Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Danish
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,829
The Media

What are your thoughts on the media today?
Danish is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
coheneran
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the company of the aggrieved
Posts: 8,796
That's a bit of a broad definition isn't it?
coheneran is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Steve Buscemi
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 76
Everything is really shallow, not sure how much else there is to say. The 80's movie mentality has really spilled over into the present in the form of "reality TV' and other types of media.
Steve Buscemi is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
gmoneyguy
Remember you're unique
 
gmoneyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Just like anybody else.
Posts: 32,566
What type of media? News media? Enterntaiment?
gmoneyguy is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
spitfirejunky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It's a lot more convenient. Before on-demand, digital TV guides and the internet, I had to devote significant amounts of time to sift through all the bullshit on most media.
 
Old 05-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
thedeadwalk!
I Will Break
 
thedeadwalk!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 11,874
It's more of a broad question. But I suppose, then, he just wants a broad answer on our thoughts of the media with which he will razzle dazzle us with his smarts. Even Broadway Danny Rose will give some background to his topical threads.

Come on Danish, you mentioned being interested in facism and the media (I think that's what you said), and now it's eating you alive to talk about it with someone. Spill it.
thedeadwalk! is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
coheneran
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the company of the aggrieved
Posts: 8,796
I like indymedia.
coheneran is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
Against Miik!
Registered User
 
Against Miik!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Athens
Posts: 19,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus in Musica
What type of media? News media? Enterntaiment?
They are kind of the same thing now. Even stories that could be legitimate news are turned into entertainment. Stuff like Laci Peterson and Natalie Hallaway. All this stuff is on the cover of people magazine right next to the latest news on Brad and Angelina.
Against Miik! is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Danish
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadwalk!
It's more of a broad question. But I suppose, then, he just wants a broad answer on our thoughts of the media with which he will razzle dazzle us with his smarts. Even Broadway Danny Rose will give some background to his topical threads.

Come on Danish, you mentioned being interested in facism and the media (I think that's what you said), and now it's eating you alive to talk about it with someone. Spill it.
Not "fascism and the media"! "Fascism" and "media." Get it? That's why I've started a thread on the media.

I just wanted to start a discourse on the state of media and media's role in a democratic society, that's all. Sheesh! I don't always have ulterior motives!
Danish is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Nazi Bastard
Registered User
 
Nazi Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 260
It's disgusting. I barely watch it because it's so terrible.
Nazi Bastard is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
gmoneyguy
Remember you're unique
 
gmoneyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Just like anybody else.
Posts: 32,566
I have no qualms with enterntainment apsect, mainly because I don't rely on it for information, and I can easily ignore the show I dislike. News thought I wish they cover both sided of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am miik
They are kind of the same thing now. Even stories that could be legitimate news are turned into entertainment. Stuff like Laci Peterson and Natalie Hallaway. All this stuff is on the cover of people magazine right next to the latest news on Brad and Angelina.
I see what you are saying... but its tabloids they have been doing stuff like that for a while. I meant nore in sense of movies, TV shows, and the like.

Last edited by gmoneyguy; 05-29-2006 at 06:09 PM.
gmoneyguy is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
thedeadwalk!
I Will Break
 
thedeadwalk!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 11,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish
Not "fascism and the media"! "Fascism" and "media." Get it? That's why I've started a thread on the media.
So I left out a comma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish
I just wanted to start a discourse on the state of media and media's role in a democratic society, that's all. Sheesh! I don't always have ulterior motives!
It's just going to be the same as the other media threads: partisan bias, no partisan bias, entertainment pandering, it's okay, independent's where it's at, and so on. At least for my sake, talk about Manufacturing Consent since I only completed maybe the first chapter, and I doubt any of it made much sense.
thedeadwalk! is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
PerpetualBurn
Like a greasy chip butty
 
PerpetualBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Highway 61 (again)
Posts: 9,409
You can't talk about the media without mentioning how amazing Private Eye is, how shocking the Daily Mail is, and giving some great resepect to the BBC.
PerpetualBurn is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
gmoneyguy
Remember you're unique
 
gmoneyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Just like anybody else.
Posts: 32,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
You can't talk about the media without mentioning how amazing Private Eye is, how shocking the Daily Mail is, and giving some great resepect to the BBC.
Its easy for me... mainly because I don't watch the BBC
gmoneyguy is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
-1up!-
Hypermodern
 
-1up!-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2,069
The media portrays a simplistic vision of life, and in turn it instills a simplistic, stereotyped vision of life among those who rely too heavily on it.

Well. Actually that's more for "direct" media such as TV and radio. Few (sadly) are willing to make the intellectual commitment of listening to a 30 min radio conversation about globalisation or democracy.
-1up!- is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #16
Carrionshine
Registered User
 
Carrionshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am miik
They are kind of the same thing now. Even stories that could be legitimate news are turned into entertainment. Stuff like Laci Peterson and Natalie Hallaway. All this stuff is on the cover of people magazine right next to the latest news on Brad and Angelina.
I agree.I've seen E! True Hollywood Story episodes about Laci Peterson and Joan Benet Ramsey.It's sickening.
Carrionshine is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #17
Reaganista
ill be ur dog
 
Reaganista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: come to u when u call me
Posts: 29,013
I think that the internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human species

and it also contradicts most traditional critques of the mass media by functioning in a way that is fundamentally opposite.
Reaganista is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
madeyadams
Registered User
 
madeyadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tway
I think that the internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human species
I agree. We can get all kinds of information on the internet, not to mention the free music, videos, movies, etc that you can download. That's pretty freaking cool.

But I also dislike the media on how harsh it is for physical standards today.. both men AND women. Men are featured in Abercrombie catalogs with no shirts and washboard abs. How realistic is that? I read once they take the guys pictures about 10 minutes after they've been working out all day. But women are just as bad. The modeling industry, TV ads have lots of women selling crap that has nothing to do with how they look. That one TV ad with Paris Hilton and the hamburger where she is wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini? Yeah. Ridiculous.
madeyadams is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
italic zero
klik
 
italic zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 7,322
It's pretty rad.
italic zero is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
Against Miik!
Registered User
 
Against Miik!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Athens
Posts: 19,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyadams
I agree. We can get all kinds of information on the internet, not to mention the free music, videos, movies, etc that you can download. That's pretty freaking cool.

But I also dislike the media on how harsh it is for physical standards today.. both men AND women. Men are featured in Abercrombie catalogs with no shirts and washboard abs. How realistic is that? I read once they take the guys pictures about 10 minutes after they've been working out all day. But women are just as bad. The modeling industry, TV ads have lots of women selling crap that has nothing to do with how they look. That one TV ad with Paris Hilton and the hamburger where she is wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini? Yeah. Ridiculous.
Better than supporting obesity. Everybody says we should present people how we really are. Picture this. A 450 lbs woman taking down 5 or 6 Burger King burgers in a bikini on top of a car.

/pukes
Against Miik! is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:28 PM   #21
madeyadams
Registered User
 
madeyadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,131
You have a valid point. I would rather have our media supporting thinness than obesity. At least then I would have something to strive for that is at least attractive, haha.
madeyadams is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #22
-1up!-
Hypermodern
 
-1up!-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2,069
among all media, wikipedia is awesome. I could spend hours going from one article to another, following the endless number of links in any article.
-1up!- is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #23
Nazi Bastard
Registered User
 
Nazi Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyadams
You have a valid point. I would rather have our media supporting thinness than obesity. At least then I would have something to strive for that is at least attractive, haha.
Being fat is healthier than being skinny.
Nazi Bastard is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #24
madeyadams
Registered User
 
madeyadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,131
I should say not, Josh. When youre fat, you have all that unnessecary and extra weight that is being pressed on your organs, ESPECIALLY your heart. Granted, there is a difference between fat and obese, but either one isn't healthy. Being skinny and too skinny is different too, but at least when you're skinny you don't have higher risks for heart complications.
madeyadams is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #25
Against Miik!
Registered User
 
Against Miik!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Athens
Posts: 19,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazi Bastard
Being fat is healthier than being skinny.
Yeah, but obesity is far more widespread than anorexia and stuff like that. I would also argue that being underweight is easier to cure than being severely overweight. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we should put obese people in bikinis chowin down in our commercials. That way, some of the fatties would see how gross they look and start pukin up every other meal. I mean, our media portrays beauty, and we get uglier, so maybe the reverse will work. amirite?
Against Miik! is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #26
Nazi Bastard
Registered User
 
Nazi Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 260
Technically speaking though, being fat is in fact healthier. I kind of see your point though.

EDIT: ^That was to Madey.

EDIT 2: I agree miik
Nazi Bastard is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
madeyadams
Registered User
 
madeyadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,131
I guess it could be. Your body has insulation and fat to keep it warm I suppose. But other than that, I don't see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miik
I would also argue that being underweight is easier to cure than being severely overweight.
I agree with this x10.
madeyadams is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #28
Nazi Bastard
Registered User
 
Nazi Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 260
+Your body has extra fat to live off of.
Nazi Bastard is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
madeyadams
Registered User
 
madeyadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,131
It wouldn't go to living off of your fat unless you weren't eating anything at all, so under those terms, it need not apply unless you're anorexic. Which is pretty hard to go from one extreme to the other.
madeyadams is offline  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #30
Nazi Bastard
Registered User
 
Nazi Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 260
You get my point :-\
Nazi Bastard is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.