View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #832
Xomblies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
I listened to my mix with your critique in mind. I definitely get the crushed feeling from the whole mix, this is mostly because the recording is really dense and I had just thrown a compressor on everything but drums grouped together. I mixed it all in one session, so I might have caught this if I'd taken a break and come back with fresh ears.

The guitar sound is not really fixable, the recording itself is 2 years old and lackluster and I was just trying to breath some life into it by adding some soft clipping.

The drum sound is actually pretty much what I'm going for. I could maybe add some more overheads/reverb to tie it together, but I'm pretty happy with it as it is. Also, I'm using Superior Drummer 2.0 triggered by an E-kit, so your comment about tom mics doesn't apply.

As for the mixes that you linked earlier, they sound pretty good but seriously lack bass guitar. Try boosting 100-200Hz and compressing the fuck out of it, especially with a compressor that can add some soft clipping.
if you're using superor drummer all the more reason to crush and boost the overheads, don't smash them too hard or you'll get ultra pump on the cymbals but you'd be surprised at how present your entire kit can sound from overheads/ mono room mic

check this:
http://soundcloud.com/pwen_wilsons_nose/deadly-rhinocerous-horn-is

I'm using the same kit you're using; SD2 was recorded in an amazing live room, i'd advise you to utilize the room sound rather than trying to isolate the close mics; since you did that, it makes it sound like you did some heavy dick sound replacement on them dramz. as far as the final bus comp, just set the release time to auto if you can, it might help your guitars sound a bit too...

i'm not sure what this recording is for but you may want to go in yourself and lay down some Di'd guitars using something like amplitube underneath the recorded tone, sounds funny but that would sound less solid state/ plastic sounding than the tone you got from mic'ing that shit up. Don't worry about preserving performance, your client isn't going to complain if their shit sounds like sex in the ear pussy