View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #814
Moseph
search for MGWAFTNAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad But True View Post
Awesome Moseph, cheers for that.

Might sound like a noobish question but here goes. When you're mixing stuff and you need it all to be below say -3db you don't just whack a limiter on the master, right? You go through and balance the volume of everything until nothing spikes over the -3dbs so that mastering can make up the volume? My problem is I'm trying to retain as much dynamics in the recordings as possible but don't know how to do that and get it loud :s

No, it's even easier than that. If I'm worrying about a mastering phase, I just bump down the master fader during mixing so I get the peak amplitude into the -9 to -6 dB range. It's basically transparent (when working in the box), and still leaves you the headroom. If you have a dynamic range of 90+ dB in your mix (which is rare, even for things like opera or symphonic music recorded live) this might not be an option. Generally, it's not a problem.

Then, in mastering, if I like the dynamic range/volume trade-off, I can just bump up the fader again (though this time it'll be a track fader for that particular song) to use up the remaining headroom if I don't want to adjust the dynamic range on that track (for whatever reason). Nothing lost at all in that case.