Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #31
Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot
I think you need to take a course in reality.
Actually, your choice in words is funny, because I was thinking you could probably use to learn about realist theory in IR, a theory which in many regards I consider correct.

It was driven by that comment you made about the "infidels". Do you really think that anti-Americanism in West Asia arose out of thin air? Some blind hatred for democracy?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #32
nowhesingsnowhesobs
__

Quote:
Instead of solidarity with your fellow workers that happen to be Mexican in origin, you're in favour of making their extremely difficult lives even harder.
Why, may I ask?
Quote:
It was driven by that comment you made about the "infidels". Do you really think that anti-Americanism in West Asia arose out of thin air? Some blind hatred for democracy?
Carry on. What did it rise out of?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #33
SubtleDagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish
Actually, your choice in words is funny, because I was thinking you could probably use to learn about realist theory in IR, a theory which in many regards I consider correct.

That's what I'm talking about. To consider a person who disagrees with your way of life a lesser individual is ignorance. Plain and simple.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #34
Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhesingsnowhesobs
Why, may I ask?
First of all, your post makes no sense.

Second, I wasn't talking to you.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #35
DBoons Ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot
There is a big, BIG difference between legal immigrants and freeloaders. Your grandparents didn't come to this country with the idea that they would sneak in, have a few kids and then stay for the long haul without ever earning their citizenship. Those Mexicans that come to the US illegally aren't making a better life for themselves. They're sticking to low-income, Mexican communities, they aren't learning how to speak English and they're leeching off the welfare system to survive. They aren't going out and even attempting to earn their citizenship and then when they're told to go home, they throw a temper tantrum. Defend them all you want, but your views are a little convoluted on this issue.
Immigrants become freeloaders due to the system surrounding it. It's become a bureacratic problem as I stated, and has more to do with our government's desire to make it next to impossible for these people to become citizens, hiding behind some insane set of anti-terrorist laws. If welfare wasn't so easy to be manipulated, it wouldn't be.

Also, you should know that American caucasions still make up the majority of welfare recipients in this country, not illegal immigrants. They have no other choice. Their country sucks, so they come here. Just like we did. I lived in NYC for more than 30 years and I still work here. I know NYC is among the worst places in the country for stuff like this. Sure it happens. But it happens moreso with our own citizens abuse of welfare then immigrants.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #36
Iscariot
Team Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish
Quote:
Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #37
Steve Buscemi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleDagger
In essence, yes. As I said, both groups have conflicting interests, but both at least deserve the simplest of human rights in my opinion. Regardless of their beliefs they are still the same as human beings.

I am for the most part a pacifist though; I believe in self-defense to some extent, but this is all my perspective here.
I'm a fan of action, and I think that 1984-ish fears and forewarnings are a little romantic.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 AM   #38
Iscariot
Team Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Med57
EDIT: Gah, sorry Jared for the total derail. :-/ If you want I can move most of the posts out of this thread and start a new one or something.
That would be very cool of you, my friend.

-Med

Last edited by Med57; 06-01-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #39
-1up!-
Hypermodern

Quote:
Many aspects of U.S. foreign policy.

- Blind support for Israel
- Support for regimes seen as oppressive and tyrannical (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan are examples)

- The US have a broad history of meddling in the politcal affairs of democratically elected countries. It is a fact that many coup d'État were planned by Americans (through the CIA) on democratically elected leaders to ensure its own interests. South America was particularly targetted by this. Guatemala, Honduras, Chile - there were also allegations that the CIA was implied in coups in Brazil and Argentina - as well as Operation Condor.

-America's treatment and use of international institutions such as the United Nations and World Trade Organization is often seen as self-serving and hypocritical in other countries, with reason.
- America's veto power in the United Nations Security Council has repeatedly been used to prevent censure of Israel, thereby angering Arab countries and those supporting them in the Israel-Arab conflict.

- US unilateralism, or "going its own way" on issues varying from the International Criminal Court to the Kyoto Protocol (see below) is also a cause of criticism.

- Some also complain about the fact that America has used the veto power in the United Nations Security Council more often than any other country, but considers it an offensive move when their allies use the veto against an American proposition.

-The continuing embargo against Cuba is seen by a broad range of people as vindictive - and hypocritical in the face of mainland China retaining "most favored nation" trading status.

-The US government annually certifies whether other countries cooperate in its War On Drugs; countries which are judged uncooperative are sanctioned economically and diplomatically. This annual review is seen as offensive by many foreign countries, most notably by Mexico.

- Many criticize the United States for boycotting the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, the Biological Weapons Convention, the Small Arms Treaty, the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, and the anti-personnel landmine banning Ottawa Treaty. It is also known to hold the world's largest arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and to continue development of new types of weapons although, along with many other powers, it campaigns against attempts to build weapons of mass destruction by countries such as Iraq, Iran, and North Korea while ignoring similar alleged programs by Israel.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_U.S._foreign_policy"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_U.S._foreign_policy[/url]

The United States are often labelled as imperialist - such a claim cannot be refuted. No matter how you present it, America has, and still shows, blatant disregard for democracy if it comes in conflict with its own interests, effectively ignoring basic human rights such as people's right to self-determination. To say that America defends freedom and peace is incredibly hypocritical and naive. American serves its own interest EXTREMELY well. Kudos to them for this. The arrogance and hegemonic attitude of the American empire is, however, also a negation of many foreign people's sovereignty and rights, but such a fact does not reach the ears of political leaders, let alone Republicans.

This is what anti-americanism rose out of.

Last edited by -1up!-; 06-01-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #40
Reaganista
ill be ur dog

Quote:
US constitutional rights are reserved for legal US citizens.
actually not.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: