View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #53
siva_chair
Upon the my oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybergasm
Hey, thank god for the total freedom of speech and congegration you guys defend so arduously. You tell people they can pretty much do whatever they want, then when something like this happens you are shocked? People do not know boundaries, it is a fact that has been proven through years- and something I prove to myself everyday (not through the actions of others, but, my own actions; I find myself doing things I preach against, such as falling on 'free speech'. Why? Because I can, and its hard to not do it).

When given the illusion of total freedom (I understand that there are certain things which aren't covered by the amendments, so I won't say that America really does say 'anything goes'... I'm saying that is the way people interpret it), people will take it too far. As is the case here. If the laws were stricter on our freedoms, we would not be seeing stuff like this.

Its a disgrace.
No, they have every right to protest funerals, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. You see, them disrupting a funeral is infringing on the rights of others, though. They aren't making it a law that they cannot protest these funerals (as well they shouldn't). They are trying to put enact restrictions on when and where they can protest said funerals. I personally think it is sick that they do this, but freedom of speech means we have to let stupid people talk, too. We don't have to let them infringe on the rights of others, though.

I support their right to protest whatever they want, but I also support the rights of the family and loved ones that are mourning thier loss.