View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #840
Xomblies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartomods View Post
so i would link them via spdif and only connect one of them to usb ? Would this work ?
you can clock to spdif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseph View Post
You could try driver wrappers. It's possible something like ASIO4ALL would work out for you: it generally tries to make available I/O for any devices that Windows recognizes.

There is, however, a consideration of cost-of-scale.

Consider for a moment that the Tascam US-1800 is a USB 2.0 device with 16 inputs and 4 outputs and appears to have a street price of $300. Let's ignore MIDI and the line inputs for a second and focus on the 8 channels of mic/line inputs.

Chaining together even 2 inexpensive devices (assuming it works) is will probably run you about $200-300. The cheapest new interface I'm seeing on Musiciansfriend right now that has at least 2 channels of preamps is the Alesis io|2: at $99. So for the same price (i.e., $300 for 3 Alesis units) you're looking at 3/4 the inputs of the same type, plus whatever headaches you get trying to make things work with a collection of devices held together with the digital equivalent of shoestring and chewing gum. Plus whatever might happen with MIDI devices (though I suspect this won't be a huge deal).

So unless you're planning on trying to find a bunch of interfaces used for dirt cheap, this might not be the least-expensive option (neat idea, though).

Maybe, maybe not. If you had clock I/O, or you could set up the drivers to read from the computer or some other master device it could possibly work out for you.
it's possible he already has two interfaces and that's why he's asking...

Last edited by Xomblies; 06-03-2011 at 05:48 PM.