View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
noblelumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderJazz View Post
How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with reading rythms (atleast to the point where you can figure it out in a normal amount of time, but not necessarily site reading)? Ive only been reading for a couple of months and I dont really practice it as much as I should. Sometimes I read/write and get it perfectly, but sometimes I get stumped.
Hey I just stumbled across this thread and thought I could offer some good advice. If you want to get better at reading rhythms then do this, go out and get yourself a book for drummers called "Syncopation" by Ted Reed, Go through it with a metronome (the metronome is of paramount importance to this process) and count out loud as you do (also important). It has left and right hand rhythms that you do simultaneously while counting and it covers every possible rhythm in every possible arrangement, go through each exercise and master it then switch hands and do it again, if you do this properly for 20 min a day I promise you that you will be reading rhythms easily by the end of that week. It really really works, seriously.