Thread: Anarchism
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #14
c03131896
Leaving in 10 days

There are many different kinds of anarchists.

I considered myself an anarcho-capitalist for a while in my 20s. I considered it the logical conclusion of the libertarian beliefs I had held before then. Basically I believed that private entities could do everything that governments currently do, but could do them better, and that what they couldn't do wasn't useful anyway.

If you're interested in anarcho-capitalism, check out "The Machinery of Freedom" by David Friedman. I believe he's put an updated copy of it online for free via his website. He's a smart guy and a very strong writer.

(Note: I am no longer an anarchist or even a libertarian.)

Anyway, I don't remember ever seeing a band that espoused true anarchist beliefs, at least not in any deliberate way. Some bands might throw out a lyric here and there that suggests anarchy, but that isn't the same thing. Anarchy also isn't the same thing as chaos or nihilism or general teenage angst. To my mind it specifically entails the argument that there should be no government, period.

There could be a "principled" anarchist band, I just haven't heard them. I don't think it would be very interesting anyway.
c03131896 is offline   Reply With Quote