Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
dave mustaine #2
OnlyMemberOfTheMGFanClub

Anybody wanna rip apart my mix? (New Song)

http://soundcloud.com/justincluett/miles-beaten-step-to-this

I never wrote or played on this song, I just acted as engineer/producer, So feedback on the song isn't really gonna help me. I'm more looking for criticism on the mix itself and how everything sounds.

I appreciate any and all feedback, positive or negative!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
FRUGiHOYi
Life is a waterfall...

Sounds great...
Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
dave mustaine #2
OnlyMemberOfTheMGFanClub

Is there anything you can pick out that could be improved. I'm glad you thought it sounded good though.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
FRUGiHOYi
Life is a waterfall...

Nothing at all.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Kuffuffled
Banned

Guitar bass and drums could use some more separation. They sound good together but at the same time kind of muddle together. Vocals are super on top and bright compared to everything else. Song is mellow until the vox come in then the song is in your face.

Guitar is has a darker thing going on, probably not what most people would like but that's probably what the guy intended and it sounds fine to me

Vocal doubling was done well, reminds me of Clutch. Actually these guys are like a jazzy version of them

Overall it sounds great man, nit picking I'd say it could use some shimmer and a little more definition
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
dave mustaine #2
OnlyMemberOfTheMGFanClub

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the issue you had with the vocals I completely agreed with but that was what the band wanted.

But i also have had an issue with the monitors in the studio, the vocals will sit well in a mix but when i bounce it and listen on macbook speakers or headphones the vocals jump out. It's a strange thing i've yet to completely over come but i'm getting there.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
The Transporter
Banned

is kirk hammet the guitarist
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
Kuffuffled
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Transporter View Post
is kirk hammet the guitarist
lmao
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
dave mustaine #2
OnlyMemberOfTheMGFanClub

How'd you know? Secret's out of the bag now i guess.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Xomblies
Banned

seems like you've got some weird eq on the clean guitar, might be from the head but it's a bit scoopy in a weird way, i'd throw a really light comp on there to enhance the sustain of the guitar playing but don't over do it as this mix is really open and dynamic. You seem to have been able to create a nice polished sound while not overdoing it. Perfect for this style of music (sans the clean guitar tone)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
MrConeman
MX djentile.

I think the guitar tone is pretty good actually. It's the stereotypical Hendrix/SRV tone, with a little bit of wah to sweeten. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Pleasantly surprised by the vocals actually, I guess I'm hearing a lot of RHCP influence here? I always like when songs have the vocal and riff vibing off each other. Sweet tune composition wise. Definitely not what I would have expected from someone named Dave Mustaine, haha.

Mix wise, I mean, it's definitely not my area of expertise, but for some reason, when the rest of the "band" kicked in, everything seemed to sound a little better, than when the focus was on the guitar at the start. I think the vocals were mixed brilliantly actually. My favorite part of the track I think..
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
dave mustaine #2
OnlyMemberOfTheMGFanClub

Thanks man! Yeah this account is 7 years old now I think? lol I used to be a diehard Megadeth fan, still like them but have moved away from being the metal head I once was.

I also just noticed my signature says something about being a fan of the Marshall MG, god how things change. I traded that thing for an ESP Viper, the guy was a complete fool.

But yeah in terms of the song as soon as the band played it for me the first time before I recorded it, I asked if they listened to a lot of chilli peppers and they said no. That really surprised me, the majority of their songs are actually more acoustic based stuff, but a few more rockier tunes like this one.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
ares
Expirator

I tend to think that the drums (particularly the hats/overheads) are a little bright in the 8kHz and up region. Kick could maybe use a little more upper end definition to help it stand out more in relation to the rest of the kit, but that could be an artistic choice. Snare could maybe use some more thwump (150-200Hz) and seems not-so-centered (probably an overhead/room thing).

I agree that the vocals are maybe 1-2 dB high in the mix and maybe a tiny bit bright in the upper end versus everything else (noticed it especially with the doubling). I usually play the song and then walk around the room/adjoining rooms when setting vocal levels in a mix. This helps keep any listening fatigue under control and lets you better hear how the mix sounds as a whole (as the left+right blend).

When multitracking vocals, I tend to have a 'main' take which gets a normal EQ, and then the secondary tracks (usually at least 2 more) will have a bit of high end roll off to avoid the strange interference filtering you've got in the sibilance region. I think you've maybe got the doubled parts panned just a hair too much, that might help keep things a little more under control.

Everything else about the mix sounds great, though. It's not as dense as most of the stuff I do, but it still sounds good for being so sparse of a recording.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Aaron
Max Headroom

The vocalist needs to learn how to breathe.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Matt?

it sounds terrible to me but i think it's just the song and not the mix
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
JoaquinCastillo

Awesome track man! Love that groovy funky stuff! I think the drums are too upfront in the mix and dry. The guitar needs to be more in the front. The bass seems to be all the way in the back.

DonŽt get me wrong. It sounds great, but if you tweaked it more youŽd get a much fuller sound.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Epidemechanical
Banned

guitar sounds weird, like it's too middy. imo the EQ should smile more

vocals are mixed just right for this kind of music. each word clear and distinct just like people would like i imagine
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
Daimoth

Only problem I had is that the guitar doesn't sound as crisp as the other instruments.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
Daimoth

The guitar doesn't sound as crisp as the other stuff.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
chronopops
I don't like DOUGHNATS

Just my thoughts as I casually listen:

Bring the vox down like 2-3 dB.
Cut around 500 on the guitar and boost around 1-2k, it's too flat and bassy.
Everything else sounds good.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: