View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Epidemechanical
Banned

Quote:
Drums:
Kick has very little low end to it, could use some more presence in the 4-5 kHz and up range.
Snare is alright.
Cymbals/overheads have a tinny sound to them - sounds like you boosted like crazy at around 5 kHz. It clouds the whole mix.
Couldn't really hear the toms/distinguish them from the kick drum at all.
cymbals sound decent to me but to be honest i didnt mix the drums. i use presets, no idea what im doing drum-mix wise. not a lot of tom work going on in the song other than the fill in the intro

Quote:
Bass
Either inaudible or too loud in the mix. Compress the fuck out of it, I like to use a compressor that has a setting that adds harmonic distortion to emphasize the 1st and 2nd order harmonics. Perform any EQ before compression in order to keep levels consistent across the whole song. It could also use some more low end in the 80-160 Hz range (I high-pass bass at 50).
inaudible or too loud? that doesnt make any sense. it is compressed pretty hard, ratio inf:1, and its mixed down with another track of the same bassline with a distortion and EQ (lopass+hipass+800 boost)

Quote:
Vocals
First, I'm going to ask what mic you are using to record vocals with. With a good mic, very minimal EQ/processing is required.
I'm of the opinion that your high pass filter is a little high. I don't go higher than 110 for male vocals, but whatever.
I don't hear any of the stereo spreading that you mention.
shure KSM27. its not the best but it works. maybe youre right on the HPF, but i can't hear much difference between 100-150 on my vocal tracks. its a gentle band, not a hard cut.

Quote:
Do you know how high 15kHz really is? Most people over age 20 can't hear much higher than that, especially musicians. Get a test tone plugin to see how high it goes. One of these can also be useful in determining where your room modes are and what frequencies are notable/absent in your speakers. The frequency range for most sibilance is around 8-12 kHz anyway. Your de-esser probably isn't doing anything really useful.
15k+ cuts are for any "esses" that may have survived the original surgery

Quote:
NEVER copy+paste the same take to 'fatten' something up. At best, you'll just make it louder and at worst, you'll end up with lots of comb filtering. This isn't an issue if you record multiple takes and mix those, because the spectral content is different.
right but on analysis (and mixing significantly lower) the copypasta added clarity, which in my original mix, lacked even more. any suggestions on a way to post-process to increase clarity is appreciated
Quote:
Everything else
The mix as a whole lacks a lot of stereo spread, and the things that are panned wide are so low as to not have much of an effect. There isn't really any definition between what is a guitar and what is synth, etc. They both compete for the same spot in the mix and it ends up being a mess.
i'm not sure there are any synths playing while guitars play, other than simply the breathy "ambient" sound which i introduced later in the song

Quote:
My guess is that you are mixing on headphones (due to the narrow stereo spread of the mix) that have a substantial low-end boost and dip at 5 kHz.

Compare your song to professional hard rock mix. You'll see how different it really is.
well i wouldn't consider this a hard rock song nor do i listen to any hard rock so im not sure why i would do that but ok

Last edited by Epidemechanical; 05-09-2011 at 12:01 AM.