View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Murderfists

In Flames ... Death Metal or Metalcore?

Just a quick question/opinion with a little back story...

I originally started hearing In Flames awhile back thanks in part to Guitar Hero III bonus tracks. I didn't like the album Lunar Strain--AT FIRST--but it grew on me and is easily one of my favorite death metal-sounding albums and one that I generally use to compare others in the genre to.

Well, after many years, I decided to purchase a newer In Flames album, seeing as these guys are still together with the exception of losing a guitarist last year.

The album A Sense of Purpose was an utter disappointment. If I had hoped to hear a metalcore album, then it would have been a great album. It's not a bad album, it just doesn't sound like an In Flames album.

It sounds more vaguely like Unearth or Lamb of God than their first album.

What happened between 1994 and 2008? At what point did their sound change from dark false-vocals to more of the enthusiastic singing-screaming style? The Celtic acoustic sounds from Lunar Strain were completely absent from this album. I should have known from the cover art that something was amiss, but Wikipedia still describes In Flames as a melodic death metal band.

Comments? Anyone agree or disagree? If looking for that Gothenburg death metal sound from Lunar Strain, what other In Flames (or other band) albums to check out? Which to avoid?