View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #824
I_am_the_one
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad But True View Post
Might sound like a noobish question but here goes. When you're mixing stuff and you need it all to be below say -3db you don't just whack a limiter on the master, right? You go through and balance the volume of everything until nothing spikes over the -3dbs so that mastering can make up the volume? My problem is I'm trying to retain as much dynamics in the recordings as possible but don't know how to do that and get it loud :s

http://www.audiorecording.me/how-to-mix-instrument-frequencies-for-best-sound.html

Here's how I do it. I mix the drums first in stereo. I prefer to mix the snare, kick and center tom in the middle, the overheads panned hard right and left, and the high-hat slightly off center to the right with remaining cymbals panned hard right and left. Try the following settings...the kick drum at 0dB, the bass drum between -5dB and -10dB while your percussion and cymbals should sit somewhere around the -20dB.

Bass guitar and vocals are always in the center of the mix. And using a stereo double on choruses and harmonies results in lots of depth.

Consider doubling guitars to give them extra depth and pan each hard right and hard left. I always encourage guitarists to ad-lib on the doubles, this adds some extra body to the mix.

Learning to boost or cut the different frequencies for each instrument is what you need to practice...until you find what works best for your music.