View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
coheneran
Banned

I'll add a British "Countdown To 1984."

> The War on Terror, and before that the War on Drugs.

> The future introduction of compulsory ID cards that contain a biometrics chip which is designed to store DNA, fingerprints, retina scans, info on piercings and tattoos and moles/birthmarks, criminal history and sometime in the future credit and medical history.

> SOCPA (Serious Organised Crime and Police Act) which made it illegal for any protests to be held within one kilometer of the Houses of Parliament without asking police permission a week in advance. This makes spontaneous demonstrations in that radius absolutely illegal.

> Refugee detention centres, which are centres of terrible human rights abuses by the privately-owned security firms who run it. These detention centres may hold any foreigner indefinitely, because unlike a crime which has a maximum amount of jail-time, refugees were not put in there for committing crimes, and therefore are held prisoner illegally and indefinitely. One man was held for five years with no clue as to when he will come out, sometimes he thought never.

> The LARR Bill (Legislative And Regulatory Reform Bill, aka Abolition of Parliament Bill), which will allow ministers to amend or repeal any existing laws, and also to create new laws and new criminal offences. This Bill, if passed, would also give ministers the power to repeal itself, and so getting rid of any safety checks and balances placed on the Bill. It could mean that there might be no more elections, because a minister could abolish the act stating that an election must be held every five years.

> Tony Blair is now speaking of amending the Human Rights Act, I'm not sure why.

> High investment in CCTV cameras, and installation of cameras on estates, with control access to residents.

That's as much as I can think of, for now.

Last edited by coheneran; 05-28-2006 at 08:06 AM.