View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
ares
Expirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemechanical View Post
inaudible or too loud? that doesnt make any sense. it is compressed pretty hard, ratio inf:1, and its mixed down with another track of the same bassline with a distortion and EQ (lopass+hipass+800 boost)
(Bass)
In some parts of the song it is definitely much more prominent than in others. This is probably an EQ thing that you don't notice because of speaker/room influence.

Quote:
15k+ cuts are for any "esses" that may have survived the original surgery
Do you have any reason to cut it, or are you just doing it because you read about de-essing in a book or on a forum? Unless you know that there is for sure something to fix, don't mess with it.

Quote:
right but on analysis (and mixing significantly lower) the copypasta added clarity, which in my original mix, lacked even more. any suggestions on a way to post-process to increase clarity is appreciated
This is probably just the comb filtering causing constructive interference at a particular frequency that enhances 'clarity'. If you didn't delay the doubled tracks at all, they are just making it louder.

Not really sure what you mean by 'clarity'. Without hearing the raw tracks I can't really say what you should do. Mixing is an ad hoc process and there are no formulae for success.

Quote:
well i wouldn't consider this a hard rock song nor do i listen to any hard rock so im not sure why i would do that but ok
Well, compare it to excellently recorded music within whatever genre. I was using the term 'hard rock' as a generic term for anything loud.