View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #773
Convectuoso
MX Zoom Hater #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xomblies View Post
but you are saying the system is linear, so increasing room size would have the same effect as turning it down, less output means your "linear" attenuation curve falls sooner right? i think you're also overlooking the fact that we're not talking about a completely empty room here which is probably what you've been simulating. In the real world, most people in an "untreated" room often have other objects in the room: Slick reclining chairs, couches, other band members, fleshlights, pets, mountains of cocaine gear racks, even the rig/ desk the mixer is using not to mention there are a lot of factors in building a room that come into play like what type of dryall, is there wallpaper, what about glass windows? are there curtains? what about crown molding? how tall is the room?, is it vaulted? so while i'm sure your impulse response simulations of completely empty rooms with walls made of math are accurate, You can usually trust your ears more than you can some bullshit some nerd pulled off of google

i'm pretty sure all acoustic treatment techs stopped using the flether munson principle some time ago, there are more up to date sound pressure theories...

also your mix sounds really isolated, use more gates on your close mics and automate them so when the drummer does a roll it's disabled etc, ESPECIALLY on the toms. More room mics/ overheads would glue your drums together and make them sound more natural. Guitars sound really crushed and Fake. Your entire mix kinda sounds crushed as well but not in a good way, your release is set to crackhead speed making it sound jittery, if you have the ssl comp plugin, try setting your release to auto instead of turning the release time all the way down.

i think posting your music along with any advice on these threads is a good idea, it'll allow the reader to determine whether or not the person giving it knows what their doing rather than just what they're talking about.
http://soundcloud.com/convectuoso/abc12345

Do me, do me!