Thread: berklee
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #79
TheClap
Lafaro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVIC5 View Post
Matt Garrison? Esperanza Spalding? Lincoln Goines?

But that's irrelevant anyway. I don't go to Berklee for bass. You'll learn a lot, though.

I'm familiar with those instructors, Esperanza especially, but those teachers I named are honestly better at upright bass and electric in jazz.

Quote:
I guess I misunderstood you, and as far as dingdingaling jazz goes, sure, there are other schools that are be better. However, I will say this. I know very few other schools that offer a degree in "jazz composition", and those that do pale in comparison to Berklee's program. The jazz composition classes of most other schools use textbooks that Berklee staff wrote. (Arranging for Large Jazz Ensemble and Modern Jazz Voicings were both co-wrote by my current teacher for jazz counterpoint). Herb Pomeroy, one of the great jazz educators, was among the first to really create a curriculum out of advanced jazz arranging, and his techniques and methods are at the core of the curriculum at Berklee and elsewhere today.
Yes berklee has the best jazz composition class out there. New School is good if you want to play, North Texas has a great scene and a great overall jazz experience. Other schools foray in jazz but obviously don't delve as deep as music schools. But like I said eariler it depends on what you want to do with bass or music in general that determines whats the best option for you. (duh)