43. The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It

44. The Empire Strikes First.
Formed in 1980 the band have been going for 25 years an accomplishment in itself, but most bands wouldn't be able to stay as good as they were all the way through their career. Bad Religion have. The Empire Strikes First was released in 2004, and it's excellent. The lyrics are as superb as ever and have some more political songs this time round. The songs are so catchy, you will be singing them for weeks. The Guitar work is amazing, as expected, especially in 'Let them eat war'. The harmonies are as strong as ever, especially notable in the excellent 'Sinister Rouge' and 'Gods Love'. Some of Bad Religions best work is in this album. The songwriting is what makes this album stand out, it really is excellent.
A joy to listen to.
Standout tracks - Sinister Rouge, Gods Love, Los Angeles Is Burning and Beyond Electric Dreams.

45. The Epoxies – The Epoxies
The Epoxies debut album comes in at well under 30 minutes but it still packs a punch. Combining 80s New Wave Synth-Pop with pure Punk to create a truly unique pop-punk album and one of the best of the last few years. As much as influenced by Devo and Blondie as they are by bands like NOFX and Bad Religion, The Epoxies songs are full of catchy melodies and manic energy. From the blast of synth that introduces the first song, Need More Time til the fade-out at the end of Please Please, this album will keep you gripped from start to finish with songs such Stop Looking At Me, Bathroom Stall and Cross My Heart.

46. Sum 41 – All Killer No Filler
Sum 41 are somewhat atypical among the more famous, MTV friendly pop-punk bands, due to their larger appeal to a broader audience. This album was their second release, and the one that propelled them to international popularity, on the back of smash singles such as "Fat Lip", "In Too Deep" and "Motivation". Although undoubtedly a pop-punk album, there are hints of more metal influences, most obviously on the opening and closing songs which pay tribute to Iron Maiden, and the band's sound would later change somewhat to reflect the music that they grew up listening to. For any fan of more mainstream pop punk though, this album pretty much sums up the years immediately after 2000 when pop punk bands seemed to be everywhere, and this album is definitely one to listen to. Although Deryck Whibley's vocals have come in for criticism he ably shares the singing duties with other band members, resulting in a more diverse sound, over hugely catchy guitar riffs. For many people hearing this album will take them back to 2001, and that's definitely the case for me.

47. The Bouncing Souls- S/T
Their Epitaph debut could not have gone much better! An upbeat album, packed with so many great tracks it’s hard not to be a fan of this fantastic band. Cracked is an incredible album opener so fast it fills you with energy. Drums pound throughout, and the Souls unique sound with bass playing as loud as the guitar, supported by wonderful, tuneful backing vocals make this band the definition of fun. East Side Mags, Say Anything (one of the greatest songs ever), East Coast F’uck You! and Kate Is Great show the souls in a way few other bands have the ability to come across as. The album that set them up for greatness!

Recommended songs: Cracked, Say Anything, Kate Is Great, East Side Mags, The Toilet Song, East Coast F’uck You.

48. Screeching weasel - boogada boogada boogada
This album, released in 1988, is a lot faster than screeching weasel other releases. This band clearly follows the footsteps of the ramones, the queers, the descendents etc... by introducing melody in their fast and agressive music. It starts of perfectly with dingbat, then follows up with another standout track: love. Other stand out tracks would be: my right,hey suburbia, supermarket fantasy, i hate led Zeppelin.
Although most CDs with 26 songs on it would mostly be filler, this album is very solid. I reccomend it to people getting into screeching weasel. Also show it to your friends who think pop punk sucks.

49. The Offspring – Americana
Probably my first punk album and still one of my favorites. That's the review.

I think with that 1st sentence you can sense that this album has something special for me. It's probably too poppy for some people but it's in that thin line between too poppy songs and great songs. Starts with a brief intro saying "Welcome" to the album and I think the intro+1st song is one of the best album starts I've ever heard. It's so simple but so great and that first song: "Have you ever" is one of the best tracks on that album. Why is this album so good? Originality, catchyness, energy, variety, and good songs. This album is full of classics like the mentioned Have You Ever, Americana, The kids aren't all right, The End Of The Line, Why Don't You Get A Job and it's so good because those songs are completely different one from another and all are great. At the end of the album then you have a song that not everyone will be able to enjoy but I think it's a masterpiece: Pay The Man. Starts with only guitars with some morish riffs with a slow build up... And then after about 5 minutes it suddenly breaks into a magnificent guitar riff and becomes a completely different song. So this album is great from the beginning to the end. The worst song is Pretty Fly but you can't deny that it's a catchy tune. On a side note Walla Walla was originally going to be released by The Vandals but it seems they didn't want it.

50. Reel Big Fish - Why Do They Rock So Hard?

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-04-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
albert_bass

51. Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Coheed and Cambria's most popular release opens with a phone ringing. Soon after the opening track "begins" with a riff off their previous album, Second Stage Turbine Engine. The next track is the title track, and by far and large the strong point of the album. This album is a huge step up from the previous one and much more technical, in addition the songs are put together much better and flow very well as an album. The Velorium Camper is the album's three part piece and another highlight of the album. Every song has tons of depth and may be a bit off putting to the average listener, though progressive music fans eat it up. Though Claudio's voice is unappealing to many, many people also love it. This album is suppossed to be the third album in a four part series, though only the second and third parts are released as full LPs. The fourth is the next in queue. Coheed and Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Engine.

52. Less Than Jake- Losing Streak
Skanking it's way onto the scene, Less Than Jake's Losing Streak is probably more close to their ska-punk roots than later efforts such as Boarders and Boundaries and Anthem. With classics such as Automatic, Krazy Glue and Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts, this is a brilliant record, with fun, bouncy bass lines and more horns than in later albums. Dealing with subjects close to themselves, such as girls, the ska scene and it's detractors, and just general life experiences, LTJ do away with the sometimes political roots of original ska. However, with great, fun songs, this sure is the soundtrack to the (dance) revolution .

53. Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers
Doing away with any of thier ska influence, Pennybridge Pinoeers is 14 tracks of almost pure pop-punk. The Tony Hawks featured No Cigar, brilliant Hellman and the classic Penguins and Polarbears are highlights, but in truth the whole album is really really good. The Swedish accent of the singer adds something different, and likeable to the mix, and the catchy hooks don't hurt either. A modern masterclass in 'real' pop-punk done right, for sure.

54. Millencolin- Life On A Plate
Millencolin’s second album is the one that put this band in the spotlight. Going straight in at number four in the charts of their native Sweden (remarkable for a pop punk band, and on an independent label as well), it is a highly regarded pop punk release, and even contains a hint of ska in some tracks. Traditional Millencolin goofiness is evident throughout in songs about their mates to their insatiable desire to eat! This contains some cracking tracks from the excellent opener Bullion to the hilarious Story Of My Life. If you are a Millencolin fan then you should own this CD!

Recommended songs: Bullion, Move Your Car, Killercrush, Friends ‘Til The End, Story Of My Life, Softworld.

55. Buzzcocks - Singles going steady
Releasing a album packed full of the band's catchiest singles is ideal, but challenging for a band like The Buzzcocks. Ideal for the reason that the Buzzcocks made some of the single most coolest, catchiest, and infectious tunes of their time. Challenging for the reason that it couldn't have been an easy task choosing only 16 tracks and knowing that so many others were left out. However, the songs were apparently well-chosen. Singles Going Steady was the result of the choosing, and has become arguably the best Buzzcocks release. It is certainly one of the most popular. From the simple Ramones-esque songs like "Orgasm Addict" to the slightly more complex and technical "Ever Fallen In Love?" The Buzzcocks compiled songs that will be stuck in your head for the rest of your life into one disc.

56. Bigwig- Stay Asleep

This is Bigwig’s best release to date, and that by no means makes any of the other CDs bad. The fact is, this CD is just exceptionally well written, a pop punk record packed full of feeling and emotion. Guitarist and vocalist Tom has a venom in his voice that is so often missing from modern pop punk. Stay Asleep is pop punk with an edge, the music has substance and they are playing for a purpose. Bigwig has derived their sound from many cross genre influences, from NOFX to RKL, from Slayer to Propagandhi and they will be around for a long time to come. A new record is due out this year and should you get the opportunity to see them live, do!

Recommended songs: Still, Smile, Flavour Ice, Falling Down, Boardumb, 1-800-Whipped.

57. Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning
An excellent melancholy offering from the trio, this is pop punk at it’s darkest. Guitarist Matt Skiba and bassist Dan Adriano share the vocals on the album, with both passing the test. This is a fast paced offering that never lets up, pounding through love songs like an elephant through butter. Musically it is relatively simple, and they never try to over complicate things by adding solos that don’t fit just for the sake of it. This is a record with real feeling and fans will not be disappointed. In fact the only thing that lets it down is due to the number of stupendously catchy tunes that you will listen to it too much if possible. Anyone will like this CD, there’s not much on it to disagree with. (UK edition has two bonus tracks)

Recommended songs: We’ve Had Enough, Continental, Every thug Needs A Lady, Blue Carolina, Donnes Party, Blue In The Face.

58. Pennywise- Land Of The Free
An insanely catchy politics packed album from the West Coast punk legends. Let’s be clear, this is not a pop punk CD, this is punk at it’s fastest and most powerful, raging through songs on religion, authority, war amongst others. Jim Lindberg’s vocals contain so much venom and bite, you can’t help but listen to what he has to say, and some fine musicians back him on this album. Byron McMackin’s drumming is relentless throughout and this album demonstrates why he is regarded so highly amongst punk drummers. Fletcher on guitar and Randy on bass demonstrate quality that is lacking in many other bands in the modern punk scene. Pennywise’s sixth studio album is a memorable one, a severely pissed off one, and asks us ‘to feel the rage of a new generation’. You certainly can on this record.

Recommended songs: F’uck Authority, Something Wrong With Me, My God, It’s Up To You, Divine Intervention, Anyone Listening.

59. Alkaline Trio – Maybe I’ll Catch Fire
Few bands can claim to have the catchiness of bands such as Green Day, the rawness of bands like The Descendents, and the lyrics of the Misfits, yet The Alkaline Trio can pull this off superbly. Maybe I'll Catch Fire is full of 10 brand new original songs, plus 4 songs which were from their self-titled album. The band goes from fast paced and catchy tunes such as 5-3-10-4, to slower more melodic songs such as Radio, with both of the bands singers having excellent songs. With Matt Skiba's songs tends to come the faster, more aggressive songs, whilst with Dan Andriano's comes the slower, more emotional lyrics. Some of the stand out tracks on this cd are 5-3-10-4, She Took Him To The Lake, Radio, I Lied My Face Off and Goodbye Forever, yet there are no weak songs on the album. This album showcases the Trio at their best, with the rawness and speed of God****it, mixed with the catchiness of From Here To Infirmary and Good Mourning, which makes this album one of the greatest pop punk cds of all time.

60. Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-04-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
albert_bass

61. Less Than Jake - Borders and Boundaries
On this album Less Than Jake left a lot of their ska roots away to focus more into pop-punk. Little by little they have been moving towards a more poppy sound but here they still use the horns a lot. This album has some very good songs, but also some crappy songs and it’s not a so great album although it’s not bad. It has catchy tunes and, as always, the vocals, and bass lines are the headlights of the album. Without losing energy they’re more poppy but they still have the good ol’ sound of Losing Steak and not being a great album it is a good one. So specially if you’re starting in pop-punk I’d recommend you to check it. Best songs: Look What Happened, Gainesville Rock City, Last Hour Of The Last Day Of, Work Mr Chevy Celebrity.

62. Saves The Day- Through Being Cool

63. A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print
It's not so often a record comes along that can impress fans of any
genre of music. However, A Wilhelm Scream's Mute Print achieves such
a feat. Combining complex songwriting with catchy melodies, the album
is truly one of a kind. With tracks like "Kursk" and "Anchor End",
Mute Print will always keep you coming back for a little more.

64. Lagwagon – Trashed
This is an awesome album from the beginning to the end. The vocals aren’t as high pitched as we’ve come to expect from Joey Cape, but that’s not a problem as it’s great nonetheless. The guitar work is incredible: typically impressive riffs and solos, and the bass lines as always, fit incredibly into the tune even when Jesse plays something completely different to what his guitarists do. What to say about the drums? This is one of the few albums recorded with Derrick Plourde (recently deceased) and his work is great as always. So what’s wrong about this album? Answer: absolutely nothing. It starts with the great Island Of Shame and there’s not a single bad song on the album. They also did a cover of Brown Eyed Girl but then again, these guys know how to make good covers. It fits their style perfectly, and the originality of the bass lines are pure genius. Again, the riffs are awesome in almost every song and as I can’t say the best songs because there are too many I think I will say the worst songs of the album: Goin’ south, Dis’chords and Whipping Boy. Listen to these songs and then imagine how are the best ones.

65. Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You Are Dead

66. Vandals - Internet Dating Superstuds

67. Tsunami Bomb- The Ultimate Escape

68. Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave
Fall Out Boy have quickly risen to be international stars in the pop-punk world. Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girl provided us with the first glimmer that this band were here to make the music we love as good as it gets, and 2003's Take This To Your Grave didn't disappoint when they signed to Fueled To Ramen. Like New Found Glory with an actual decent vocalist, FOB presented us with some of the catchiest and most tongue-in-cheek songs not to be heard for a while. The riffs sound familiar but different, and you can instantly like them. And with such infectious songs like "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to do Today", "Grand Theft Autumn/Where is Your Boy" and "Chicago is so Two Years Ago", this album has won it's way into many pop-punkers collections. Sure, this may be another album presenting more songs about wasting days away with girlfriends who will leave you and having the best times with your friends, but Fall Out Boy pull it off so well. Move over Blink-182, your throne shall be taken soon

69. Lifetime - Jerseys Best Dancers

70. Mad Caddies - Rock the Plank
Perhaps the birth of pirate-core!? Maybe not, but this is a blinder form the caddies, playing whatever comes to mind, they encapsulate a live show atmosphere into a fun filled CD spanning 13 well written, well performed punk tracks. Containing a number of Caddies anthems, this is the CD that forced the band into the spotlight. Weird Beard and All American Bada’ss are trademarks, Bridges and Shaving You Life are pure pop punk at it’s best and ska elements are never far away, with the blinders We’ll Start To Worry When The Cynics Start Believing and Mary Melody (also demonstrating singer Chuck’s excellent whistling ability!). A very impressive offering.

Recommended songs: Shaving Your Life, Mary Melody, We’ll Start To Worry When The Cynics Start Believing, Weird Beard, Booze Cruise, All American Bada’ss

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-04-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
albert_bass

71. Vendetta Red - Between the Never and the Now

72. Something Corporate - Leaving Through The Window

73. Billy Talent- S/T
It's rare for a band as young as Billy Talent to get as much
recognition as they did after the release of their S/T debut. Then
again, it's rare for such an addictively catchy record to be produced.
From "The Ex" to "Voices of Violence", Billy Talent's S/T record will
have you hummin the melodies all day long and possibly longer.

74. New Found Glory - S/T

75. MxPx- The Ever Passing Moment

So there’s the final list. Phew…. And now I’ll put here all the people who helped with reviews to make a so nice list of albums.

El_Shizzy:
Billy Talent - S/T
Bad Religion - Process Of Belief
A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print
Rise Against - Siren Songs Of The Counter Culture

Rancid_Dan:
Blink 182 - Dude Ranch
From here to infirmany - Alkaline Trio
Stranger than Fiction - Bad Religion
The Empire Strikes First - Bad Religion
NOFX – Punk In Drublic

Twat_Out_Of_Hell:
Bouncing Souls - How I spent my summer vacation
Descendents - Everything sucks
NOFX – WTTHAAB
NOFX – SLATFATS
Alkaline Trio – Good Mourning
Mad Caddies - Rock The Plank
Bouncing Souls- S/T
Millencolin – Life On A Plate
Pennywise – Land Of The Free

Kif:
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave
Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?
Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

Chumpradio:
Alkaline Trio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire

EmoScreamoPunk:
Thrice - The Artist In The Ambulance

Zeppelinfan2k3:
AFI – Sing The Sorrow
Finch – Letters To You
Thursday – Full Collapse
Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon
Coheed And Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Sketchyjoe:
The Epoxies – S/T
The Undertones - S/T
The Queers - Grow Up
Groovie Ghoulies - Fun In The Dark

Ganondorf:
Green Day - Dookie
Blink 182 – Enema Of The State
Blink 182 - Cheshire Cat
Box Car Racer – S/T
Green Day – American Idiot
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
Less Than Jake – Losing Streak
Millencolin – Pennybridge Pioneers

SkateMASTERbater2:
Screeching Weasel - BoogadaBoogadaBoogada

Med57:
Sum 41 – All Killer No Filler

albert_bass:
AFI – Art Of Drowning
Lagwagon – Trashed
Offspring – Americana
Less Than Jake – Borders And Boundaries

Oz rembrandt:
Green Day – Nimrod

Some reviews are from the people on the punk forum who did their job before this list was done and here is the list of those people:

Brain Squirmin' Like A Toad:
The Ramones – S/T

SkateMASTERbater2:
Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves

El_Shizzy:
AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset
The Buzzcocks – Singles Going Steady

Albert_bass:
The Vandals - Hitler Bad, Vandals Good

fat_****103:
Rise Against - Revolutions per minute

???? (I guess it was sketchy):
Descendents - Milo Goes to College

skecthyjoe:
The Adicts – Sound Of Music
The Adicts – Songs Of Praise

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who helped me with this list.

Later, this reviews have been done:

bassplayer222:
The Used - S/T

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-07-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
Rancid Dan

Huzzah

Old 05-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Dragon_Prince
Baba O'Riley

nice list, a shame that some of the albums don't have a review, but very good list, and very good for all the time you put in making it
Old 05-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
Rancid Dan

Put the names of the reviewers in bold at the bottom, so they stand out more.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #12
billiejoe84
Sir, I say to you: bleh

That is a quality list. Good work, Albert! The only thing I think that's wierd is that all the reviews say positive things, except American Idiot. Couldn't you have got someone who doesn't hate that album to review it?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #13
albert_bass

^^ Review it if you want.

Dan: Yeah I know, give me some time. I have to bold the whole ****ing thing.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
billiejoe84

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_bass
^^ Review it if you want.
Would that be OK? I just think it makes more sense to say something good about all the albums, especially if it's as high as AI is.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
Rancid Dan

Lolz, i did more reviews than Kif !!!11

Old 05-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #16
albert_bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiejoe84
Would that be OK? I just think it makes more sense to say something good about all the albums, especially if it's as high as AI is.
Yeah it would be ok. It would have been better if you had done it before but I think I'll forgive you.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #17
billiejoe84

I didn't actually realise that you were getting reviews for everything. I am an idiot, sorry. I'll get that done soon...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #18
Rancid Dan

How did you decide which albums got higher, when some drew, i.e FHTI, Hitler.. and Cheshire Cat i think ?

Old 05-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
albert_bass

Looking at how many votes they had in the previous round and if they drew again looking in a previous round again.

If anyone wants to do a review of an album it would be very nice of you. Specially if you nominated it. I'll do The Offspring ones soon probably but I can't do no more.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #20
Rancid Dan

Ok, well done.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #21
billiejoe84

I'll do SoCo - Leaving Through The Window too. Might have to dig it out when I get home as I haven't listened to it in ages.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #22
Rancid Dan

On there it says that both Kif and Vince both reviewed Deja Entendu ?

Old 05-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #23
albert_bass

Yeah sorry. Vince reviewed "Your favorite weapon" I copied and pasted for the name of the band but forgot to change it :P. If you see more mistakes please let me know.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #24
Rancid Dan

Okiedokie

Old 05-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #25
mr senseless

this list blows
Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #26
Rancid Dan

So do you asshole, fuck off out.

Now.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #27
albert_bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr senseless
this list blows
Let's fight!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #28
Another Emo Kid
No.

All of a sudden I feel inadequate /will do Co &Ca if time allows
Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #29
cbmartinez
night moves

I'll do TSL, STD and VD. I'll try to have them by tonight. Nice work on this.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #30
Ganondorf

Cool list, well done

Last edited by Ganondorf; 05-04-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: