View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #839
Moseph
search for MGWAFTNAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartomods View Post
Hey I need some advice.
Is there any recording software that can cope with two usb interfaces at same time and synch them, this would be a great cheap alternative to expensive multi track usb interfaces.

You could try driver wrappers. It's possible something like ASIO4ALL would work out for you: it generally tries to make available I/O for any devices that Windows recognizes.

There is, however, a consideration of cost-of-scale.

Consider for a moment that the Tascam US-1800 is a USB 2.0 device with 16 inputs and 4 outputs and appears to have a street price of $300. Let's ignore MIDI and the line inputs for a second and focus on the 8 channels of mic/line inputs.

Chaining together even 2 inexpensive devices (assuming it works) is will probably run you about $200-300. The cheapest new interface I'm seeing on Musiciansfriend right now that has at least 2 channels of preamps is the Alesis io|2: at $99. So for the same price (i.e., $300 for 3 Alesis units) you're looking at 3/4 the inputs of the same type, plus whatever headaches you get trying to make things work with a collection of devices held together with the digital equivalent of shoestring and chewing gum. Plus whatever might happen with MIDI devices (though I suspect this won't be a huge deal).

So unless you're planning on trying to find a bunch of interfaces used for dirt cheap, this might not be the least-expensive option (neat idea, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartomods View Post
The problem is the clock on both interfaces will be different and they will tend to desynch. Or am i wrong ?

Maybe, maybe not. If you had clock I/O, or you could set up the drivers to read from the computer or some other master device it could possibly work out for you.

Last edited by Moseph; 06-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.