Thread: The Media
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #79
Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhesingsnowhesobs
I'm still a little uncertain what shape this media 'town square' would ideally take. What about the BBC do you think of as positive?
I don't really know a lot about the BBC, so I can't comment about it directly. I do know, however, that the CBC was built on the British model (BBC).

The CBC, as a public broadcaster, is able to serve the needs of Canadians regardless of profitability. For instance, where it would be highly unprofitable to put a TV or radio station in a remote town of 500 in the Yukon, the CBC can because they have institutional principles and responsibilities that don't include the bottom line.

However, things are getting harder and harder for the CBC. Over the past 16 years, their budget has been slashed significantly and they now rely on advertising revenue for 1/3 of their budget, seriously compromising their ability to focus on their principles.

I suppose PBS/NPR in the US has had a similar experience, though the corporate media there is much much more power. I would like to note, though, that Canada has perhaps the worst media ownership concentration in the industrialized world.