View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
albert_bass

41. Descendents - Everything Sucks
Perhaps the greatest moment in scientific history was when Milo decided to take a break from studying and record this album. Many have hailed this record as one of the greatest of all time of any genre, and it is fitting that the founders of pop punk wrote it. It rages along through 15 tracks at break neck speed (only one song over 2:30!), discussing any topic that crosses the bands’ mind, from love to losing your bollocks, from being stuck in a dead end job to listening to your favourite records. This release epitomises the Descendents’ aptitude for silliness and ‘fart’ humour and their tradition of hear felt love songs. A must own.

Recommended tracks: I’m The One, When I Get Old, Doghouse, She Loves Me, We, Thank You.

42. The Adicts - Sound Of Music
The second album from clockwork pop-punkers The Adicts may not have their most famous tunes but it is their best album. Keeping the catchy melodies and fast-paced music from their debut Songs Of Praise, The Adicts kept up the pace and even improved on their debut classic. Key songs include Chinese Takeaway, Joker In The Pack and My Baby Got Run Over By A Steamroller. This is a must-have album.

43. The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It

44. The Empire Strikes First.
Formed in 1980 the band have been going for 25 years an accomplishment in itself, but most bands wouldn't be able to stay as good as they were all the way through their career. Bad Religion have. The Empire Strikes First was released in 2004, and it's excellent. The lyrics are as superb as ever and have some more political songs this time round. The songs are so catchy, you will be singing them for weeks. The Guitar work is amazing, as expected, especially in 'Let them eat war'. The harmonies are as strong as ever, especially notable in the excellent 'Sinister Rouge' and 'Gods Love'. Some of Bad Religions best work is in this album. The songwriting is what makes this album stand out, it really is excellent.
A joy to listen to.
Standout tracks - Sinister Rouge, Gods Love, Los Angeles Is Burning and Beyond Electric Dreams.

45. The Epoxies – The Epoxies
The Epoxies debut album comes in at well under 30 minutes but it still packs a punch. Combining 80s New Wave Synth-Pop with pure Punk to create a truly unique pop-punk album and one of the best of the last few years. As much as influenced by Devo and Blondie as they are by bands like NOFX and Bad Religion, The Epoxies songs are full of catchy melodies and manic energy. From the blast of synth that introduces the first song, Need More Time til the fade-out at the end of Please Please, this album will keep you gripped from start to finish with songs such Stop Looking At Me, Bathroom Stall and Cross My Heart.

46. Sum 41 – All Killer No Filler
Sum 41 are somewhat atypical among the more famous, MTV friendly pop-punk bands, due to their larger appeal to a broader audience. This album was their second release, and the one that propelled them to international popularity, on the back of smash singles such as "Fat Lip", "In Too Deep" and "Motivation". Although undoubtedly a pop-punk album, there are hints of more metal influences, most obviously on the opening and closing songs which pay tribute to Iron Maiden, and the band's sound would later change somewhat to reflect the music that they grew up listening to. For any fan of more mainstream pop punk though, this album pretty much sums up the years immediately after 2000 when pop punk bands seemed to be everywhere, and this album is definitely one to listen to. Although Deryck Whibley's vocals have come in for criticism he ably shares the singing duties with other band members, resulting in a more diverse sound, over hugely catchy guitar riffs. For many people hearing this album will take them back to 2001, and that's definitely the case for me.

47. The Bouncing Souls- S/T
Their Epitaph debut could not have gone much better! An upbeat album, packed with so many great tracks it’s hard not to be a fan of this fantastic band. Cracked is an incredible album opener so fast it fills you with energy. Drums pound throughout, and the Souls unique sound with bass playing as loud as the guitar, supported by wonderful, tuneful backing vocals make this band the definition of fun. East Side Mags, Say Anything (one of the greatest songs ever), East Coast F’uck You! and Kate Is Great show the souls in a way few other bands have the ability to come across as. The album that set them up for greatness!

Recommended songs: Cracked, Say Anything, Kate Is Great, East Side Mags, The Toilet Song, East Coast F’uck You.

48. Screeching weasel - boogada boogada boogada
This album, released in 1988, is a lot faster than screeching weasel other releases. This band clearly follows the footsteps of the ramones, the queers, the descendents etc... by introducing melody in their fast and agressive music. It starts of perfectly with dingbat, then follows up with another standout track: love. Other stand out tracks would be: my right,hey suburbia, supermarket fantasy, i hate led Zeppelin.
Although most CDs with 26 songs on it would mostly be filler, this album is very solid. I reccomend it to people getting into screeching weasel. Also show it to your friends who think pop punk sucks.

49. The Offspring – Americana
Probably my first punk album and still one of my favorites. That's the review.

I think with that 1st sentence you can sense that this album has something special for me. It's probably too poppy for some people but it's in that thin line between too poppy songs and great songs. Starts with a brief intro saying "Welcome" to the album and I think the intro+1st song is one of the best album starts I've ever heard. It's so simple but so great and that first song: "Have you ever" is one of the best tracks on that album. Why is this album so good? Originality, catchyness, energy, variety, and good songs. This album is full of classics like the mentioned Have You Ever, Americana, The kids aren't all right, The End Of The Line, Why Don't You Get A Job and it's so good because those songs are completely different one from another and all are great. At the end of the album then you have a song that not everyone will be able to enjoy but I think it's a masterpiece: Pay The Man. Starts with only guitars with some morish riffs with a slow build up... And then after about 5 minutes it suddenly breaks into a magnificent guitar riff and becomes a completely different song. So this album is great from the beginning to the end. The worst song is Pretty Fly but you can't deny that it's a catchy tune. On a side note Walla Walla was originally going to be released by The Vandals but it seems they didn't want it.

50. Reel Big Fish - Why Do They Rock So Hard?

Last edited by albert_bass; 05-04-2005 at 12:51 PM.