Thread: berklee
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #20
EADGC
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Red View Post
it depends
first off i'd have to ask what you want to do with studying bass.

if you're going to go school for 'Bass' i'd say don't do it. now if you're going to study 'Music'. then i'd say thats cool. but i'd first have to ask what do you want to do with your career as far as being involved in the music industry. do you want to Produce and Record, do you want to work in film or video games, do you want to be a songwriter, do you want to perform, what is it that you're looking to accomplish and are interested in?
Well this is the case. The harsh reality is that studying bass isn't really going to get you anywhere unless you want to a) be totally proficient on both electric and upright (and singing, theory, and piano of course help) and b) woodshed 8+ hours a day. And there are people I know who practice that much. Worth it? In my opinion, not a chance.

And as mentioned, there's a great chance that you either a) will end up getting a gig that didn't require a degree at all thus wasting a ton of money, or worse b) you won't make it at all and end up working a 9-5 and thus... wasting a ton of money.

So let's see, maybe you want to rethink that and switch into producing, recording, film, video games, composing... think again. These are all fields that once again, require no piece of paper and are notoriously difficult to get into.

This is why I'm focusing on education. As much as I love songwriting, producing, recording, scoring, etc, I'm not naive enough to think I'm going to score a comfortable job with them. It's not worth the risk when I can fill up my electives with those, still learn a ton, and do them in my spare time all I want.

So in summary think this through.. just because you get the audition doesn't really mean much. You've got to make your time there actually worth something and that means studying hard (and there will be lots to study), making contacts, and being qualified for a field in which there actually might be work for you (and there aren't many). Music school is not what people seem to think and if you go, you'll figure this out pretty quick. People think I'm "studying bass" and yet I sing at least 10x as much as I play in classes.